Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Always Trust Your Vehicle's GPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I saw that as well. However, I would never let my wife set off alone in a snow covered desolate landscape when the vehicle had the greater chance of being spotted. That's just the chivalrous chauvinist in me I guess.
    Nor would I, but that being said I'm in better shape than she is and know more bushcraft. This woman's apparently a triathlete and such, so it's a different sort of situation.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I am at a loss.

Remind me what we blamed getting lost on before the GPS was invented?

Anyone besides me ever stop to ask for directions and have the person working in the store say they did not know where something was because they did not live nearby? That always made me wonder how far they had driven to work for minimum wage in a convenience store?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I am at a loss.

Remind me what we blamed getting lost on before the GPS was invented?

Anyone besides me ever stop to ask for directions and have the person working in the store say they did not know where something was because they did not live nearby? That always made me wonder how far they had driven to work for minimum wage in a convenience store?
    You are correct....can't say when I ran into anyone that even had a clue where anything was ....mostly all along interstates.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    You are correct....can't say when I ran into anyone that even had a clue where anything was ....mostly all along interstates.
    It's almost like they have to commute to work and know their own area better or something. Crazy talk.

I once was lost but now I'm found.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have never been lost but, for some reason, many folks think I should get lost and have expressed it to me several times. Maybe they think it will enlighten me. Who knows.

I have not been lost in a looong time, mostly due to buying the GPS.

In all the years of using it I have always known one sure place it will take me with the simple push of a button,,

HOME!

It always knows the way home.

Fact is, there are several places I go on a regular basis which I can not find on my own. They are places that are confusing as all get out to find, way off the beaten track in the back woods and I am not really interested in having every bump in the road memorized. They are programmed into the GPS and all I do is touch the screen and let that girl with the nice voice tell me where to turn.

Besides, she is the only woman that talks to me on a regular basis without swearing when I mess up.

Did you know......Did you know, if you program your address into HOME in your GPS and it gets stolen the thieves will know where you live. Instead, program HOME to be a house near you. Preferably a neighbor you are not very fond of. That way if it does get stolen the thieves will rob their house instead of yours. Just make certain you know the way home from their house without the GPS.

My "home" is Publix. I spend enough time and money there that it may as well be.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Did you know......Did you know, if you program your address into HOME in your GPS and it gets stolen the thieves will know where you live. Instead, program HOME to be a house near you. Preferably a neighbor you are not very fond of. That way if it does get stolen the thieves will rob their house instead of yours. Just make certain you know the way home from their house without the GPS.
    Already did that. I use the address of the Judge that lives around the corner.

If thieves hit his house there WILL be an investigation!

Besides, he has better stuff than I do and the crooks would appreciate it more.

It always knows the way home.

Fact is, there are several places I go on a regular basis which I can not find on my own. They are places that are confusing as all get out to find, way off the beaten track in the back woods and I am not really interested in having every bump in the road memorized. They are programmed into the GPS and all I do is touch the screen and let that girl with the nice voice tell me where to turn.

Besides, she is the only woman that talks to me on a regular basis without swearing when I mess up.
    I don't know, mine argues with me.........when I don't follow her directions......for a while anyway....then says...."Calculating new route"
    Kinda snarky though....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Large bipedal Primate Billofthenorth's Avatar

Here's a thought.

Who said he LET her do anything?
    Yeah, property rights have been eroded to the point that women are considered equals in some places.

I don't know, mine argues with me.........when I don't follow her directions......for a while anyway....then says...."Calculating new route"
    Kinda snarky though....
    I was riding with a guy that had downloaded Sam Kinison as the voice of his GPS. It yelled at you if you missed a turn. Kind of cool for a little while, but I'd have to shoot my GPS after a while.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Kinda snarky though....
    When I was driving trucks long distance, I had a GPS that I called my re-calculator. It was always saying "re-calculating". Hahaha.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Already did that. I use the address of the Judge that lives around the corner.

If thieves hit his house there WILL be an investigation!

Besides, he has better stuff than I do and the crooks would appreciate it more.
    Now that is funny...I don't care who you are...

Many times I was in a foreign country looking for an address. I was walking, and had a map. I knew where I was, and where I was going. However, since I was on a street corner looking at a map, the locals felt it necessary to help me. So, they would ask where I was going. After I told them, they would give me directions. The directions were always wrong. I would smile and thank them, then go on my way, following the map.

Maps are very useful.

One time I was backpacking on a 50 mile loop. On day 4 we ran into a couple who were lost. I asked where their map was. They didn't have one. Didn't think they needed one. They also didn't have a gps, or phone etc. I gave them one of the extra maps I had printed off, and wished them well. He was also carrying 2 packs, and she wasn't carrying anything. So much for equality.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I shall leave a quote from my mentor and survival instructor here; "you're never lost,you are just temporarily misplaced!" -Herman Roos
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05