Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Survival Fishing

Just finished reading all the posts, even the ones by the two guys (was it only two?) who were banned.

Even though I really liked that ice fishing shanty back on the first couple of pages, ultimately I have to question the comments and advice given by the posters on this thread. Five pages of posts about so-called "survival fishing" and not a single mention of dynamite. Lol

Tell me that was an oversight or did you guys just figure it was a given?

I did enjoy the read.

Never tried dynamite, though I had uncles that had. Where I grew up the ditches were deep, and when they flooded in the spring the spawning fish went up them, later to all be trapped and everything died when the water all dried up. So we did use traps made of clothes line wire (#9 wire) for structure and covered with chicken wire. They worked modestly well, as did the old fashioned cherry bombs. Many neighbors used pitchforks, or shotguns. Dad smoked a lot of fish in the spring, he never fished himself, the neighbors gave him fish, as we lived on a crossroads and they liked a heads up if we seen a Game Warden drive by.

Quote Originally Posted by ATS View Post
    Just finished reading all the posts, even the ones by the two guys (was it only two?) who were banned.

Even though I really liked that ice fishing shanty back on the first couple of pages, ultimately I have to question the comments and advice given by the posters on this thread. Five pages of posts about so-called "survival fishing" and not a single mention of dynamite. Lol

Tell me that was an oversight or did you guys just figure it was a given?

I did enjoy the read.
    where you going to find dynamite in a survival situation, and whom on earth would put that in a survival kit?

I never even seen dynamite in real life in the 1st place, in the second place things like that are incredibly hard to even get here with out proper licencing, etc.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Quote Originally Posted by WY21lmb View Post
    Never tried dynamite, though I had uncles that had. Where I grew up the ditches were deep, and when they flooded in the spring the spawning fish went up them, later to all be trapped and everything died when the water all dried up. So we did use traps made of clothes line wire (#9 wire) for structure and covered with chicken wire. They worked modestly well, as did the old fashioned cherry bombs. Many neighbors used pitchforks, or shotguns. Dad smoked a lot of fish in the spring, he never fished himself, the neighbors gave him fish, as we lived on a crossroads and they liked a heads up if we seen a Game Warden drive by.
    Even fire works over here is illegal, and you again need a special licence for it, and a lot of protected areas, with out proper forms and permission and far away enough from animals, you land up in jail for that here.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

Personally, I prefer using snares (with gorge hooks shaped like a short pencil sharpened on both ends if I didn't [or couldn't] find a hook) (a hook [that looks like a typical fishing hook bought at any store] carved from bone also works well) when survival fishing. You can make several of these traps (shown in the following YouTube video) along a river bank, shoreline, and/or bank of a lake or farm pond and check your lines every half hour or hour and harvest your catch.

For all the visual learners in the crowd, I made a video to illustrate my fish trap method.

https://youtu.be/96a05MWVHo4

There are plenty of videos on YouTube on how to make cordage (and how to braid multiple strainds of cordage together to make stronger cordage) from grass, trees and misc plants to use as fishing line. This is a skill/craft that everyone should master (know how to perform well). For those of you who are unsure what cordage is - it can be any type rope, wire or line.

Rocks can be attached to your line using Pine Tar Epoxy which is made by mixing the following (and following the included directions:

3 Parts Pine Resin (Heated/Melted Pine Sap/Pitch) Heat it in a metal container (such as a cup, pan or tin [such as an Altoids Tin] or on a flat rock next to a bed of coals. A flat rock over a dakota fire hole works well in this scenario.

1 Part Ground/Crushed Black Wood Ash (using a makeshift mortar and pestle - a piece of wood with a bowl shaped hole or pocket (or a rock or piece of bone with a similar bowl shaped hole) and a long, slender piece of bone, rock or dry, wooden stick with a flat end used to grind/crush objects such as the black, burnt wood ash in the bowl shaped object you are using as a mortar [see "Mortar & Pestle" on Google Images to use as a guide when building your own mortar & pestle [also, make a few with and without tools as practice so you can recreate a makeshift mortar & pestle in a survival situation.

Once your pine resin has melted and your are able to stir it with a stick, slowly begin sprinkling in your black, wood ash power into the pine resin while continuing to stir the pine resin.

The warm, pine resin mixture won't be sticky anymore and will allow you to mold it around a stick like play doe before it hardens. When you need to use the pine tar epoxy, simply heat up the end of the molded epoxy on the stick and will turn to liquid allowing you to quickly add it to your project before it drys hard.

Pine Tar Epoxy is extremely strong and drys rock hard. It's useful for making a variety of fish hooks, arrowheads, repairing items, reinforcing knots/lashings and sinew used to attach arrowheads to arrow shafts, adding fishing weights to cordage (a small rock or pebbles tied to a length of cordage at least 4 to 6 inches from your hook and coated in Pine Tar Epoxy) and hundreds [if not thousands] of other uses.

Fishing knots are very important to know in these situations to hold objects together (such as the polamor knot, the improved clinch knot, the blood knot and possibly the arbor knot). If using fish traps, the Taut-line Hitch (adjustable knot) is extremely useful (as well as in several other indoor/outdoor activities/situations).

Bow fishing (archery - particularly the long bow which can be carved from scratch in the wild) and Spear fishing are quite useful when fishing in a survival situation.

A freshly cut sapling (a baby tree - preferably between the sizes of 8 foot to 16 foot with all the limbs trimmed off make extremely good fishing poles. Use a strong knot such as the Taut-line Hitch to securely tie your cordage to the sapling about a foot up from the bottom of the sapling, a continuing up the sapling - in the middle and about a foot or so down from the top of the sapling in case your fish breaks the sapling. Using a freshly cut sapling will allow your fishing pole to bend as you're pulling in your fish and make your fishing pole less likely to break.

As for bait, look for worms, grubs and salamanders under rocks and logs (beware dangerous snakes, spiders and sqorpions), search for frogs/toads around creeks, streams and ponds in the day and on the ground at night (hook a frog in the leg when using them as bait), cut bait (such as small bream, crappie, catfish or other small fish) - fish cut into 1-inch by 1-inch chunks (or larger chunks if fishing in salt water) and weighted down torwards the bottom of the water at your fishing location can yield larger fish, the guts of other animals you may have hunted with a bow, gun and/or caught in a trap make really good bait also (fish with it the same way you use cut bait).

Note: Never survive on book knowledge alone. You must practice your craft several times and be able to perform it without question for it to be a dependable survival skill. If you don't, it is merely entertainment.

Note: If you've produced/created a bugout bag and/or vehicle survival kit have not survived on that kit (tested it) in all for seasons for at least a two day weekend in an outdoor situation (camp ground or your backyard if nothing else) without using any comforts from your vehicle or house/apartment, then you should very soon. Too many people create survival kits, first aid kits, survival food kits and bugout bags without testing them in realistic scenarios and find out when they need them that they are actually unprepared for the situation that their end. It's hard to "Wing It" when it's freezing outside with 20 - 40 mph wind chill or it's 100 Degrees Fahrenheit outside and you brought an awesome water filter with you, but forgot to pack any water to drink. Test all the gear you pack for your survival in a test environment and pack two pens and a pad to write down all the things you don't need and all the things you should have packed. Everyone's needs are different. Don't depend on someone else's packing list unless you are confident it will work for you (and your possible passengers and/or family that happens to be with you during that survival scenario you may be in).

Sincerely,
    SurvivalGeek
    Monday, March 19, 2018

Antonyraison, when I was a kid it was a very different time in America. You could still often purchase dynamite in the local hardware store or lumber yard. Fireworks were, for the most part, illegal in the state where I lived, but the State line was 11 miles away and the roads just beyond that border were lined with stands selling any kind of fireworks you could imagine. In 1959, after visiting an uncle that lived on the east coast, my brother and I flew back home and landed in Minneapolis with a Remington .22 cal single shot bolt action rifle, a sporterized 7mm 1895 Chilean Mauser rifle, and a break action Stevens single shot 16 gage shotgun and a dozen or so pounds of ammunition in our suitcase.

Quote Originally Posted by WY21lmb View Post
    Antonyraison, when I was a kid it was a very different time in America. You could still often purchase dynamite in the local hardware store or lumber yard. Fireworks were, for the most part, illegal in the state where I lived, but the State line was 11 miles away and the roads just beyond that border were lined with stands selling any kind of fireworks you could imagine. In 1959, after visiting an uncle that lived on the east coast, my brother and I flew back home and landed in Minneapolis with a Remington .22 cal single shot bolt action rifle, a sporterized 7mm 1895 Chilean Mauser rifle, and a break action Stevens single shot 16 gage shotgun and a dozen or so pounds of ammunition in our suitcase.
    hectic.
    Yeah when I was younger fireworks where not illegal here either and we could get cherry bombs and other very potent fireworks... but never dynamite.

The dynamite suggestion was obviously meant as a joke. Or maybe you were pulling my leg, eh? Lol

Black walnut powder and a trot line. The powder to get worms and the trot line to use those worms. We are talking "survival" fishing so game laws get thrown out the window.

As far as the dynamite goes, anything that will explode and send a strong enough shock wave through the water to stun the fish might be good enough. First attract the fish and then boom! Possibly just a net from a portable soccer goal. Firecrackers could be used to drive the fish toward your net, if you are using a gill net, or into your fish trap.

Floating can of tannerite shot from shore.

Casting nets used on schools attracted by chum of some kind. Many options depending on what you have available to you.

Fishing with Hand Grenades!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

All I have to do to get fish is have an inflatable doll, set it up about 10 yards from me with a pole and line tied to it. Then I just start fishing along side it. The fish will think the doll is someone else and take their bait and leave mine alone. I'll never catch a thing but if I just keep baiting the dolls hook I'll get enough for supper. If only I could find a real doll to go with me in those survival situations......

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    All I have to do to get fish is have an inflatable doll, set it up about 10 yards from me with a pole and line tied to it. Then I just start fishing along side it. The fish will think the doll is someone else and take their bait and leave mine alone. I'll never catch a thing but if I just keep baiting the dolls hook I'll get enough for supper. If only I could find a real doll to go with me in those survival situations......

Alan
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post

Alan
    whahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahah... actually I know a doll this side that loves bass fishing... But very very cray cray ( and not the cray fishing cray cray, crazy cray cray)

I didn't read all post but did anyone mention using plant to fish . Putting Jimson weed in a still body of water is quite productive .

Yep, fixit, my thoughts exactly. There are several plants that will stun the fish so you can just pick them up. I look for those plants near all my fishing spots, just for reference, ya know?
    Nor did I see any mention on the various (often illegal because they are productive) techniques of set lines, trot lines, jug fishing, swimming noodle tip-ups used on open water....and only a few mentions of nets. Heck, if time were of the essence I'd just use a gill net and cook up whatever landed in it. Survival fishing also includes knowing how to cook or clean rough fish (yes, carp too) frogs, and turtles, too. Whatever comes up in that net is food.

The last thing I would use in a survival situation is a pole and line, its too slow, it only catches one fish at a time. and the natural resources cops find you waaaay too easy as you stand out in the open waiting for a bite in a well known fishing hole. If you are eating only sporadically, one fish at a time is not much. When they are biting you want enough to eat, plus some to dry/smoke/salt/can for later.

If I did not have a net, I'd much rather set up a trot line with multiple hooks (yes gorge hooks, remember this is primitive survival) and go foraging for the plants to serve with that fish, like some nice garlic mustard greens, as I look for more firewood to cook it with and check my snare line. The fish will catch themselves, and you can scout for the cops before you go pick up your line.

Sheesh people. Y'all are too much

My kit is in a med size pc of pvc tubing with 1/4 size nuts for sinkers and small hooks and a cork or 2 for bobber i can make it so i can tie it on a small diameter tree and fish passive or throwit in secure it to something and check it later

I like that kyratshooter

Hi to all,

I want to caution that I have only read and seen images about this but have not actually done it. I did recently make an "Inuit" double pointed fishing hook. You can find images of them on line particularly if you search "prehistoric hook" or "inuit hook.". Its amazingly simple design, I just made one in about an hour from a fragment of beef bone with a hacksaw and a file. Its bascially a straight piece of bone or hardwood (although I think bone would survive better), its anywhere from 1/2 inch long to as wide as you want to make it depending on how large a fish you want. It is straight, double pointed, not hook shaped at all, looks like a double pointed barb with a grove in the exact center (or a hole if you want to try it) for the fishing line. The idea is that this straight pointed bone goes inside your bait, gets swallowed by the fish, and once in the stomach, you pull the line and the barb turns sideways sticking in both sides of the fishes stomach. Obviously not a catch-and-release type hook but something that is a dedicated fish-getter. When the weather warms up I cant wait to try this on catfish, and I'm sure that I could get one of these in even a two inch minnow or a hunk of chicken liver. Id sell somebody one, but its probably better that you research and make one of your own, it was pretty easy. I plan on making a bigger one for surf fishing and experiment with that too. Thanks, hope it helps somebody. Mike

Okay one more post, just because its such an amazing device. Who has ever seen a "Worm Fiddle"? Again, amazing and easy to make. Use a broken broom stick, cut two pieces about 18 inches long, notch one stick with notches every inch and half spaced, and then whittle one end sharp. waterproof it for durability. The other stick, do nothing to it. Go to a wet, grassy place and jam the stick in as deep as it will go. Run the other part , the "fiddle" up and down the stick and get a good vibration going. if there are any earthworms nearby they will boil to the surface and you can have them for your fishing. Its amazing. If it doesnt work in one spot keep fiddling in other spots until you find worm "hotspots". I think this wouild also be a good way to start an earthworm colony but not spend a ridiculous amount of money at the 7 11 for a few pathetic worms. But we are talking wilderness survival, I think somebody should be carrying that worm fiddle. (I guess you could eat worms too, I hear they make decent "bacon bits." Enjoy.

Hi Mike, that hook you mention is also called a gorge hook.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

one method that I'm not sure if mentioned is using a couple ground rods and a dynamo
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?