Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battle Belt

Default Battle Belt

So......what to do with an old model M-1956 canvas pistol belt that fit me in my youth but is about 10" too short nowadays? Hrm......

This is a google pic of the belt I speak of: https://www.sparks-military.com/1612...am-war-era.jpg

Well, you make a Battle Belt of course!!

I took three pieces of 14 oz canvas and cut them into two @ 5"x36" and one at 5"x32". On the 32" piece, I sewed 1" OD webbing to make the MOLLE attachment pattern:
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Which made this:

And then I took 1" thick foam and cut it to 4" wide by 30" and sandwiched that between the two 36" pieces and sewed them together. The canvas belt slides between them and the 32" piece with MOLLE. I used spray adhesive to keep it in place while sewing:

Then on the other 36" piece, I sewed anti-slip shelving material:

and used more of the 1" webbing to make the seam that surrounds the edges of the two 36" layers that get sewed together [encapsulating the foam]. This was really tough to stitch straight and aside from the half-dozen mistakes I already corrected, there are a few spots where the stitch just veers off.

I've since made 2" wide "belt extensions" from black canvas and used Velcro as the buckle method. I forgot to get pics of them...but they loop through the brass buckle and are stitched in place, then overlap like any common velcro belt attachment method.

Last edited by druid; 12-07-2016 at 11:49 PM.
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

~~Declaration of Independence

Looks like another project well done.....and a recycled one at that.
    Nice.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Bought one for my grandson a while back.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/46555028?...&wl13=&veh=sem
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

That anti-slip shelving stuff looks like a great idea. I wonder how tough it ends up being. Anyways, looks really good.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Looks like another project well done.....and a recycled one at that.
    Nice.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Bought one for my grandson a while back.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/46555028?...&wl13=&veh=sem
    hardyharhar LOL

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    That anti-slip shelving stuff looks like a great idea. I wonder how tough it ends up being. Anyways, looks really good.
    No idea. I had a roll of it laying around and figured "what the Hell, why not?" LOL. Thanks.
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

I have been thinking about making a battle belt. Part of that has been debating with myself on whether to put anti-slip stuff on the inside. This gives me an idea.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

You need some suspenders.

That belt is going to be overloaded immediately and hanging somewhere down around you knees.

Instead of using a heavy belt with suspenders, could a hunting or fishing vest with many pockets be an option?

Not if he's going to use it with the vest he already made. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...try-my-hand-at
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    I have been thinking about making a battle belt. Part of that has been debating with myself on whether to put anti-slip stuff on the inside. This gives me an idea.
    the "inside" two layers that have the padding - should be long enough to cover the front of your hip bones, plus 3" on each side...so if you measure from the forward point of your hip bone, around the back to the same point on the other side, ad 6".

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    You need some suspenders.
    That belt is going to be overloaded immediately and hanging somewhere down around you knees.
    You are right and I already know that. What I've been debating is adding permanent suspenders or "D" rings and clips to my vest.....or suspenders+"D" rings, that I can clip it to either. I'm leaning towards the last, just haven't decided yet.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Not if he's going to use it with the vest he already made. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...try-my-hand-at
    Correct. Like I said, I have a choice to make.......just haven't made it yet.

I added clip on spenders on my fanny pack for a while.....helps some...but just got to be too much "stuff going and hanging here and there.
    Ended up putting the whole thing in a gas mask bag carried messenger style.

I would go with the "D" rings and spenders with clips....in case you want to take it off.

Many of us suffer from noassatol....so a lot of weight on a belt doesn't carry well. .... (pants fall down)

Batman's gonna give you a call to place an order.

Yea, 'spenders is the secret ingredient.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Cool....You've been busy.......Nice.
    Why handcuffs?

Nice work.

Why handcuffs?
    In case he runs across Ruth and she says no?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

ooooow kinky....

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Cool....You've been busy.......Nice.
    Why handcuffs?
    The handcuffs are to lock the Segway to the bike rack.

Now that right there is funny......I don't care who you are.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

lol.....the cuffs go along with the badge and gun. It's nice having equipment immediately available to show the Court I have intentions on bringing someone to justice.

...but in the case of total breakdown where the badge means less than nothing, [always possible, though improbable] I still have an immediate method of restraining someone in the [hopeful] chance I don't have to kill them. In a "total breakdown" scenario, any intelligence gathering prospect cannot be acquired from a corpse.

Men with badges gathering intelligence from subjects restrained in handcuffs after a "total breakdown"???

Very enlightening self concept.