Thread: Are there any wild edibles around the Memphis area?

Civil War Reenactor 154th_Seth_Adam's Avatar

Question Are there any wild edibles around the Memphis area?

Hello, I came today with a question in mind. I would like to get familiar with local edibles that I could possibly obtain to get accustomed to them. I'm a new city slicker on the forum, so I apologize if this is a rather stupid question or superficial.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - Robert Edward Lee

Can't really help you too much, as I don't live in that area....
    So just a quick look bring up this:
    http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/...nt?oid=1146631

Id'ing is important, even critical...as there are many look alikes that will make you sick or even kill you.
    Make sure what something is before eating it.

Beside id'ing the plant....you all need to know what part of the plant to eat.....berried, leaves, stalk, roots....when to harvest.... time of the year.
    Preparation on many things is important, as well.

For example Nettles, need to handled with gloves...or tongs...till they are cooked or dried.
    https://www.diynatural.com/stinging-...rvest-and-eat/

This can be a life time pursuit.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Actually, it's not a stupid question at all. There are a number of fine books on the market dealing with edible plants. However, I am going to direct you to our companion web site: wildcrafting.net. If you are asked to log in then use the same login you use here. Or you might have to register. I don't remember. It's been a while.

http://www.wildcrafting.net/states.php

Now, as for books: I use Edible Wild Plants of Eastern/Central North America by Lee Allen Peterson. I'm pretty happy with it but I know some others on here have their favorites.

The key thing about identifying edibles is to understand what they look like in every season. I would suggest you find a plant that you can easily identify. Even something like dandelion then mark it using a ribbon or something similar so that you can go back to that plant in every season. Another very good way to commit plants to memory is to draw them. Not photograph but draw them. It works very well because you must spend time looking at the nuances of the plant if you try to draw it. It doesn't matter if you are an artist or not. That's not the goal. The goal is to sit and spend time with the plant studying it from every angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Actually, it's not a stupid question at all. There are a number of fine books on the market dealing with edible plants. However, I am going to direct you to our companion web site: wildcrafting.net. If you are asked to log in then use the same login you use here. Or you might have to register. I don't remember. It's been a while.

http://www.wildcrafting.net/states.php

Now, as for books: I use Edible Wild Plants of Eastern/Central North America by Lee Allen Peterson. I'm pretty happy with it but I know some others on here have their favorites.

The key thing about identifying edibles is to understand what they look like in every season. I would suggest you find a plant that you can easily identify. Even something like dandelion then mark it using a ribbon or something similar so that you can go back to that plant in every season. Another very good way to commit plants to memory is to draw them. Not photograph but draw them. It works very well because you must spend time looking at the nuances of the plant if you try to draw it. It doesn't matter if you are an artist or not. That's not the goal. The goal is to sit and spend time with the plant studying it from every angle.

That is a heck of an idea....I do make notes and mark plant locations....just never drew them.

Used to mark roads on the pavement in line with asparagus growing in the ditch....in the fall when plants are big and have gone to seed.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Civil War Reenactor 154th_Seth_Adam's Avatar

Wow thank you guys so much!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - Robert Edward Lee

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I can give you three common eatable plants in your area you probably already know.

Dandelions
    Cat tails
    Poke salad

you can look up the preparation and uses in a google search.

Be careful with the poke salad, it has to be boiled and drained two or three times to extract the poison. I like it best scrambled with eggs and crumbled bacon.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

As already mentioned, dandilions are a pretty good option. I don't know for sure, but I'd bet there is plantain in your area as well. It has several medical uses and is completely edible.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

Pine cones have pine nuts.. sure they pretty much everywhere.
    Catstail (bullrush) seems to be everywhere
    Dandelions also seem to be everywhere.
    Blackjack? Don't know if they everywhere

A lot of species of cactus are edible. Prickly pear cactus fruit..
    Insects ( stick away from bright coloured ones)
    All birds and all fish

The rest I dont know for your area.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

This ones in Franklin Tn. but all the plants will be common to your part of the state also .

http://southernforager.blogspot.com/...&max-results=5

She will give you pictures ,parts used and recipe's .