Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 100

Thread: Survival Fishing

  1. #41
    Senior Member hunter63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SE/SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    26,291

    Default

    Went out to a frozen lake...with MF as a young man.
    His friend was out there some where....we didn't know where.
    MF stood there looking around, wondering which way to go......
    I said, "This way"
    He says, "How do you know?"
    ......."Tobacco juice spit spots in the snow"
    (early education of tracking survival skills)

    I think they went out there to get away for the house, drink a bit (sorry M118LR...that was waaay too fancy)..just a 1/2 pint to nip from....beer sometime freezes.

    Smoke cigars, chew spit, lie, BS, laugh, do "Guy stuff"..... and maybe catch a fish once in a while....(to make it look good)
    All Life Survival skills...
    Last edited by hunter63; 01-03-2017 at 12:39 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27


  2. #42
    Senior Member Antonyraison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Johannesburg South Africa
    Posts
    698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Went out to a frozen lake...with MF as a young man.
    His friend was out there some where....we didn't know where.
    MF stood there looking around, wondering which way to go......
    I said, "This way"
    He says, "How do you know?"
    ......."Tobacco juice spit spots in the snow"
    (early education of tracking survival skills)

    I think they went out there to get away for the house, drink a bit (sorry M118LR...that was waaay too fancy)..just a 1/2 pint to nip from....beer sometime freezes.

    Smoke cigars, chew spit, lie, BS, laugh, do "Guy stuff"..... and maybe catch a fish once in a while....(to make it look good)
    All Life Survival skills...
    Sounds like an awesome time

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Goliad, Texas
    Posts
    346

    Default

    I've never gone ice fishing. Likely never will.

    Survival fishing? Not a problem on the Gulf Coast as long as you can choke down a hardhead.

    Alan

  4. #44
    Senior Member hunter63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SE/SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    26,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    I've never gone ice fishing. Likely never will.

    Survival fishing? Not a problem on the Gulf Coast as long as you can choke down a hardhead.

    Alan
    Yeah...gotta push the boat on the ice......
    This is real survival fishing....Sometimes the pizza guy can't find your shack

    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.


    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by hunter63; 07-08-2017 at 10:14 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Goliad, Texas
    Posts
    346

    Default

    I'm acquainted with a fellow in upstate NY. He's an avid Walleye fisherman and he fishes on Lake Erie throughout the year. He's got a Lund (I can't remember what size) and he often tells of having to break through the ice to get out and get back in. He's Mid 70s and loves to fish.

    The only water that turns to ice down here is in the freezer. One time, when I was a kid, the banks of the bayous had about three feet of thin ice on them. My dad and I would toss an H&H up on the ice and slowly drag it off. About half the time a bass would take it right when it dropped off the ice. They were just sitting down there watching it.

    That's the closest I ever got to ice fishing.

    I mentioned I'm a flatlander and flat water fisherman. I also think 50 degrees F is cold.

    Alan

  6. #46
    Senior Member hunter63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SE/SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    26,291

    Default

    Y'all have wind chill index for anything under 50, .....right?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Goliad, Texas
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Yes, but wind chill was just invented so we'll feel like we're having a Winter. Most years I have tomato plants that overwinter. Even this year when we had two mornings with temps at 21 degrees it was only for those two days. That hit us pretty hard because we are not used to those temps at all. Almost everything in the green house froze and everything that was uncovered outside froze. I moved a bunch of plants next to the house and threw some plastic over them and they did just fine. The heated greenhouse froze. Go figure.

    I'm exaggerating a bit but we get nothing like even north Texas gets and even when it does get cold it only stays that way for a day or two.

    About ten years ago or so it snowed on Christmas morning. The snow stayed on the ground that day and was gone by noon the next day. We had gone to the ranch and set up camp on the day before Christmas Eve. When we went back on the day after Christmas the snow had collapsed the tent and just made a general mess. #3 son shot a buck that morning and hit it badly. That was the only time in my life I trailed a deer in snow. It's remarkably easy until the snow melts. Then it is impossible. We started off that morning in long johns and coats and were back to jeans and T-shirts by noon.

    Alan

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Goliad, Texas
    Posts
    346

    Default

    I've been up to Connecticut and Missouri in the winter time. I came back as soon as I could. 100 degrees S. TX isn't exactly comfortable but 10 degree cold Is definitely not!

    Y'all can have it and enjoy.

    Alan

  9. #49
    Ed edr730's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    somewhere in n michigan
    Posts
    586

    Default

    Wow, That's one big heavy shanty. I can see that it's the first day it's been out on the ice unless it is strictly portable. Looks like they'd almost need two car jacks to lift it up off that sled if they plan on leaving it out there.

  10. #50

    Default

    You know since the started keeping daily records of the temperature in South Florida in 1912. The coldest temps were 28 degrees and that was one day February 1919 and January 19th and 20th 1977.

    Hell last year we had a day that hit into the 40's. It warmed up to the 70's later that day though. It made the news http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/wea...124-story.html

  11. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Goliad, Texas
    Posts
    346

    Default

    What I noticed was the floor. It looks to be about 4" thick and made of composite plastic. Is that right?

    Alan

  12. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Goliad, Texas
    Posts
    346

    Default

    I suppose the thick, well insulated floor keeps the heaters from thawing the ice out from under the shack. If you built one that floats you could leave it in place all year.

    Alan

  13. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Goliad, Texas
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    You know since the started keeping daily records of the temperature in South Florida in 1912. The coldest temps were 28 degrees and that was one day February 1919 and January 19th and 20th 1977.

    Hell last year we had a day that hit into the 40's. It warmed up to the 70's later that day though. It made the news http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/wea...124-story.html
    That's my kind of weather. But, there are some days in August when I find myself wishing for a Blue Norther.

    Alan

  14. #54
    Senior Member hunter63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SE/SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    26,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edr730 View Post
    Wow, That's one big heavy shanty. I can see that it's the first day it's been out on the ice unless it is strictly portable. Looks like they'd almost need two car jacks to lift it up off that sled if they plan on leaving it out there.
    LOL...This isn't my shanty...Friend of mine sent me the pic's
    Most are left on skids or runners and can be moved by pick-up or even snow machine....if the snow isn't too deep.
    gets interesting in the spring,.....when to pull off.

    Most all have heaters...and doesn't really melt the ice......as a matter of fact, bonfires will melt a little maybe only an inch or two......but not melt thru.

    Or.....Redneck ice fishing.....
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=ice+...ih=510#imgrc=_
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Goliad, Texas
    Posts
    346

    Default

    That's really more my style but I'm not allowed to go topless.

    Alan

  16. #56
    Ed edr730's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    somewhere in n michigan
    Posts
    586

    Default

    It's an interesting shanty and would be fun to fish in for a novelty. I wouldn't expect any fire to melt the ice. Time out on the ice however will sink a shanty. They have to be blocked up as they sink every so often. If shanties are not blocked all winter, what you will see before the ice melts completely is only the roof top. The rest will be below the water line frozen in the ice. I've watched them sink in the dead of winter and chuckled...yep she's goin under. I noticed there was no blocking visible which is why I thought it was either recently put out or was portable and constantly moved.

  17. #57
    Senior Member hunter63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SE/SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    26,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edr730 View Post
    It's an interesting shanty and would be fun to fish in for a novelty. I wouldn't expect any fire to melt the ice. Time out on the ice however will sink a shanty. They have to be blocked up as they sink every so often. If shanties are not blocked all winter, what you will see before the ice melts completely is only the roof top. The rest will be below the water line frozen in the ice. I've watched them sink in the dead of winter and chuckled...yep she's goin under. I noticed there was no blocking visible which is why I thought it was either recently put out or was portable and constantly moved.
    That may be true....but that's a new one on me.

    The only shanties have seen go thru the ice were out there too early..(mild winters) or too late.
    Can't say if I ever heard of one sinking thru the ice, because it was sitting there too long.

    Ice is there that long....

    They even rent them to bunk in...along with fishing.

    http://www.twinpinesmillelacs.com/la...e-rentals.html
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

  18. #58
    Ed edr730's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    somewhere in n michigan
    Posts
    586

    Default

    Maybe blocking about five times might be right. If you set out early till late season would be more. If the winter has lots of 30 degree weather then more. I've blocked them all winter, dug them out and watched them sink. A friend was thinking of setting up some shanties this year to rent. He doesn't know if he wants to because of the blocking. I told him to make portables, hand them a spud and point at the lake and say...go out there.

  19. #59
    Senior Member hunter63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SE/SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    26,291

    Default

    At any rate.....
    Ice fishing ....as in chop a hole in the ice in northern climates and fish thru the ice....is a viable method of gathering food....
    Pop up's (spring loaded fishing rigs would increase you chances...but most people wouldn't carry them in a survival pack
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

  20. #60
    Ed edr730's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    somewhere in n michigan
    Posts
    586

    Default

    Tip ups could be rigged easy enough. Fish snares in the winter too. I wouldn't want to try to survive without the water where it seems all the food is. That would include the animals on the land that go to drink and leave heavy trails in the mud. Of course there are beaver and muskrat, minnows, crawdads, easy eggs in the spring, cat tails etc. There are a few months of the year that fishing is almost worthless. Those are just before the ice comes on and just after the ice leaves. Thin and dangerous ice would be the best ice fishing. Around here it takes till mid May before the fish bite much. There is a short 2-3 weeks when the fish bite earlier and heavy, but only in very specific areas and never in the middle of the lake. Those would be a few dams, coves, canals where larve fall. There is also a way to snare fish with a wire and lure in the middle of the winter when the fishing slows down. If you are on a river you can tell if there is life and food in the river by turning over some rocks and look for life and larve. If there is none then that river isn't worth much.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •