Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primitive Strike a Light -iron pyrite

I often wondered who was brave enough to approach a lightning strike....find a fire burning.
    Found a couple of charred small animals..... tried munching on one and said....
    ."Ug, fo gota!...Ama honcho fo u".......(Fire good, I am King now or I burn you.....)
    Last edited by hunter63; 12-21-2016 at 10:57 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have made char-cloth and char-punk many times by burying the material under a couple of inches of packed dirt and raking coals in top of the burial spot. Burns the material like it was in an oven, but without oxygen.

Some of the people using the natural pyrites would have had woven textiles but the textiles were too valuable to use as fire starting material. Easier to use natural fiber, fungus or charred punk-wood.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

You wonder how many touched fire from that lightening strike and then everyone turned and walked away. "I told you it was evil."

Allen Beauchamp did a very nice article a few years back on rock on rock fire:

http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/surv...bww/index.html

Here's one on pyrite against pyrite:

http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/surv...orm/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I have made char-cloth and char-punk many times by burying the material under a couple of inches of packed dirt and raking coals in top of the burial spot. Burns the material like it was in an oven, but without oxygen.

Some of the people using the natural pyrites would have had woven textiles but the textiles were too valuable to use as fire starting material. Easier to use natural fiber, fungus or charred punk-wood.
    The contents of Otiz belt....fire making kit reflected this....
    From the OP posted site
    Quote>
    The true tinder fungus consists of approximately four pieces which when put together, are about 2" square. This fungus can be found on dead and dying birch and beech trees and is parasitical. Fomes fomentarius is an important part of a Neolithic fire making kit. The inner layers must be cut out and then pounded or ground to enhance its spark-catching qualities. This prepared fungus together with flint and iron pyrite will catch a spark that can be blown into an ember and was a primary fire starting technique used in the Neolithic. Even into modern times, Fomes is still used medicinally and to make a suede-like felt, used as a craft material. Microscopic analysis of the tinder fungus in the pouch showed traces of iron pyrite particles in its fibrous structure, although no pyrite was discovered near the Iceman or his equipment. Perhaps his care and experience carrying live coals lessened his apparent need for making sure he had pyrite in his pouch.< quote.

Perhaps the Iceman lost his ferro rod!

I need a good piece of sparking pyrite to add to my demonstration kit for use at the historic and archaeology sites.

Does anyone have access to any of this material? It is not native to where I am located to my knowledge.

If anyone has access to it please send me a PM.

Make that 2 ....have just a little lump and isn't real pure....lots of quartz....

We need firerocks!

try craig razat at neolithics.com
    he's in KY too he mave or be able to stir you in that direction
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.

Hayshaker, those guys are in Oklahoma and specialize in flint.