Thread: Drawing evermore closer :D

Default Drawing evermore closer :D

Guys guys guys, I am so amped man..
    Some of you that have been following my posts maybe aware I am quiet close to completing my Survival Instructor training Here in South Africa,
    we have various levels and courses etc that one has to do to reach This level( sure took me about 18 months to do, as the course cost money and they are not always available..like the 2 night solo only done with 4 students at a time, so was the 1st one in 2 years, people dont really go past a basic)

here are a list of things I have done: ( excluding Cub scouts, and boy scouts, years of martial arts, Parkour, and stunt work) My actual Fromal eductaion is in INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY(if you must know, I have a MCSE,a+n+ and 17 years experience in IT and work as an IT projects manager)
    =============================================
    Alone in wild Challenge (not part of the requirements, but simply a competion)
    72 hours in Bushveld with just a knife a water bottle and firesteel, with numerous tasks marked against other competors (unoffically I won this, the winners where choosen as they where 15 y/o Farm kids I wasnt upset, shame they needed that confidence)
    ================================================== ================================

=======
    Adventurer Award.
    ===========
    Basic Survival - 2 day course
    Advanced Survival-3 day course
    BUSH Craft- 2 day Course
    ============
    Explorer Award
    ============
    Extreme Survival - 3 day Course ( I have done two of these; ocean, and cold winter Mountan extreme)
    Navigation- 2 day Course
    1st Aid (bushmedic) - 1 full day Course

=======
    Summit/Ranger Award
    =============
    2 Night Solo with Just a knife and water bottle and fire Steel (48 Hours)
    Then comes a path of our Head instructors choosing to reach
    Summit Award/Ranger Award.
    The path he has chosen, and hand picked Students he feels are at a level to be instructors (one of them being myself)
    we are to do a 1 on 1 with head instructor at a Biome of our choosing; Desert,Snow,Jungle,Bushveld,Ocean
    and Take off a a week for this 1 day travel, then do 72 hours with him for assessment. and 1 day travel back (monday-Friday)
    I have to go meet with him now personally 1 on 1 to go discuss the particulars and other requirements to complete
    Once Ranger ward has been obtained, I will then be eligable to be an Instructor, but likely the training will be more specific and personalised for my path and strengths.

So What would you choose as your final assessment?
    * I have opted for BUSHVELD or Jungle, I am more experienced in Bushveld, as Africa is mostly Bushveld, but also gave option for Jungle, as I have lived in coastal jungle areas before, and had a blast at the one ocean extreme, which was very much a costal jungle.

And I have tried to Set a Date of 2nd December to meet up and discuss the final path to completion.

More to follow once I know where things are going
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 11-17-2016 at 04:02 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Wow...sounds like a lot going on.....gotta say that a lot of dirt time....

Maybe have you own school soon?...
    Congratulations.....and Good Luck.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

So, does being an instructor pay more that IT? Or, is it a part time deal?

I don't know if you have done a risk analysis for your decision. If the risk of failure has big consequences, then stick to what you know. Otherwise, I would say pick one that you aren't as comfortable in. learn something different/new.

It amazes me (well maybe not) how many technology based professionals love to do wilderness stuff. The next time we get another 18 year old with the ROTTW post, we should recommend a degree in STEM or a technical school that deals with IT or programming.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee