Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lighters- Which sort?

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post
    I've posted this before. Wrap a piece of bicycle tube around your Zippo and it will be good for weeks without filling. I carry a small, clean Tobasco bottle with lighter fluid in my pack and if needed, it will keep the Zippo running for a long, long time. It won't leak and is waterproof, according to various tests I have applied.

Easy to use, and does not require one keep depressing the lever to keep it burning. Think mini-candle, if you will.

I don't smoke so I don't need to use it 30 or 40 times a day. (A Bic would be fine for a smoker.) In the woods or mountains, I don't build a fire an half dozen times a day, so once or so does just fine for me. Do I also carry a Bic? Yep, but in an emergency when a Bic won't do, my Zippo always comes through.

I learned many, many years ago that when filling the Zippo, just leave the lid open for five minutes and it won't leak on my thigh when I carry it in my pocket.

FWIW, the Zippo in the picture that is burning, I won in a barracks poker game on a Sunday afternoon when I was stationed at Fort Gordon, Georgia. Guy had just bought it at the PX and tossed it into the pot for a one dollar bet. He lost, I won, and it is still working like a champ. That was in the summer of 1959. Zippos rock!!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

S.M.
    That's the good part of the Zippo's.......Last forever.

Used to use one all the time.....Retired.
    Also retired... is MF's, Uncles and friend that as passed....
    All retired to the little Snap-on mini Tool box....used for special stuff.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

UDpatch.jpg

Add one of these to your Zippo and see what it brings as trade bait. But there are other military themed Zippo's: https://www.google.com/search?q=mili...He0gBUUQsAQIZw

I might be getting to Old to break many more Bic lighters without personal damage, I doubt if I'll once again be in an area that's way to cold for a Bic to light, evasion is more in reference to the IRS or relatives nowadays, but when I close my eyes in an attempt to sleep somehow my mind still imagines that I'm a teenager. Never count on any one source of ignition, redundancy isn't redundant.

I think I'd sound like another Star Wars Sequel: A long,long,long,long,long time ago on a Continent far,far away.............................

M118LR, most people who trade military Zippos know that the symbol is not a sticker. They are either engraved, painted, or a metal emblem adhered.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    M118LR, most people who trade military Zippos know that the symbol is not a sticker. They are either engraved, painted, or a metal emblem adhered.
    Oversea's a simple press to attach sticker on a Zippo has proven to be more than sufficient natertot. But as a response to a challenge (good thing by the way) use the entire internet to find a engraved, painted, or metal emblem of any Zippo lighter with a Underwater Demolition emblem affixed to it. Perhaps that is why it was so highly coveted.

Quote Originally Posted by M118LR View Post
    Perhaps that is why it was so highly coveted.
    Or highly faked?

https://www.google.com/search?q=unde...-LbYCA#imgrc=_

Banned

natertot, the UDT 21 TEAM emblem can even be found on the "Wall of Fame" at Ann O'Malley's in St. Augustine Fl.
    Please be prepared to backup your cries of impersonation with your certificates of accomplishment, otherwise I think you should request that those that have been there and done that research others claims to fame. JMHO.

Certificate of accomplishment? If you are referring to whether or not I own a UD zippo, then no I do not. But I don't have the certificate of accomplishment of making fakes either. I also don't claim anyone else's accomplishments, not only because of integrity but because I am plenty proud of my own accomplishments. I only made the link because you asked me to search "the entire Internet" for one.

Good luck to you, sir.

Banned

Certificate of accomplishment? If you are referring to whether or not I own a UD zippo, then no I do not. But I don't have the certificate of accomplishment of making fakes either. I also don't claim anyone else's accomplishments, not only because of integrity but because I am plenty proud of my own accomplishments. I only made the link because you asked me to search "the entire Internet" for one.

Good luck to you, sir.
    Yes, I must agree with you. There are more and more fake Zippo's being made these days.

Luck to you also, Sir.

Yes, Bics do tend to have issues with the cold, but it rarely gets super cold in my part of Alaska. Wet on the other hand...
    Bics are pretty much only for my EDC setup, if I wander into the woods or out on the water I WILL have a ferro rod handy. Nothing more reliable than a good ferro rod.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

Quote Originally Posted by m118LR
    those that have been there and done that research others claims to fame.

I would think it would be a great thing for anyone to uncover someone that pretends to have served or to have accomplished something they had not. Whether they have "been there and done that" has no bearing on calling out a liar. I wouldn't care if it was a 12 year old kid that figured it out. Posers should be uncovered by whom ever and where ever they are found.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Posers should be uncovered by whom ever and where ever they are found. [/COLOR]
    I agree. I think it would be awesome if posers were punished by having to serve 12mos. Perhaps after a boot camp and a $h!tty job on a stateside base they will come to fully appreciate why stolen valor is not so lightly taken by those that did serve.

Banned

The problem with posers is that they aren't going to straighten up and fly right even after they have been proven to be posing. Notice that you don't see many Bic lighters being collected, so they have a lower trade value than a Zippo. But even collectors get hoodwinked at times: http://www.ebay.com/gds/Fake-Zippo-L...2127414/g.html
    Someone that had manufactured Zippo's for 20 or 30 years would have an easier time identifying a fake Zippo.

I use lighters to light things, the subject of thread........

I don't collect them except the few Zippos that were given to me or inherited.
    It's great to collect things that are important to you.

I do have a rare Bic made by the Chinese Amish........

I hear Bic lighters are increased in value when paired with a Bic pen.....

http://www.dailydot.com/business/red...-ebay-auction/

Thank you all for your tips and advice

I do NOT live in a cold climate , although it was 2'C (34'F) here this morning !!

I realise that cold does effect a gas lighter , any sort.
    I love the tip about using a piece of inner tube from a bike or car , as a fire starter.
    Kept with my lighters , they will be just the ticket for survival and emergency use , Ditto when you need a fire out in the woods, and no dry tinder available.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I would think it would be a great thing for anyone to uncover someone that pretends to have served or to have accomplished something they had not. Whether they have "been there and done that" has no bearing on calling out a liar. I wouldn't care if it was a 12 year old kid that figured it out. Posers should be uncovered by whom ever and where ever they are found. [/COLOR]
    Here is a man who does just that. Don Shipley, retired U.S. Navy SEAL. He outs the myriad fake SEALs around the country. It is truly amazing how many fake SEALs, Rangers, Special Forces, USMC Force Recon, USAF Combat Control and Parajumpers there are running their scams in our country.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I love Don Shipley.

It's been my experience that most people that served and have "been there, done that" don't continually reference their service. Those that do, ad nauseum....... well it may create doubts in the minds of others.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I love Don Shipley.

It's been my experience that most people that served and have "been there, done that" don't continually reference their service. Those that do, ad nauseum....... well it may create doubts in the minds of others.
    Yeah.....Noticed that...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I love Don Shipley.

Damn, I never experienced Don Shipley being one of the reserves that we would call to the forefront if things went bad when the boys I guided into trouble needed a helping hand. But Y'all poke the Old Frog as much as Ya like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F73TrMcdaCk

Removed the rant, will shift poser/stolen valor to Inky Darkness so we leave the lighter thread a little less derailed.
    Last edited by M118LR; 12-02-2016 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Rant removal