Thread: Apiaceae

Default Apiaceae

I have been foraging for a couple years now but I've always been worried about the Apiaceae family. I've heard that it can be difficult to separate the poisonous from the edible. So I present these questions:

1. what are some more simple plants in the family to identify?

2. what are some key identifying features of these plants: Petroselinum crispum, Daucus carota, and Foeniculum vulgare? (I figure going with plants similar to ones I know might be a little easier)

3. finally, what are the lookalikes of these plants I should look out for?

any more info would also be appreciated.

Well, poison poison hemlock is one, which has been enough to keep me at distance. If a plant has a dangerous look alike as deadly as poison hemlock, I steer clear of the family. There are just too many plants out there to choose from to take that kind of risk. That's as far as I can help you with that.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Some of these questions are right up there with "Which caliber would you rather be shot with?"

I remember a bit of advice from the Boy Scout Handbook of 1958 that went something like "You can eat anything that walks, crawls or flies, but 90% of the plants on the planet will kill you."
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?