Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by edr730 View Post
    If you are on a river you can tell if there is life and food in the river by turning over some rocks and look for life and larve. If there is none then that river isn't worth much. flight serenity flight claims
    Thanks for the tip.Before I usually just went to a spot on a river where I had seen people fishing earlier. Guess I'll be able to find my own spots from now on.
    Last edited by greybark; 08-05-2017 at 02:26 PM.

I don't think that tip works in Kenya.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I look for a "Deer Crossing" sign on the highway....as a good hunting spot.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I don't think that tip works in Kenya.
    I was there for a short visit, beautiful country. Yeah the tip doesn't apply there

Never mind, I have nothing to add - I'm just a troll.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 08-06-2017 at 10:20 PM.

So if I fold my net in half that will half the size of the mesh? Cool. And I can use a drift net for casting. Even better. I learn stuff all the time.

Now that right there is funny.....misguided and wrong, but funny.......I don't care who you are.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    So if I fold my net in half that will half the size of the mesh? Cool. And I can use a drift net for casting. Even better. I learn stuff all the time.
    Wouldn't that also fold those little fish in half?

You know, I am pretty ignorant when it comes to net fishing. Sure, I've seined for minnows or smelt (when there were smelt), but never used anything for larger fish. I've done lots of minnow trapping and I could catch a meal, if I would eat minnows, by just saying hello to the river. I could catch lots of pan fish at 7 inches and I know there are lots of those. So, my question would be how many of those 7 inch pan fish could I catch in a 3 inch wide net? Or would I only be able to catch the bass or the pike? I know I could fill a fish trap over night which would be similar to a large minnow trap full of pan fish. Would a net that size even be worth my while if I only caught a few larger fish?

smelt dipping use to be awesome, was pretty good at the green and black mallard.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

long time ago Randy. Some say the salmon ate em. Salmon are going down now, so maybe they will come back

The game wardens take a pretty dim view of survival fishing with a gill net down here.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    The game wardens take a pretty dim view of survival fishing with a gill net down here.

Alan
    I been trying to tell y'all....If your survivin'......You don't have to worry about rules...

That 3" mesh tickles me to death. The 10lb bluefish I catch on 50lb line and wire leaders in a nice kettle hole down in Chatham would go right through that 3" mesh. Most of the pan fish too like 10" scup. A 12" pogie wouldn't even notice it was there.

Folding a net to change the mesh size. LOL! Too damn funny.

I'm waiting for the instructions on making a casting net out of a 3" mesh net. Are you gonna string rocks around the edges? What are you gonna make your draw lines out of?

I'm still learning to cast one of those things for bait fish. I am so gonna starve. Good thing bluefish like anything that moves. Even the bright green floaty things I use to keep the bait off the bottom away from the crabs.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Now, now, now, Lowkey. You just might have the opportunity to learn something. Let's give the kid the benefit of the doubt and let him explain his way out of this. Yes, I agree it does seem a bit far fetched but there may be a logical explanation. He does seem to have a plethora of knowledge about...well...everything so I'm sure he knows lots and lots about this stuff we don't. Go ahead, kid, mesmerize us.

the age of infinite wisdom
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

You got your regular wing nuts. Then you got your extra special wing nuts. I think we're dealing with an extra extra special wing nut here.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

A left handed thread, cross threaded, one eared, special kind of wing nut.

Alan

you forgot the numb nut

That's what happens when you slip off your bike seat.