Thread: Tactical Precision Rifle Scope + Reticle.

Banned

Default Tactical Precision Rifle Scope + Reticle.

Madame President has lost, I now find myself in need of a Tactical Precision Rifle and would like some input on what scope and reticle Y'all would consider.

It will probably be a Remington based flat topped AR platform, 800 meters minimum, and I have used all the German Optics on other rifles in the past. (This is a replacement for an M1A Supermatch equipped with a 3-15 Steiner with a MSR reticle) I am not concerned with the price tag, but I would prefer input based on experience.

Yes, I still possess the required skill to put a single round on target at 800 Meters. Now what piece of glass would you/ should I mount on this platform????????

Thank Y'all for your opinions/experience in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by M118LR View Post

It will probably be a Remington based flat topped AR platform, 800 meters minimum,
    AR 5.56 or 308?
    Popular 6 mm upper or other offering?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

5.56-6mm 800 meter minimum?????
    7.62 NATO or more. But is this a criteria for what optic????????
    But as my moniker is M118LR, perhaps it's best we stick to this.
    Last edited by M118LR; 12-07-2016 at 09:59 PM. Reason: nom de plume

Gottcha....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Gottcha....
    Guess there was a reason I asked about optic, but if it's more interesting to discuss the platform???? Okay, bang away.

You said AR platform and discussed Remington...????
    So I guess I was confused....Sorry.

Then again "meters" is above my pay grade.....I do yards...
    So I guess you need to talk to military background.
    Good luck

I don't own one of these myself, but a buddy of mine as one of these on his M1A, and dang its a nice scope. Pretty mid range for a Tac scope price wise, but since its $777.77 obviously it was meant to be.

https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-Mark-...tactical+scope

The glass is crazy clear and he's been smacking steel out to 500 yards, which is about as far as any target will ever be in our temperate rain forest.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yea, in my area an 880 yard shot would require permission from 9 land owners to cross their property to check the target.

The only place you will find a clear shot at that range around here is along the interstate right of way.

We have a couple of long range shooting facilities but the three hour drive, high cost of club membership and limited usefulness to these venues hardly justifies the cost of competitive equipment.

So I have never researched the gear needed to reach out to those points and have no input, or interest.

Good luck with that.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Banned

You said AR platform and discussed Remington...????
    So I guess I was confused....Sorry.

Then again "meters" is above my pay grade.....I do yards...
    So I guess you need to talk to military background.
    Good luck
    Remington has allot of subsidiaries along with the R25. DPMS AAC etc.

Leupold makes the 34mm scope for the M2010, it's got a bit more magnification which might help an Old Blind Man like me when conditions are right. Thanks for the input, price point is unbeatable for a quality American made scope.

Remington has allot of subsidiaries along with the R25. DPMS AAC etc.

Leupold makes the 34mm scope for the M2010, it's got a bit more magnification which might help an Old Blind Man like me when conditions are right. Thanks for the input, price point is unbeatable for a quality American made scope.
    Take a look at Nikon! They have some really good scopes at good prices! I use them on a lot of my rifles and have never had one of them fail yet!

What caliber are you going to shoot 800 meters? That is an almost impossible shot with any AR platform that I know of!! For that kind of range I'm thinking a minimum of .308, 7MM or 300 Win Mag with a bolt action rifle.
    A .308 will shoot that far accurately but from a bolt action rifle in my opinion! Maybe the AR platform has come farther than I give them credit for??? I don't keep up with AR's anymore so I could be wrong!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...cope?a=1929400
    Last edited by Wildthang; 12-08-2016 at 01:56 PM.

I wish I could give you personal experience. But, I haven't bought it yet. It is on my list and will be the next scope I buy. The link is below. There are other similar options on that website. All I and you can ever really do is look through the many internet reviews. I have seen a lot of really positive reviews, and no bad ones. Feel free to search youtube, other forums, etc for more reviews. I also recommend a reticle that matches the turret. Not necessary, but less to think about. Of course, personally, I will probably never move the turret once it is zeroed in. I am not an 800m shooter. I am very near sighted, and my glasses are thick. Anything past 300m, I can't see anyways to be able to line my scope up with it to see it and shoot it. I have a 1/2in thick, 10 in diameter steel plate that I have a really hard time finding in my scope at more than 300. Good luck.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactic...pe-P87718.aspx
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Banned

On occasion I get a chance to shoot up at Fort Stewart, they got some folks there that can do some pretty amazing things with AR's. If the winds are calm the 1000 yard (914 meter) line isn't out of thier range.

With the M1A Supermatch and the proper 7.62 x 51/.308 Win load it is completely up to the nut behind the butt at 1000 yards Wildthang. Once upon a time I might have scored better with a bolt, but my skills are no longer at that level. I required the extra couple of inches of Douglas Air Gauged barrel on the M1A SM just to remain competitive with the folks shooting the 20 inched M110's at the 1000 yard line. Our tax dollars ain't going to waste, JMHO.

I really like the concept of first focal plane illuminated quad reticle on SWFA SS HD, but I've passed due to the published thickness of the cross-hairs. Not to mention I have a real trust in items that carry a NSN Label. http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-5-20x50-T...pe-P51642.aspx

I've got to admit that my favorite reticle for long distance target shooting is the Old Premier Gen 2 XR FFP, but allot of folks think it's to thin at all but the highest magnifications. The P4F is another accomplished long distance reticle, and I've been using the MSR which allows for better ranging but is a bit busy for regular target shooting. (PS the 3-15 MSR reticle is thicker than the 5-25 MSR reticle on Steiner optics) All the Horus reticles are just to busy for an Old Mildot guy like me.

Well, There you go....got'er all figured out.

Banned

Well, There you go....got'er all figured out.
    Just about everything except what optic with what reticle performs the best on a flat topped AR.

Just because I've got a bit of experience behind a bolt action or M14NM/M1A that don't make me any smarter with a AR on my shoulder. Please remember that AR's are breaking all the Old Time M-14 shooting records, Old Dog's need to learn new tricks or they just succumb to today's Warrior's.

Banned

Ain't many options left for the Gen 2 XR, just S&B + US Optics and both are custom orders nowadays hunter63. I was kind of hoping for something a bit more off the rack.

On occasion I get a chance to shoot up at Fort Stewart, they got some folks there that can do some pretty amazing things with AR's. If the winds are calm the 1000 yard (914 meter) line isn't out of thier range.

With the M1A Supermatch and the proper 7.62 x 51/.308 Win load it is completely up to the nut behind the butt at 1000 yards Wildthang. Once upon a time I might have scored better with a bolt, but my skills are no longer at that level. I required the extra couple of inches of Douglas Air Gauged barrel on the M1A SM just to remain competitive with the folks shooting the 20 inched M110's at the 1000 yard line. Our tax dollars ain't going to waste, JMHO.

I really like the concept of first focal plane illuminated quad reticle on SWFA SS HD, but I've passed due to the published thickness of the cross-hairs. Not to mention I have a real trust in items that carry a NSN Label. http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-5-20x50-T...pe-P51642.aspx

I've got to admit that my favorite reticle for long distance target shooting is the Old Premier Gen 2 XR FFP, but allot of folks think it's to thin at all but the highest magnifications. The P4F is another accomplished long distance reticle, and I've been using the MSR which allows for better ranging but is a bit busy for regular target shooting. (PS the 3-15 MSR reticle is thicker than the 5-25 MSR reticle on Steiner optics) All the Horus reticles are just to busy for an Old Mildot guy like me.
    if you are an old mildot guy, then there is no reason to look at other options. All you have to do is narrow it down between a Marine Corps mil-dot, or an Army one. After that, call up Us Optics and tell them what you want. I think they have NSN numbered ones? Also, you can buy them on Amazon, Cabelas, and other "off the shelf" places.
    Last edited by finallyME; 12-12-2016 at 06:38 PM.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    if you are an old mildot guy, then there is no reason to look at other options. All you have to do is narrow it down between a Marine Corps mil-dot, or an Army one. After that, call up Us Optics and tell them what you want. I think they have NSN numbered ones? Also, you can buy them on Amazon, Cabelas, and other "off the shelf" places.
    Thanks finallyME, the Old Solid Footballs or Solid Circles conversation has given way to Open Circles and hash-marks. Example: http://weaveroptics.com/downloads/WO...e_11_x_8-5.pdf

or the Klien reticle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

While we are discussing nostalgia, how about one of these finallyME:
    Attached Images Attached Images