Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kerosene Lanterns Vs. Battery

Default Kerosene Lanterns Vs. Battery

I did a search for a thread on this but didn't find anything recent, so here goes.

When I was a little guy, my parents lived off-grid in Eastern Washington, we had a large collection of Kerosene/oil lamps and lanterns. Several of these were Aladdin Lamps, a couple old lanterns, and some cheap oil lamps. We used these daily and I do not remember a single battery powered option.

Battery technology (and LED technology) has come a long way since then and I own several battery lanterns along with 5 or 6 kerosene options. I really like the battery lights, they are easy enough for the kids to use, don't smell, safer, and cheap to run. I recently bought 5 gallons of lamp grade kerosene, but ouch! almost $90 for 5 gallons. I can buy 100 AA batteries on Amazon for about $25.

So my question is this, excluding a TEOTWAWKI scenario, what major advantages do oil lamps have over battery lamps? Many of the battery options now are rechargeable. An example I own is the GoalZero lighthouse 250, it can be plugged into a USB port to recharge, has a hand crank (that actually works) and can be set to use only half the LED bulbs if the lantern is set against a wall. I also have a couple cheaper Coleman battery lamps that are nice but nowhere near the quality of the GoalZero. Streamlight and Princeton Tec have some good looking options as well.

So why bother with kerosene? How about propane lanterns?
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If you are using Alladin pressure lamps you might need the filtered fuel but if you are using regular wick type lanterns they will burn anything down to #2 diesel at $2.50 a gallon and work fine. I do not even notice the smell others complain about but you might.

I have both oil and electric options and they are just that, options. You are also leaving out the third and probably best option, which is propane and a Coleman type lantern.

If you are out of power for several days the solar backup might not keep up with your battery recharge demands, especially on sunless days like the one I am having today, and there are places where an oil lamp is convenient for constant lighting.

I used to hang a lantern on the door of the outhouse at certain campsites and left it burning all night to guide folks down the little path with less stumbling and cursing. One of the Wallmart lanterns will burn all night on a few ounces of whatever fuel you pour in.

One thing about modern LED technology is that many of the lanterns have two settings, and the low setting will give enough light to get around without eating up your batteries. I am talking 100+ hours of battery life, which is a full week of nighttime lighting, more if you are only lighting 5-6 hours a night.

My main standby system is propane. I have a distribution tree somewhere around here that fits a 20# tank and a double mantle lantern that puts out 100W of light. That was what I used part of the time when I was living off grid. It also puts out a huge amount of heat which was handy in cold weather. Not so good in the 100 degree temps of TN in summer. Then I used electric.

What I used before converting to propane was the Coleman duel fuel lanterns burning regular unleaded gasoline and that was back when gas was $1 a gallon. I could not keep them running and I do not have the lantern skills like Rick does! So propane was the best option for me.

But I am not doing away with my electric lanterns and lights, or the oil lamps. Each has it place and usefulness.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-14-2016 at 05:43 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

We keep several "bottles" of lamp oil (gal-1/2)....no, not the fancy smelling stuff just plain lamp oil......
    That would run our 2 lamps at the city house for a while.
    This not a primary ...just an option
    At "The Place" the cabin....maybe the same amount.... we have several lamps, plus 3 lanterns...

Propane is very useful as well....a do use them a lot as well as the stove and Mr. Buddy heater. They are the camping trailer staple and house back up.....Need spare mantles.

Also use candle lanterns one for each room.....and a lot of spares candle....quick easy to light, no messing with wicks or cleaning glass.
    These are from out Rondy days....

But that said....If starting from nothing... I would goes with battery powered units.

I really could use a few battery lanterns and lamps....and the rechargeable batteries.
    Do have a small solar charger...and a cheapo solar array that is still in the box.

All these are short term and portable....
    For long term and portable, would really like several Muli-fuel Britelyt lanterns.......

http://www.britelyt.com/lanterns/fue...uidelines.html
    Kinda pricey ....
    These will burn most everything
    https://shop.britelyt.com/lantern-packages/
    If I was moving to a remote location for long term....it would be these.

For real long term would be the 12 or 24vdc lights and appliances.....with the solar charger and high end batteries and inverter.
    Last edited by hunter63; 12-14-2016 at 05:53 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

A kerosene lantern will still warm the outhouse and give light. You can't do that with a battery powered light.

I prefer the light that an oil/kerosene lamp throws for just sitting around and relaxing. When I'm working I prefer the battery operated lamp because of the amount of light it throws to illuminate my work.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I wonder about the longevity and durability of a battery lantern. I have dietz oil lanterns that were made in the 1920s that are still going strong.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I had never used headlamps until a few years ago when Harbor Freight gave them away as free gifts.

The next time I had to do work on something in the dark I thought I had invented fire!

Both hands free and light exactly where you want it, how can you beat that!

I have headlamps and cap lights everywhere now, in tool boxes, in the vehicles, in the kitchen drawers.

They are great for reading and not just for work applications.

Randy the life span on LED stuff is practically unlimited. Bulb life is measured in thousands of hours. As long as you can keep live batteries in them they will last practically forever.

I do have one old florescent tube battery light that I bought back in 2001. I used it for general lighting in the cabin and off and on for camping. It is still going strong.

As for the life span of the Dietz lanterns?? Who knows, I guess they would rust out eventually.

As long as you have some kind of oil, a glass jar with a lid and some cotton string, or a clam shell and twist of cordage you can always make an oil lamp. Oil lamps are some of the oldest artifacts found in historic record.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-14-2016 at 08:22 PM.

headlamps are awesome. I've been wanting to get a 6 volt coonhunters light.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    A kerosene lantern will still warm the outhouse and give light. You can't do that with a battery powered light.

and might or maybe consume the oxygen.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I thought that might be part of it. I think there is a Dietz lantern you can even cook on. LED's don't put off much heat.

As far as headlamps go I love them. Having been active in the Caving community for several years doing surveying and cartography, I learned headlamps are very important. I have several hanging by the door, which comes in handy this time of year with our 6 hours of daylight.

As far as durability goes there isn't much to go wrong short of a discharged battery. They may not be made of metal but LED bulbs are virtually unbreakable, so your main enemies will be dead batteries or maybe corrosion of wires if water somehow (most quality ones are waterproof) gets inside the battery compartment. One of my daughters accidentally knocked my GoalZero light off the table and it didn't miss a beat. I don't like the thought of dropping a lit oil lamp.

I don't have any intention of getting rid of my oil lamps. Having more than one option in any emergency is just good sense.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I wonder about the longevity and durability of a battery lantern. I have dietz oil lanterns that were made in the 1920s that are still going strong.
    Well in the past I would have shared your sentiment- there is a ton of junk out there. Now there are very well made cob LEDS at 30 watts. Projects on AA are to be avoided. Lithium and chargers are better qualified to deliver longer lasting power. Or use a AA litium rechargeable in a pinch.

CLICK Here is a starter unit.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 12-14-2016 at 09:22 PM.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

have any recommended brand names?

This is better if you can afford it - lithium and true cobb LED.

CLICK

Cheaper and two ...

https://www.amazon.com/HeroBeam-LED-...+lantern&psc=1
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 12-14-2016 at 09:47 PM.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    This is better if you can afford it - lithium and true cobb LED.

CLICK
    thanks, that looks like a good one

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    have any recommended brand names?
    No Nothing is made here anymore.... not even a BMW. It's all from CHiannnna!

You may think I am kidding, And all puns intended are there because I do care, and Name brands are a hoax, as they apply the label and make it more expensive. For example for 20+ years all Sony TV was made in Japan... Then we had 10 years of mass production in Mexico. There are now twenty+ companies in car manufacture in Mexico.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 12-14-2016 at 09:56 PM.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I did not know there were 20 companies making cars!

The entire car manufacturing industry of the world must be in Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by WOO
    and might or maybe consume the oxygen.

I suppose if you intend to linger for a while then you might have a problem. But if you need a lantern to heat the outhouse then it's too cold to linger. A lantern in the outhouse was pretty standard fair until indoor plumbing. The famous crescent moon (or other cutouts in the door) are there for venting and lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushman View Post
    I don't have any intention of getting rid of my oil lamps. Having more than one option in any emergency is just good sense.
    This really is the answer to your question. The more options the better. Why do we need to choose? Putting a bottle of Kerosene and a couple lanterns on the shelf don't hurt much. Don't forget candle lanterns as well.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I suppose if you intend to linger for a while then you might have a problem. But if you need a lantern to heat the outhouse then it's too cold to linger. A lantern in the outhouse was pretty standard fair until indoor plumbing. The famous crescent moon (or other cutouts in the door) are there for venting and lighting. [/COLOR]
    LOL.....This brings to mind a particularly cold deer season like -10 or so......in our 16 ft Shasta travel trailer....and a "A" frame camping trailer for sleeping and such.

We were using a Port-s-potty in the shed...as the was 4 people in camp...tried to keep the porty-a potty and the shed warm....had a small electric heater.
    Wasn't keeping up.
    Added a Quartz Radiant Heater to help out.....That heats "objects"....not "the air".....trained it on the potty
    http://www.newair.com/articles/conve...diant-heating/

O-Dark thirty headed out for a visit.....was real cold, so turned up the radiant heater to high.......gave it another 15 min.
    Now it's getting "important" cold or not....went in still cold...hauled trou....sat down....the potty was so hot... it about stuck to my posterior.
    Replace it with a bigger electric convection heater.

God bless all those that came before and are still using that little house ...with a lantern.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have oil lanterns for in the house, kerosene for in the shop, and candles and LED lanterns for backup, doesn't hurt to have them all! Also have a large stockpile of batteries. Duracell batteries have a shelf life of 10 years so stockpiling batteries works well now that they have the extended shelf life!
    Also have 2 generators as well!
    Sir Knife Collectin, Rocket Ridin, Girl Crazy Post
    Hoe of WSF