Thread: Spicing things up?

Default Spicing things up?

I'm trying to find a good spice to carry in a pack that would make my survival grains more palatable. I'm carrying rice, oatmeal, buckwheat and whatever else I may find that will cook well with some boiling water. In a pure survival situation I'm sure warm and filling would be enough, but as Im now just camping and exploring some flavor would be nice. Thanks for your input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It depends, Tabasco, tumeric, bullion cubes, etc.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Garlic, SeasonAll, Sugar, Cinnamon. Depends on how you cook them and what your tastes are. Whatever you like you can carry. Dried spices are pretty lightweight. Crush them between index finger and thumb before you add them and you will release the oils in the plant increasing the flavor.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Rice, oatmeal,buckwheat are three things that have no flavor to start with. They are also generally considered breakfast foods.

Being a southern boy I have experience with jazzing up flavorless items in a proper non-yankee fashion. Comes from eating all those grits!

There are three main items one will always need; butter, brown sugar, maple syrup/molasses/corn syrup.

You can buy powdered butter about anywhere, The brown sugar keeps forever as will the syrups.

I would drop the buckwheat and replace it with a couple of pounds of flour and a bit of baking powder. It will make pancakes, bread, bannock, biscuits, and serve as a base for gravies. It adds bulk to foraged meats and can be flavored with berries or herbs in any of its forms.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-11-2016 at 08:37 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Banned

Since the spice trade of the 1800's the 3 most sought after spices are Black Pepper, Cinnamon, and Nutmeg. Things that can be locally harvested Maple Syrup, Stevia vice sugar etc, probably aren't worth thier weight in the pack. But if it's convenience vice necessity, pack the items you like best.

Grains I like salt, butter, and or brown sugar.
    Meats.... pepper, Tobasco, Mrs. dash
    veggies... butter, salt pepper.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I'd keep spices simple. Salt, pepper, garlic powder and sugar. For me personally, I'd focus on fats, that's where really good flavor comes from. Lard, butter, cheese and oils would all be valuble food items on a trek. These items do tend to be heavy, but most of them last a while without refridgeration. If you clarify the butter before the trek it can last for months.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

Banned

Now looking at this from the other eye, grains are what you mix with Salt Pork and Beans to survive. Old folk's used to call grains, extender's. They are what you use to make protein rich meals go further, while you are gathering local greens to complete a balanced diet. There was a reason why Frontiersmen used to serve the livestock bruised oats while they ate meals of locally procured game animals. You can live off grains, but you won't thrive on a diet of grains. Protein is the greatest source energy during any survival situation. JMHO.

Thanks for all the answers. Lots of great ideas. I've used mountain house for years but I'm looking to get away from processed food.

If you are gonna do rabbit and squirrel as a forage protein....Bacon....Salted and dried.
    Anything is better with bacon...LOL.....and has the fats you need to stay warm

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    If you are gonna do rabbit and squirrel as a forage protein....Bacon....Salted and dried.
    Anything is better with bacon...LOL.....and has the fats you need to stay warm
    Can't agree with Y'all more hunter63, now all those folks have to do is survive with that cholesterol high diet?????
    But that might be for folks that ain't lived in the wild's?
    We shouldn't be conversing about folk that live in cubicles like "Whack a moles" they could be the future of this country??????????????

They say for every pound of bacon eaten it will take off 5 years of your life. If this were true, I'd have died in 1823...
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

I'm a big fan of bacon and squirrels but wild bacon is hard to come by and squirrels are pretty small in Alaska. Porcupine and raven would be more abundant.

whisky

Just kidding. Try Old Bay, I love the stuff. Aside from that I have tons of hot sauces and spices but to pick just one I would need to go with Old Bay simply because it covers everything

Tony Chachere Creole is a good seasoning for meats and various soups. I carry that, Augeson Farms Butter powder, sugar, brown sugar and salt in small sealed plastic containers. That seems to season just about anything I can cook in the bush!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushman View Post
    They say for every pound of bacon eaten it will take off 5 years of your life. If this were true, I'd have died in 1823...
    Ain't THAT the truth....
    Doc says I can have 2 beers a day.....Tonight's are for Oct.2 #1 and 2 ...2023....
    Don't want to fall behind.

two beers a day, I'll save mine up all week and drink them on Saturday night lol
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?