Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Alone Season 3

You won! Nice job Zach.

Congratulations
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Congrats on winning
    Semper Paratus

See Fowler, told ya I knew you won from the very beginning. It was obvious for me. Congrats, man!

Congrats Zach.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

Congratulations Zach, I liked your strategy; never give-up and never surrender.
    Last edited by Pennsylvania Mike; 02-10-2017 at 02:54 PM.

Unfortunately I've never seen the show .........yet, (no tv). That's quite an accomplishment for you, good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by kaze View Post
    See Fowler, told ya I knew you won from the very beginning. It was obvious for me. Congrats, man!
    Yes, you called it ...Zach was posting like a winner....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Well done Mr Fowler. It was an impressive season. Did they tell you guys from the start that you would be removed for failing to keep up body weight?

I'm a bit torn on that as it changes it from a game of will to a game of actual survival, but you can't have people just dying I reckon.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Congratulations Mr. Fowler. Thank you very much for sharing your insight here. I hope this really makes a very positive difference in your life and for your family.

Makery and Mischief

Wow phone is blowing up. In case you are wondering what im doing with the money her is my latest Youtube Video >https://youtu.be/NAQY2I6mWQs

I will get in hear and read and answer everybody's questions over the next few days as I can find the time. This whole thing is been very much for the family just been trying to spend some time together in and around the whirlwind. Thanks for all the support and for watching!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats, Uncle Zach. Don't forget the family.

Congrats from Australia Zack...whilst any of the final 4 were deserving as a father of 2 girls I'm glad you won. Loved seeing the homecoming with your girls...such a lovely family you have!

My thoughts on "Alone" as a big fan of " Alaska He Man Shows" as I call them.

Alone quickly became a favorite of mine right up there with "Life Below Zero". Both show extreme living conditions without Hollywood hype. I like the fact that Alone gives you the equipment and training (I am sure) in production, how to set up scenes and so forth without the intervention of a production crew.

The harsh conditions of living off the land by yourself gives the viewer a way to "be there right alongside" the action. "Alaskan Bush People" seems to staged and you have to wonder the family gets the money for an eighty foot boat, land to build on and a ton of weapons when no one has a job. But I do like the premise of extreme living.

"Naked and Afraid" is too, too extreme. To be shoved out into wilderness with nothing but a knife and a pot is a little extreme without some kind of close in support. One female contestant was in obvious pain as bugs had bitten every square inch of her body and were "attracted to my vagina" as she put it. Twenty-one days is crazy and the audience never knows what the contestants receive for their terror.

At least "Alone" gives the contestants a hit list to pick their ten unique items, a clothes allotment, and safety equipment. I used to be a great shot with a slingshot back in the day (wrist rocket). All it took was daily practice with marbles and before you knew it, I was knocking birds out of bushes left and right.

There is a new similar show on called "The Wheel". I watched a couple episodes already and even though the premise is similar to "Alone", the contestants are pulled out of their respective environments on a regular basis and thrown into another environment to fend for themselves. This show has a production crew with each member even though the contestants have self filming capabilities. This show does not offer me the feeling of being right there with them as "Alone" does.

I did watch some episodes of Season 2 of "Alone" but that makes me look forward to watching Season 1 and 2 on video.

I do have one rant about the show "Alone". I find it difficult to keep track of when new episodes are being ran. There seems to be a lack of teasers out there on other cable channels directing the viewer to what day and when air times are. Maybe this is just me.

There are a few other shows on that are not on anymore because I felt that the viewers were not given sufficient notices to air time. "Port Protection" is one of them that comes to mind. A great show about a secluded Alaskan town and its few residents. There was great filming in this show but sadly it is off the air most likely for lack of viewers of which I attribute to the audience not knowing air dates and times.

"Yukon Men" is another well produced show about another small Alaskan village and its people. "The Last Alaskans" is again well produced.

"The Last Alaskans" is not "IN YOUR FACE" with extreme filming either. There are few spoken words compared to the scenery which I find is the centerpiece of attraction. Similar to "Alone", the scenery is what draws my attention and keeps me right there.

There was one show called "The Edge of Alaska" about life in a small mining town that relies heavily on tourism to stay alive. However, the constant bickering and arguing between the people of the town turned me off completely. Great scenery but I have had enough fighting and arguing as a little kid to last me a lifetime. No thanks as it brings back too many memories . . . ugh!

87 days. Despite it being rough and not all roses, It's a (almost) 3 month vacation being out in the awesome bush doing crafty bush survival stuff, and getting paid for it. Sigh...
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    87 days. Despite it being rough and not all roses, It's a (almost) 3 month vacation being out in the awesome bush doing crafty bush survival stuff, and getting paid for it. Sigh...
    Only one gets "paid" for it. The rest have a vacation.. . .

This season really shows that the 11th item on the list for all contestants should be to pack as much fat on their bodies as they can before the start of the contest. If having below 17 BMI can disqualify a contestant, then it should be imperative to be overweight at the start of the contest. It's a huge advantage. I remember the previous winners of Alone said that's part of their strategy to add extra weight before the contest. And it proves very vital in this season as both Dave and Carleigh we pulled out for being too skinny. I think they both started the contest with relatively thin figures. If I were them, I would be obese going into the show. lol

I know that (or at least hope) some of what you were saying was tongue in cheek......or spoon in mouth. I disagree very strongly with purposely going in overweight or obese. A rapid weight gain as you suggest is not healthy. Additionally, your body will not be used to it and will be unable to perform at the level that you are accustomed. Making sure you are fit is imperative. Putting on a few pounds would not be harmful, but beyond that would be a very, very bad idea IMO.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I know that (or at least hope) some of what you were saying was tongue in cheek......or spoon in mouth. I disagree very strongly with purposely going in overweight or obese. A rapid weight gain as you suggest is not healthy. Additionally, your body will not be used to it and will be unable to perform at the level that you are accustomed. Making sure you are fit is imperative. Putting on a few pounds would not be harmful, but beyond that would be a very, very bad idea IMO.
    Yeah, go in naturally fat, like me. :P
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Yeah, but it you are naturally fat that is a whole nuther game. That is what you are accustomed to.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel