Thread: Swiza Swiss Army Knives

Default Swiza Swiss Army Knives

I'm sure most of us are familiar with Swiss army knives, from either Victorinox or Wenger. I know one of my first knives was a Swiss (my very first was a Shrade old timer) and I carried one for much of my youth. My Swiss has been replaced by a Leatherman but it always has a place in my heart and many of my outdoor kits. Up until 2005 we always had a choice between Victorinox and Wenger, but that was when Wenger was acquired by the larger company, and many Wenger specific features disappeared. Now, a new choice has entered the arena, Swiza knives. I just found out about these, and they look nice. A bit of a modern spin on a classic product, but from a company that has been making watches for a century.
    Worth a look anyway, don't know if I'll add one to the collection or not, but I thought you guys might like to a peek since some of you are SAK lovers.
    Cheers.

http://www.swiza.com/en/Products/Swiss-Knives.html
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

Looks pretty good.....
    Glad to see someone making one.... besides the super cheap knock offs.

But lack of small blade, tooth pick, saw, and scissors, would be a deal breaker....
    Cook screw OK... but Philips screw driver would not be some thing I would use much.....do use the can opener end as a screw drier at times....
    Have used the awl.......but not as much as the small blade.
    Maybe I enough people make comments...they will re-think on what's used the most.

SAK Huntsman for me......
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I haven't seen one yet, but reviews seem good. These knives do have a blade that locks open.

Back when Wenger was still in business, Victorinox was clearly a better quality product. This new company does look interesting. However, like hunter, I think the Huntsman is the perfect combination. It doesn't have too many tools, but does have all the ones you will use the most. Anything less is frustrating, anything more is too bulky. Plus, you know the quality is there. I am glad there is a new company out there though. Competition is a good thing for customers. Although Victorinox is the clear "swiss army knife", Gerber and Leatherman have been able to give them a run for their money.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

One thing about the SAK is that everyone has a definite idea of what they want on theirs.

Unlike Hunter, I want the phillips head screwdriver and have no use for the corkscrew.

But I do want the scissors and toothpick and not having those in the new offering is a deal breaker for me.

I use the SAK toothpick more than any other feature and I use the scissors as a grooming tool away from home as well as an aid when doing craft projects away from the workbench.

Both large and small cutting blades are a necessity for me and multiply the uses for the SAK.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

The go to blades on my current (and all future) SAK is straight blade, saw blade, scissors, tweezers (it's amazing how many splinter I get). The rest get used, just not as much.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I use the package hook to carry firewood while camping. Wrap some cordage around the bundle and hook a loop.

I agree, a saw would be nice. I'm like Kyrat and prefer a screwdriver over a corkscrew. I can make a toothpick anytime out of any sliver of wood, but tweezers not so much.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The tooth pick is actually an urban survival tool for when you can not break a twig off a tree and sharpen the end!

I have become very particular about the SAK on my key chain. I carried a Classic for many years and recently changed to an "enhanced" Classic that adds a phillips head screw driver and bottle opener to the small knife.

The saw on the SAK is not very good for wood processing but is perfect for most craft jobs. It makes ideal slots to for the string nochs in arrows and slots for mounting primitive arrowheads either chipped or formed from bone or horn.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Hehe...a comical odd comment...about those little scissors in these kinds of knives...

When I still smoked cigarettes, I always had to have full flavor short. No hundreds, and no lights. I also always had to cut half of my filter off. I've tried non filter more than once, which was the logical suggestion, but didn't like it. The filter still did something that I liked and had to be there, just not so much of it. Otherwise I'd go all the way and pull out my pipe.

There's another kind of mini key chain knife, not a full swiss-style device but with just a blade, nail file, a pick and tweezers that slides out of the end, and some little scissors - something like that. But the little scissors in these things were the only thing that could give a quick clean cut to a cigarette filter.

I always wanted something that could be small and on my key chain, like this kind of mini knife was. Or at least carryable in my pocket or wallet. I've tried cigar cutters...don't work. Actually they make a mess of things - no matter how much one would think they'd work, they were made for cigars not cigarettes. I've tried some little mini sewing scissors that were designed to be stiff, precise, and sharp. Didn't work. Of course, any normal blade will do the trick, but it just kinda squishes it up and I didn't want to have to find a surface to saw against. Wanted to not tear up the remaining filter, not squish it up, and get a quick clean cut anywhere anytime. The only thing that ever did the trick was this specific type of scissors in these mini knife thingys which I figure took after how the scissors in swiss army style knives were made. You do have to put that tiny bit of sideways pressure while cutting which creates more pressure between the cutting edges. Otherwise nothing else could do the job.

I think I've seen versions where the scissors were a little bigger, and they were no good either. Just these mini key chain knives.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

I got a swiza knife. It's a good folder IMHO. Interresting lockup but the texture on the handle collects dirt. I wouldn't use it for heavier tasks but for food prep and such it's awesome.
    Ursäkta min Engelska

I'm pretty particular about my blade and I carry a separate knife just for that. I've got several Swiss Army knives that I received as gifts. They are still in the box. I like my original Leatherman and Leatherman micra. I probably use the Phillips head screwdriver as much as I use the needle nose pliers. I've got newer Leatherman tools but like the original. When one breaks I go to eBay and get three more.

A toothpick is handy But my teeth aren't quite as close together as they used to be.

Alan

Very cool, the swiza D and C series are pretty awesome its almost exactly the same as the old faithful "swiss army" vitorinox I grew up with.
    I actually quite like Design its just a bit more updated look on the old faithful
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

I see that there's gonna be a ferro Rod to take place of the toothpick sold as a option. Not yet in production but when there avaiable I'll be all over it been waiting for that for along time
    Semper Paratus

Did they ever come up with that Ferro rod attachment for Swiss Army Knives Graf?

I have the Victorinox Swiss Champ, and when I was in Switzerland, I bought the Victorinox Work Champ 0.9064.xl back in the early 2000's. I always wished they had a Ferro rod that could take the place of the toothpick or pen slots. I tried googling it but came up with nothing, but that could also be because I do not know what they call it, if and when they did start production of them.