Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alone Season 3

Makery and Mischief

I got to try some of the Pemican after it was all over and man was that stuff good. The pemican the others brought was all stoped at customs and never made it down there but production found a local that made it for people down there for people doing expeditions. It was made of organic (witch down there is well almost everything because why not raze it for free without junk) beaf, duck fat and native berries of some sort that were quit good. I would have brought some home but well customs and all that.

Makery and Mischief

you guys may like this net perspective on survival tips related to the show. 5 Laws of Survival You Can't Ignore. It it is a collaboration between history channel and the YouTube channel ultimate survival tips. ://youtu.be/pyK9VC0Rkfc
    Last edited by Zachary Fowler; 12-15-2016 at 07:08 AM.

Duck fat for the pemican. I would have never thought of that.
    That will be going on a list of things to taste, it sounds unique.

I talked to Dave from the last season. He took 5 lbs of pemmican and had 2 lbs left when he won, he was keeping it "just in case".
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Makery and Mischief

Ya he wasn't struggling nearly as bad as they make it look with creative editing.

Saw episode 2. Are they just going to repeat last season, only with different people and a different place. First episode, guy leaves within 2 days. Then someone leaves because they cut themselves with an axe.

In all seriousness, that is the second time someone cut themselves with an axe and needed immediate aid. Just goes to show how important safe axe handling is. You might not be in a situation where you could call someone.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

How about they do a 1 week "qualifier" trip before they start calling people "experts" and allowing them into the program?

It does not seem they are vetting the contestants all that well and makes me wonder what it takes to get excluded from the final selection!

It would almost be more fun to bet on who loses their ferro rod, who gets cut with their axe, who taps out because they have a hot wife/girlfriend, which mom has to see her kids and who goes swinging through the trees nutty as a fruitcake and too crazy to tap out.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I think the ax accidents both last season and this were due to distraction. I believe both that hurt themselves were probably competent with an ax, but not used to keeping a film diary and explaining everything to the camera. In both cases I think they were distracted (filming and talking) which lead to the accidents they had.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Saw episode 2. Are they just going to repeat last season, only with different people and a different place. First episode, guy leaves within 2 days. Then someone leaves because they cut themselves with an axe.

In all seriousness, that is the second time someone cut themselves with an axe and needed immediate aid. Just goes to show how important safe axe handling is. You might not be in a situation where you could call someone.
    He was walking with a knife on one hand and the axe on the other hand with no sheath on either one of them swatting at the bush and complaining about everything he was tripping on, I saw that coming before it happened, like they were preparing you for what it was to happen, I'm not saying it was planned that way, just plain carelessness.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was always told when growing up that a hatchet was the most dangerous cutting tool in camp. Now at age 53 I find it to be absolutely true. The contestants need to go through Tot'n Chit training required for every Boy Scout around the world.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Yep, the definition of an "expert" seems to be a whompin' great, huge, variable these days.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    How about they do a 1 week "qualifier" trip before they start calling people "experts" and allowing them into the program?

It does not seem they are vetting the contestants all that well and makes me wonder what it takes to get excluded from the final selection!

It would almost be more fun to bet on who loses their ferro rod, who gets cut with their axe, who taps out because they have a hot wife/girlfriend, which mom has to see her kids and who goes swinging through the trees nutty as a fruitcake and too crazy to tap out.
    That made me laugh. When my wife saw the lady say goodbye to her kids, she said "yeah, she is tapping early". I will laugh really hard if someone looses their ferro rod though.

Quote Originally Posted by pgvoutdoors View Post
    I was always told when growing up that a hatchet was the most dangerous cutting tool in camp. Now at age 53 I find it to be absolutely true. The contestants need to go through Tot'n Chit training required for every Boy Scout around the world.
    Absolutely!

One thing I just thought about.... this season won't have a lot of opportunity to "scavenge" for man made stuff. It looks like nothing is on a coast. Everything looks like in-land mountain freshwater lakes.

That made me laugh. When my wife saw the lady say goodbye to her kids, she said "yeah, she is tapping early". I will laugh really hard if someone looses their ferro rod though.
    Someone lost their ferro rod in both the previous seasons, why not this one?

I have not seen either episode and I can make a good guess at what is happening. I guess that reflects the sameness of the shows even when they move the venue half way around the world. Like all of them, they have their pattern in place and only have so many possible conclusions.

The only thing that has not happened yet is that no one has been attacked by a predator and required evac. Some evacuated because they were scared over close calls, but none were injured.

What are they going to do if one of their contestants walks into the woods and disappears? Camp gone, tools gone, shelters gone and no trace of the woodsman?
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-19-2016 at 08:26 PM.

First stiches ...and scar was about age 10 (birthday present).... with my Craftsmen Rubber Handled hatchet.....chopping on a knee high branch...glanced off, into my right ankle...
    Thru the side my new high top, leather boots....4 stiches and a identification scar.

Still have the hatchet...and the scar....not the boots
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Oh come on, if they can't observe the most basic of safety measures (which have been taught by others blood) what makes us believe that they are going to survive? After all, this is only TV and they all choose to be put into this scenario. It's a learning/self discovery situation, no TV network could afford the liability of tossing folks into an uncontrolled survival situation. It's entertainment, for couch potatoes like us. It's still enjoyable to watch, but the majority aren't or won't ever be in a situation like this ever again. JMO.

(Nobody wants to see anyone get hurt, the producers take every measure to ensure that candidates remain healthy, and an animal induced fatality or a person disappearing would be catastrophic.)
    Last edited by M118LR; 12-20-2016 at 08:39 PM.

Good episode. Britt is doing good. Callie's home looks fantastic. And Dan reminds me of Larry from last season, already sound depressing. Carleigh looks like she's already home sick, I don't think she will last long.

Zach, whatever you do, don't move to Seattle.

I do see a problem of taking river rocks to make a fire hearth. Am I the only one?

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Zach, whatever you do, don't move to Seattle.

I do see a problem of taking river rocks to make a fire hearth. Am I the only one?
    Even very dense rocks can have micro fractures that hold water which will lead to steam explosions and fragmentations. Slowly heating the rocks can safely sweat the moisture out.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com