Thread: Anyone Geocach??

Default Anyone Geocach??

Im trying to firgure out how to use my Garmin (GPSmap 62s) for geocaching. I downloaded the Geocach app but they want money (of course). Does anyone here know where to get free waypoints and/or geocaches? Any good apps or websites?
    Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Banned

Sounds like interesting sport, but all the caches I visit are located via non-GPS methods. A liquid filled compass and a set of ranger beads is about the level of my technology.

Lot of people do that ....and is a good way to get out and about.
    Like anything.....if you want to play you need to pay......

Have a newer Garmin in my truck that I argue with,...a Nextar in the other truck, that tell me where I came from....and a old hand held (?) that I have had for 20 years that I have never figured out how it works.

Use a flip phone....so no apps.....
    Sorry.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Just google "free geocaching software". You should get some hits you can use or at least research. I deleted your other post since you only need to make one post. Everyone will see it.

I've never tried finding one intentionally, but I found 3 different ones over the years just by roaming around in the woods.

Like Rick said, a little Google-Fu should turn up something.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

I do geocach and really enjoy it when I do have the time, however I use my smart phone (andriod) for it, it has it's own built in GPS, and I use www.geocaching.com for all my caching waypoints, you can download waypoint for garmin,and other gps on this site also... I never paid for anything, their app for andriod works well, but I found a better andriod app called c:geo which uses the gps better and has more readable and accurate use of its compass, and also give you access to the premium caches, which the geocaching app does not unless you a paying registered member.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Your gps costs over $200, but you don't want to spend any more? Geocaching is as expensive as you want it to be. Yes, there are free waypoints. You just have to google them. The more money you pay, the easier it is. The more expensive gps units don't offer more accuracy, just more features (well, to a point, a professional unit will be more accurate, and cost more than $500). If you want a challenge, then use a cheaper GPS. My etrex 10 is pretty dang accurate, and is less than $100. The only problem is that I have to use my brain more with it, and can't really download apps for it. My phone probably works pretty decent as well, and I can download apps on it, but the battery life is a lot worse. Of course, my preferred method for navigating in the wild is a map and compass. A map with a UTM overlay grid, coupled with a protractor, compass and gps unit is really easy to use, and gives you a lot of advantage.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

you can register with the geocache website its free https://www.geocaching.com/play
    once you registered there is a couple of different way to find geocaches , you can bring up a map and click on any geocache you want to find or you can enter your home coordinates and look for a geocache near you. Select a geocache and it will give you a set of coordinates you can manually enter into your GPS and off ya go. Used to do it a lot when the kids were younger something to get them out of the house