Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Always Trust Your Vehicle's GPS!

Default Always Trust Your Vehicle's GPS!

And never bother taking "survival" stuff with you when you head out into the boonies in the winter. A GPS and cell phone are all you need.

http://ktla.com/2016/12/26/mother-wa...-grand-canyon/

Wonder what kind of "wilderness survival" course she/he attended??

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Maybe not well trained but she's one tough cookie! 26 miles through the cold and snow in 30 hours? She's got a lot more iron in her than I do!

Can't get the article to come up....
    "Recover we page"....and"Long running script" errors......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

What husband lets their wife set off alone in the wilderness? After a couple of days he gets out of the car and finds a cell phone signal. That's got to make her awfully proud of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    What husband lets their wife set off alone in the wilderness? After a couple of days he gets out of the car and finds a cell phone signal. That's got to make her awfully proud of him.
    Rick, did you notice the picture of the husband? He looked like Pajama Boy with a beard.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

No surprise of the husband's actions, huh?

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Obviously you were sick the day they had gender equality training!

There are several issues to deal with here, one being that the Grand Canyon is not a place you want to visit in winter. Especially the less developed north side. My last visit was in April, to the south side, and there was still snow cover.

But I know a few Pennsylvania liberals and I am quite sure they expected the snows to part like the Red Sea ahead of their absurd desires.

This is the second or third of these "Lost on a back road out west" scenarios we have seen this year. All of them seem to be attempting to hold the GPS at fault for not realizing the operators were morons and there was snow on the ground.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman
    He looked like Pajama Boy with a beard.

Now that right there is funny. A little older but none the wiser.

The other day, I heard someone talking about driving the speed limit that their GPS said, rather than what the speed limit sign said. Their comment was "How could a cop give me a ticket, when I'm going the speed that my GPS said was OK?"
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Just show them this picture and say, "That's how". Check the kid's hands. He's counting all the reasons he should NOT get this ticket. GPS said 45....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

the only things I trust are my compass and the moss that grows on the east side of the tree.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

North side.......

According the article she was into fitness and had some kind of "survival training" so they thought she had a better shot of getting out. I thought from the title that she had hiked out and saved them. Then when I saw he went and found a cell signal I wondered why they didn't just doo that in the first place. Or burn tire or something. geez...
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

I saw that as well. However, I would never let my wife set off alone in a snow covered desolate landscape when the vehicle had the greater chance of being spotted. That's just the chivalrous chauvinist in me I guess.

Just happy it turned out as well as it did...
    Coulda, woulda, shoulda ....always brought up....never means much.
    We are just going over the situation in our minds and expressing our concern and wondering what we would do.

This is a survival forum, the group in general tends to be the DYI, take care of your yourself by being prepared and paying attention...crowd.

Post the same thing on a political forum...the talk would have been tax cuts ( DEM/GOP)causing the road to be unmarked.
    Travel forum would be a different GPS and On star ads....
    You get the drift?

Basically 911 has altered Darwin Theory...for good or bad

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Here's a thought.

Who said he LET her do anything?

I was married to a real hard headed, bi-polar woman who might have dragged the entire family into the frozen abbess, watch all of us die, then claimed we were all just "weak".

The guy might have been staying in the car to protect his son from the irrational decisions of his crazy wife who decided to abandon the vehicle before trying all the other logical steps toward safety!

Just because she is in good shape and watched a guy make fire with a ferro rod once does not mean she has s#!t for brains.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Banned

Talk about your Dual Survival differences of opinions!
    Let the Man who has never been directed by his spouse to "Stop and get directions" cast the first stone.
    She obviously felt that triathlete training, an iron will and her survival classes would overcome anything that nature could toss at her. (School of hard knocks)
    Perhaps he had watched Survivorman in norway, so he decided on a different option.

.LOL. I don't "let" my wife do anything. And she doesn't "let" me do what I want.
    I think the moral of the story should be adequate survival kits given the environment.

...and maps/compass.

ps - my wife has developed into an outstanding navigator. She can find a TJ Max or a BassPro like a bloodhound on a scent trail.

I read an interview of the woman in the hospital with her husband, "Pajama Male," sitting beside the bed. They arrogantly ignored the signs denoting the North Rim road "Closed" and decided to find a GPS off road route to the North Rim. They had virtually no proper winter gear or supplies. She is a professor at a college. I'll take a WAG that she and her husband are both raving liberals who believe they are so superior they do not have to obey "the rules."

Here is what the government advises visitors not to do at this time of the year. They completely ignored it and very nearly paid a fatal price.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/north-rim.htm

I'd also bet they both voted for Hillary. The fit the mold.

S.M.

Deleted.......

Let me tell you how cold it can be in the Grand Canyon. My wife and I were there in May and there was still snow on the ground. The wind whistling up the canyon was flippin' freezing. You can drive for a very long time and see one house....maybe. God be with you if you are low on gas. Trying that in December is a tad on the stupid side but, hey, Darwin didn't make a living on survival of the dumbest.