Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter Survival - Any ideas?

His taking the hobbits to Isengard.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Hazen audel from primal survivor stayed with cree indians and made a shelter covered 1/2 snow and made a fire out front check iy out on yt says it kept hi warm until fire went down

The most dangerous thing that you can encounter is hypothermia, so staying warm - is your top priority. On a sunny day, surviving in the woods can seem impossible. If you need proof, go no further than any of the great survival movies or adventure stories that don't take place in the snow. As a result, as the weather gets colder, getting out of a bad position becomes exponentially more difficult. A good thing to have in your car is SPAM. SPAM will get you out of any bad position. Well, any except coming back to this forum and posting a link to something I want you to buy. I really thought I was being pretty slick by waiting a couple of days to edit my post. I was wrong.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 09-13-2021 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Idiot Spammer

Some things are so predictable.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Bob, bob, bob, bob, bob. You couldn't survive in good weather what are we to expect in winter weather? You can't even qualify for troll of the week. Pathetic.

I personally love the wintertime, it truly is picturesque, but it is also filled with countless dangers.

I strongly suggest anyone wanting to try winter camping to first do it in their own backyard. It is kind of like learning to drive a stick shift on a vehicle, you can read all about it, watch videos on it, but when it is time to try it out you are going to be grinding gears.

I have no idea what Bob's total post was about, nor why he was banned, and honestly I do not care, but when he mentioned the dangers of hypothermia, I have to say that he nailed it.

Once you have already gotten to the point where you are hypothermic, your body is shaking, possibly convulsing, your hands and fingers are practically useless and unable to grip objects or ignite a Bic lighter, and your cognitive ability has diminished. Your very core temperature has decreased, and the combination of this all is will cause exhaustion.

I will list some of the most common mistakes with winter camping:

Clothing:

First mistake that most people make it wearing cotton clothing in wintertime, or in any cooler season for that matter. Cotton absorbs moisture, meaning your sweat, it takes a long time to dry out, and it loses its' warmth when wet. It is best to having material that wicks moisture such as fleece, wool, and other synthetics.

Your main priority is to not only stay warm, but also to prevent yourself from overheating. Many people start off their adventure hike wearing all their layering, and that is also a mistake. When you first get out of your vehicle to leave on your hike, your body temperature is already warm, and you are now doing physical exertion that results in you generating heat. Wearing all of your insulation at this point will most likely result in your body overheating and causes you to sweat.
    ( i strongly suggest buying layers that have ventilation zippers so that you can regulate your heat, and these layers should all be breathable and able to wick moisture away from your skin and other layers)

One of the most common mistakes in winter camping is not having an air mattress or sleeping pad with a R value rating 5+. This is the insulation rating of the pad, and it is the only thing that is separating the cold from the ground below. I have seen so many campers complain how cold their night was and how their sleeping bag temperature rating is inaccurate but in reality the culprit was their sleeping pad not being at the proper R value rating.

Another mistake people make is not reading the fine print on their sleeping bag. There are temperature measurements that are listed, and so many people confuse max temperature that the bag was tested at versus the comfort temperature of the bag. So although a sleeping bag may say it is a 0 degree F sleeping bag, the bag's comfort level may be at 10-15 degrees F. Some sleeping bags temperature rating is also based under the assumption that you are wearing mid to heavyweight base layers, socks, and a hat, and all winter sleeping bags are assuming your mattress pad has at least a R value of 5. So sleeping in a 0 degree F sleeping bag, while not wearing any base layers, and while on a summer rated mattress pad when it is 20 degrees F. you are going to freeze your @#$ off...

Before you go out on your winter camping adventure, and after you tested your setup overnight in your backyard, google "How to treat hypothermia" , " How to prevent frostbite"

Some helpful suggestions When you are having mild hypothermia, your hands are going to be cold. It is going to be hard to grip items, to strike your ferro rod, or to light your Bic lighter. The loss of dexterity in your hands and fingers are the reason for this. Buying one-hand operated Ferro rods, push button lighters (vs that rotating steel style lighters), and electric handwarmers that have an easy on/off switch to press, vs those disposable handwarmers that you will not be able to rip the plastic packaging.

I also suggest buying a couple Mylar Solar Blankets and a Dollar Store translucent shower curtain, as these items combined with a fire can create a shelter that will reflect the heat that is absorbed through the shower curtain and trap it within your jury rigged shelter. the fire is outside and emits heat that passes through shower curtain then gets reflected from the Mylar blanket that is on the floor ,the backwall, and the ceiling, and now this heat is building up within the shelter as it is constantly being reflected back towards you. I have seen setups like this where the outdoor temperature is below freezing but inside this man made shelter, the temperatures are above 75 degrees.