Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never buy...

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Never buy...

Survival rule number 1.

Never buy mayonnaise at the Dollar Store!

I will never ever make that mistake again!

You would have thought I had drank water from a puddle in some African game trail.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Man, we know the feeling. Instead of having Thanksgiving dinner with family, my wife and I are staying home recovering from something we ate. Can't put a finger on what it was but eating is the last thing we want to do today.

Get well soon.

Mayo is one of those items that is best when homemade .

Like an egg salad sandwich, out of a vending machine in the factory floor.... on a Monday in July..... after a week end of thunderstorms....that have knocked out the power a couple of times......

There is a fine line between a Hero and a Goat.

Get well soon.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Mayo isn't much more than a dollar in a real grocery store anyway.

A lot of times it isn't the mayo that's bad. It's what you mix in it.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Dollar store is good for a lot of things, other things not so much. Pretty much anything at the dollar store that contains eggs, dairy, or fish products I tend to stay away from. As another mentioned, it isn't that much more at a real grocery store and I don't like making excessive contributions to the porcelain alter.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Thing is that I have a dollar store just a couple of miles down the road and the Kroger is another 15 minutes and several more red lights down the road.

Looking back at the experience the trip might have been worth it.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Red lights have become so much fun. There are an untold number of people that will sit through a red light, then a green light only coming back to the world just as the yellow light turns red then zip through still trying to finish that text. I have some confidence that the really busy intersections may become the next great gambling mecca. 10-3 on the blonde in the SUV not making it through.....

Natural selection in action.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Survival rule number 1.

Never buy mayonnaise at the Dollar Store!
    I will never ever make that mistake again!
    You would have thought I had drank water from a puddle in some African game trail.
    It wasn't the Mayo... I spent my misguided youth working in several high class restaurants, do you know where the Mayo is stored... in the plastic bag inside the cardboard box (5 gallons), stored under the food prep table, room temperature, I made lots of Thousand Island, and Ranch dressing with that Mayo.

Rancher

My wife always gets that reaction when she drinks any fountain drink. I've seen others get the same reaction. Just one other possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by cow_rancher View Post
    It wasn't the Mayo... I spent my misguided youth working in several high class restaurants, do you know where the Mayo is stored... in the plastic bag inside the cardboard box (5 gallons), stored under the food prep table, room temperature, I made lots of Thousand Island, and Ranch dressing with that Mayo.

Rancher
    Worked on equipment in many restaurants...that are not that clean.... or have stuff not stored at proper temps......

I try not to think about it.
    Oh, Yeah....ice machines can be nasty as well......
    Had a Chinese restaurant....compressor failed on the walk-in freezer....guy didn't like our price on a replacement.
    So I didn't fix it....

That was on Thursday....Sunday they had a "All you can eat"......I guess their pussy cats were thawing out......LOL
    Last edited by hunter63; 11-26-2016 at 12:45 PM.

ANOTHER BAD MAYO: Never buy "organic mayo" from Trader Joe's. Great price, nice small size for little recipes. But the flavor (of fresh, just bought, expiration in 2017), is so OFF, I threw away the food! Still didn't figure out the issue, just thought my taste buds were off.

Made egg salad with it and even DH who will eat fried cardboard and love it if seasoned right (I love this man!) wouldn't eat it. We took a taste of the mayo and gagged. I had bought 3(!) just for little recipes as my normal Hellman's is bought in giant quantities but once you open that sucker you have to be feeding an army soon. Tossed them all.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

We use mostly Miracle Whip...Lite.....Not sure it is real food or not, but with all sorts of dietary concerns......real mayo had too many flaws.
    Guess we got use to it.....real mayo tastes "off " to me?????

Never eat sushi from a gas station

Or out of the lake for that matter.

Never eat raw chicken! I actually know a guy that got so drunk, when he came home he ate a raw chicken that was in the refrigerator! Dam near killed him!

Here's another......

Never get so drunk that you think eating raw chicken is a good idea.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Never eat raw chicken! I actually know a guy that got so drunk, when he came home he ate a raw chicken that was in the refrigerator! Dam near killed him!
    Hummmm..."I know a guy"....isn't that code for referring to yourself in the third person?

I once bought an egg salad sandwich from a cooler in a truckstop by the trans canada highway at roughly 1 in the morning. I was not a happy person the next morning. Never do that. Under normal circumstances I know better.