Thread: HI & Eager to learn

Default HI & Eager to learn

I am 47 Years old.

Male, Father of three on boy two girls.

Small town about 70 miles north of Houston, Texas.

Director of IT at a luxury Resort, was a Tow boat captain, Carpenter and General contractor. I know vast array of jobs I started working very young as a carpenter built lots of houses then started big commercial jobs, then decided to work on the boats, which gave 10 days on 10 days off and when i was off took classes and learned on my own more about computers and applied to IBM, got the job and never jumped careers again.

No professional training, just got lucky enough to be born in Louisiana and raised by a man that taught me how to hunt, fish, live off the land and how to make what I need. There is a lot I don't know how to do mainly because its been many years sense I've done any real wilderness camping.

Just mainly with my dad growing up, we have primitive camped, all around the country, Cajun back country (wetlands), Colorado, Wyoming (Favorite place), West Virginia (Appalachian Trail, NOT the whole thing).

I would consider myself intermediate, you know just enough to be self sufficient and really wanting to get out more and gives me and my son more time to spend together.

Just trying to plan my first primitive camp now, since my son is showing a lot of interest, he finally went on a rabbit and squirrel hunt by himself and had some fun and got half a dozen squirrel, so that has really inspired him to want to take it even further.

Smoking and curing meats (almost every weekend its not raining), hunting, fishing, camping and old trucks (I have a 1950 Ford F1 original flat head V8 needs more work but hey it drives).

Found this forum by accident really, and liked the articles I read. So I want to learn more, all I can really, before I take my son out on a real primitive camp in the Sam Houston National forest, its not far away and we can easily find our way back. Some of the thing i want to learn more about are snares, traps and do they allow making semi permanent structures in the national forest, like lean-to's and stuff?

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome....From Wisconsin.
    Excellent intro....Thanks
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Welcome home.

Hello and welcome.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

Hello and welcome from Pennsylvania.

Welcome
    I don't know how trapping works over in the US, but here in SA you cant really just set traps, you could be fined if caught, however I doubt they would really kick up a fuss if it was really a survival situation, or on someones private land.
    I also consider myself intermediate, have 2 years experience with wilderness survival out here in South Africa.
    Traps are great, and quiet a passive way of acquiring food, and quiet easy to set up, I am only familiar with a few:
    * poite deadfall (or a figure 4 dead fall trap)
    *plat form Trap
    * ojibwa bird trap
    * snare (just your standard one made from wire or paracord)
    * fish trap made from an old bottle, or weaved, or using rocks to trap them with directing the fish into a type of rock kraal (i dont know if there is an english word for that hahha "kraal") using the flow of the waters..

I am sure there are many videos you could find on youtube for these, and likely way more experienced trappers than I.
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 12-21-2016 at 03:05 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05