Thread: OKC Randall Adventures Training RAT Knives.

Banned

Default OKC Randall Adventures Training RAT Knives.

rat5sd2.jpg
    Is anyone still using the OKC RAT Knives?
    Do they still work as well as when they were designed?
    Did the Original Designers sculpt a blade destined for doom? Or did the extra sales hype when ESSE opened take away from the Original design?

I have a RAT 7 I carry with me. Love the thing.

I also have a RAT 7 that I take camping. It's a wood processing machine!

Picked up a RAT (?) something or other, in the classifieds on another forum....Gently used.

Made an offer and the guy took it, came w/original sheath and leather sheath....wear it in the scout style .. on my cross draw strap holster for the Ruger Single Six ....
    Use it for knocking around at "The Place"...chopping brush with it,..... and cut some twine off the brush hog blade......so far.

Nice knife....I like it...
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I also have a couple of RAT3's. And a few of the newer ESEE Izulas.

Banned

I'm wondering how your hands fit on the ESEE's. I allowed myself to be instigated into purchasing an ESEE -4. (got to try something prior to forming an opinion) I take a Men's Cadet Small Golf Glove, and the bottom of my palm overlaps the handle of the ESEE 4. Now I've lost allot of dexterity over the decades, but the ESEE 4 has soured me on the pure pleasure of the Rowan experience. But the handles on the OKC RAT & Ranger (mostly Ranger Bush Series) Series are large enough for all day use without fatigue, although even the Ranger Series are a bit squarish, they do index well. IMO.

The OKC RAT 5's handles are almost 2x4 ish, quite large, (for my hand) and I'm not a fan of the pointed glass breaker. The OKC Ranger Bush Series has proven to be the best fit for my hands, and the squared nubbed/jinked butt works well on the mag bar striker once you remove the coating. When it comes to the world of "Cooks knife Blades" including the Becker's (BK-2, BK-11, etc.) my personal experience leads me to recommend the OKC RBS-4 & RBS-6 (Ranger Bush Series) to be the first knives to handle/purchase. Depending on your hand size & dexterity YMMV.

I have a RAT3 and a RAT7 and love them both. Also have an OKC SP42 that I like real well.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

I don't have a RAT (might have to fix that) but I've had an RTAK for several years. I originally bought it to make a piggyback rig with my Cold Steel SRK, per recommendation of John McCann in his book Build the perfect Survival Kit. Ultimately decided that this was WAY too much weight on my belt and pretty much quit carrying the RTAK. Its a beast of a knife and well built, just too big IMO.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."