Thread: The inky darkness of safety.

Banned

Default The inky darkness of safety.

Had a wonderful meal at Copelands, shared with my children etc....
    Yet it was the inky darkness of the Saint Johns at night that brought me comfort.
    Remembrances of the young warrior's under my tutelage in those calm waters, before they traveled into harms way.
    Perhaps it is noting more than my desire to remain within thier camaraderie.
    X-mas now is all about the future, all of the past has past, but yet I long for the days of my youth.
    Thanks for sharing your time.

Banned

Now impersonating a service member, without ever being in service, to reap the benefits/discounts awarded Veterans is against the law.
    Stolen valor: Awards Medals etc unearned.

When I get a bit more time I'll try and piece together a little ancient history on the Sea Air Land Operators, in an attempt to converse without everyone rubbing each other the wrong way. It's a push button subject, so I think a little history will go along way.

Prior to Operation Eagle Claw there where Two SEAL TEAMS, Team 1 & Team 2. All SEAL's had to be FROGMEN, but FROGMEN didn't need to become SEAL's.

Combat Swimmers (FROGMEN) had been in Underwater Demolition Teams prior to and after the 1962 Introduction of the SEAL 5326 Navy Enlisted Classification.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underw...emolition_Team.

After Operation Eagle Claw the Navy decided it needed a better trained anti-terrorist response: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEAL_Team_Six

After the 1983 disbandment of the UDT, only the Navy SEAL Program remained. Today's minimum PST entry requirements for Naval Special Warfare can be found at https://www.navy.com/careers/special...sponsibilities if you scroll down, the Minimum PST for entry into the 5 current programs is listed.
    Last edited by M118LR; 12-02-2016 at 07:55 PM. Reason: links

I visit 3 vets that live together. All disabled in service. They love my dog Max. They don't talk much about combat to me but they tell Max stuff now and then. Since I'm sitting there I get a few stories. 2 guys are Vietnam vets in wheelchairs. They cuss at each other all the time. Inseparable. The other had his lower legs blown off in Afghanistan. Angry, bitter, PTSD. But Max makes his day.

I'm pretty sure I get as much out of those visits than they do. My Navy stories are boring so I just listen.

Had a friend who was a Seal. Never said a word about his service time.

Thanks for sharing.

A friend of mine, served, never knew he had several awards including a bronze star and a purple heart until I was helping him move. It said it was bull**** and he saw guys doing what he did everyday. He was much proud of an award given to him by his company, Garry Owen. I think that is how you spell it.

Banned

So I am curious as to what the benefit is, that would drive people to misrepresent their time in service? To enter the VFW, Am Legion, VA, etc you have to provide Government Documentation. Any program or Organization that could/might benefit any of the Services Special OP's, will require documentation and most allow any Honorably Discharged Veteran. So to what avail is this Stolen Valor?

Now those that have never served attempting to gain Veteran Status, the VA-VFW-Am Legion-etc they are never going to assist without proper Government Documentation. So what use is it pretend?

As to who talks about what with whom, every individual is different. How many car mechanics still talk about cars after they did 30 years turning a wrench? Yet put them in a Hot Rod show, and they will talk about the cars they have owned or worked on with just about any passerby. If you want to hear Special Operations tales, gather a group of Special Operators and purchase a round of beverages. Most all the Spec Ops get thier nicknames from some semi-hilarious moment in thier service. So if Y'all meet up with Goat-face, Bumper-jack, etc..... there is a tale to be told.......Folks that have done a full Military career have many an interesting tale from inside the goat locker, or whatever the Mess is called in the service they where in. Perhaps if they don't speak to you, maybe they don't feel compelled to relate things without a common reference. How interesting is a tale about humming the theme from JAWS on dive-com if you don't even swim?