Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making Money in Wilderness Lifestyle

I have a "regular" job, but I also do some analysis work on a freelance basis. If I could ever ditch the "regular" one, I'm sure I could continue the other gig wherever I was, as long as i had a computer and connection. I assume those of you who are living out in the "bush" have satellite connections?
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Satellite connections? I'll bet the CAT 5 cord for that puppy is expensive.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Firewood, watching peoples camps while they are away, guide service,
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

Based on what Wild Woman has posted on other threads it looks like it is possible to get by on quite a bit less than most of us are used to. I imagine that takes adujusting just like anything else.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Driftwood. When I live up in your neck of the woods Woodwoes we did alot of motorcycle touring. One of my favorite rides was in the Ocean Shores area. Lot's of driftwood. Tourists will buy anything.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah, I've thought about loading up a semi full of beautiful driftwood specimens and taking it to NYC. The artsy types might go nuts over it.
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

Woodwose, there might be a glut of it in the PNW but there isn't in Indiana. If you set up an internet site, you can ship it anywhere. Of course you have the issue of getting to the post office.

I second (or third) the drift wood idea. People are a bit goofy for drift wood.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertRogers View Post
    Firewood, watching peoples camps while they are away, guide service,
    Or depending on your morality, watching for when people are away from their camps.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelius95 View Post
    I have a "regular" job, but I also do some analysis work on a freelance basis. If I could ever ditch the "regular" one, I'm sure I could continue the other gig wherever I was, as long as i had a computer and connection. I assume those of you who are living out in the "bush" have satellite connections?
    There's a number of companies that specialize in satellite internet for remote locations. Our connection is over hughes.net and works okay, with the occasional glitches. It's not a cheap way to go, especially since you have to get the installer out to your remote location to set it up, and also if it ever totally craps out. But if you can earn your annual income that way, run your telephone via voip, and utilize it for shopping (forget about taking advantage of sales at the store when you live in the bush) and banking as well, I think it is the best option. In Canada, radio phones are getting phased out anyway, and sat phones haven't really gone down in price, so some form of telecommunication is needed anyway for emergencies at the very least.
    So when are you moving out into the woods, Aurelius?!
    Actions speak louder than words

Banned
    Blog Entries

Radio Phones, WOW, I'll bet the kids born with a Blackberry up their butt, and a i-phone growing out each ear, never knew some people have radio phone. Your that we used to use commercial AM radio stations to send bush messages. They most likely think LANDLINES or HARDWIRE is prehistoric.

Even the first dial up "cell" phones was the old "Do you copy, over? Bzzzz, crackle, bzzzzzz."

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    Radio Phones, WOW, I'll bet the kids born with a Blackberry up their butt, and a i-phone growing out each ear, never knew some people have radio phone. Your that we used to use commercial AM radio stations to send bush messages. They most likely think LANDLINES or HARDWIRE is prehistoric.

The Bush Pipeline
    Caribou Clatters

I remember them well

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    They most likely think LANDLINES or HARDWIRE is prehistoric.
    Yeah, didn't they dig up some of those things in that archeological site where they found the intact tyranosaurus rex skeleton? I'm pretty sure that's what that was.

Assitant: "Boss, look what I found! It's a hardwired LANDLINE! Perfectly preserved."

Researcher: "Go toss it in the rubbish pile with all the rest of the debris and useless junk. Then come help me recover this femur."
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams

Well, would you look at that Coot? Alpine just shelved us with the dinosaurs. Figures! Of course, I do remember stringing open wire while sitting on top a Brontosaurus's head once. Bucket trucks hadn't been invented yet.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I am shocked. These kids don't realize that anything that goes thru the air can be listened to. The only secure connections are good ole landlines working off fiber. They talk like this is new stuff and I worked on the first ESS(electronic switching system) back in 1965 when they were a twinkle in their daddy's eye. Open wire and cross arms made a man out of you, and if you couldn't climb a high pole with 60 or so lbs of tools and an 85lb lasher on your chest you weren't man enough for the job. Just a bunch of button pushers now, probably get disability for a hangnail. Dogs, snakes, irate husbands and women that locked you in the basement, they would fold up quick. Those were the days when we were WHALES AMONG MINNOWS, and otta show us more respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    I am shocked. These kids don't realize that anything that goes thru the air can be listened to. The only secure connections are good ole landlines working off fiber. They talk like this is new stuff and I worked on the first ESS(electronic switching system) back in 1965 when they were a twinkle in their daddy's eye. Open wire and cross arms made a man out of you, and if you couldn't climb a high pole with 60 or so lbs of tools and an 85lb lasher on your chest you weren't man enough for the job. Just a bunch of button pushers now, probably get disability for a hangnail. Dogs, snakes, irate husbands and women that locked you in the basement, they would fold up quick. Those were the days when we were WHALES AMONG MINNOWS, and otta show us more respect.
    roflmao. Anthing that goes over a land line is easier to tap than wireless. wireless you have to be either able to de-crypt the signal, or at least figure out how it's encoded. With a landline, all I have to do is walk up to the side of your house at night with a pair of alligator clips and a 100ft modular cord terminated with a RJ-11. Even if it's fiber, the easiest point is at the DTE. *shrug* and you're right. All I do is push buttons. The buttons that make the internet work. That cable/dsl/sat connection you got? What makes you think somebody's not sniffin' that with a layer 3 packet sniffer? And if you're on a Windows machine or a Mac? Chances are you are pwn3d and don't even realize your box was rooted until the IRC channel gets activated and the botnet is kicked on. And I do understand the technologies. You may have been the guy pluggin in cables, but I'm the guy that's managing the protocols flowing over those cables. Yup. I don't gotta climb a pole with 1000 lbs of gear. After spending years busting my butt as a roofer, construction, the army, etc etc, I prefer to use my brain for my job, and my body for my fun.

Besides, when you can explain the differences between the DOD TCP/IP stack and the OSI model then we can talk communications.
    Last edited by Alpine_Sapper; 05-18-2008 at 09:43 PM.
    Samuel Adams

But seriously, I got respect for what you guys did/do. Without it none of the technologies what I work with would exist. I was just ruffling your feathers a bit.
    Samuel Adams

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Talking Ruffling Our Feathers, Nah

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine_Sapper View Post
    But seriously, I got respect for what you guys did/do. Without it none of the technologies what I work with would exist. I was just ruffling your feathers a bit.
    I enjoyed it. I have been on the sideline for 12yrs and that's an eternity in communications. I went to school a few times a year just to keep up then. We used a breakdown to find taps, but it melted a few telephones, caught a trailer on fire, caught an access point on fire, killed a dog and started a fire in pulp cable, scrambled a SAC base and other fun things. I dearly loved to play "shrink" when I had to check for taps. I would go inside and over a cup of coffee the nice ladies would tell "why" they thought their line was tapped, and the stories you couldn't make up.. I will admit we were light years behind you but I bet there's no way you could have the fun we did and still have a job. I guess we were rude, crude and socially unacceptable but after floods, hurricanes and other disasters we were very "popular"

Amen to the stories. There was the main control panel in Brazil built by the Nazis that control all the world's power and phones (true story). The monkey that climbs the tree in the alley to listen to her calls (true story). And you all thought you invented paranoia.

I'm not certain when we stopped using breakdown sets but it was for the same reasons you described. Liability issues and all that. Probably about the same time they remove the pike poles from the trucks and the crumb shovels.

I make a fairly steady income doing freelance work online. This includes writing, web development, software development, and various entrepreneurial ventures. I've found it to be a nice way to make some money, if you have any interest in that sort of thing.

Perhaps the best part about it is that you can get into it without any formal education; all you need is a bit of gumption and some online tutorials
    The mind is a space with no clear or discernible goals, where the Id, Ego, and Anima come together to exchange cookie recipes.