Thread: water powered light

Default water powered light

Whatch-y'all think bout this?

(Hope this doesn't qualify as 'advertising' - would another kind of vid be better?)
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 12-15-2016 at 08:43 AM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

If you don't sell it then you are good to go.

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

All their previous product like the Hydro-Light 500 works with salt water, so unless you live near the shore you have to carry salt with you just for that purpose, this most be a new dosing good to go mostly everywhere but the desert, I would not share my water with a flashlight in that situation. $39.99 not a bad price unless shipping and handling is way overboard.

That's actually pretty cool......Hummmmm
    Looks like 200hr life?
    Thanks for posting....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Kinda misleading since it isn't powered by water.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I'm thinking that thing would never go out in a rainstorm.

I gonna guess it's a chemical reaction water active......so once it starts....won't shut down.
    Yeah...says turn the switch off...... but will run till it dry's out or depletion.
    Light stick?

It can go out in a rainstorm. It is basically just a different type of battery. A battery needs an anode, a cathode, and an electrolyte. The cathode will degrade over time and eventually make the battery not work anymore. The water is the electrolyte. It does turn off, if you break the circuit, just like a battery. I couldn't see the website due to my company blocking it, but I found a 240 hr total run time before you need to replace the cathode. They say it is inexpensive, but I didn't see how much it costs.

For an emergency light, it still might be a good product. If it has a really long shelf life when stored dry, it might be more reliable (or at least less hassle) than a normal flashlight with a primary lithium battery sitting on a shelf long term. It also presents another option. So, why chose between it and a normal flashlight with batteries? Store both, and hopefully, when you need it, one works. This kinda feeds into the kerosene lantern discussion. As a normal use flashlight, you have to compare the cost of the cathode with the run time against the cost of a normal light and replacement batteries (or rechargeable ones).
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    It can go out in a rainstorm. It is basically just a different type of battery. A battery needs an anode, a cathode, and an electrolyte. The cathode will degrade over time and eventually make the battery not work anymore. The water is the electrolyte. It does turn off, if you break the circuit, just like a battery. I couldn't see the website due to my company blocking it, but I found a 240 hr total run time before you need to replace the cathode. They say it is inexpensive, but I didn't see how much it costs.

For an emergency light, it still might be a good product. If it has a really long shelf life when stored dry, it might be more reliable (or at least less hassle) than a normal flashlight with a primary lithium battery sitting on a shelf long term. It also presents another option. So, why chose between it and a normal flashlight with batteries? Store both, and hopefully, when you need it, one works. This kinda feeds into the kerosene lantern discussion. As a normal use flashlight, you have to compare the cost of the cathode with the run time against the cost of a normal light and replacement batteries (or rechargeable ones).
    Well put....and agree....many options make a lot of sense.

Along the same lines are the "shake a light" and crank flashlights......but would stop before believing "I will never have to buy batteries again".

The was a sale of crank flashlights for about $10 bucks each....and included a single key fob LED flash light.
    Bought around 10 or so....and gave them away to friends and family.....wasn't much interest from others....most ended up in a drawers etc.

Light didn't last long on a "cranking".....a took a while to make work......but was still a back up when regular batteries were dead...and no spares.

So, I guess I would look at these the same way....something to keep in an emergency and would last a long time if kept dry.
    Kinda like the "lantern feature" as well.

Yea I always liked the not all eggs in one basket approach to many things. When talking about prepping, emergencies, and survival, a basic tenet should be just that...not a particular thing, but many things for having many options, let alone redundancy. I'd have this thing for when it just happened to be really needed, not for regular use.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward