Thread: How much is a dozen?

Default How much is a dozen?

Working on my gate today....keeps the dogs in the yard....lag bolts pulling loose....
    Wood is getting older....and I fold and open it everything time I come and go....It folds in the middle when swung open, so as to fit against the side fence

Decided to replace those lag screws with 5/16 bolts....all the way thru....and washers.

Off to Menards...
    Picked out a package of 5/16 X4" bolts.....I needed 8.....
    There was 11 in the package.....and was even marked "count 11".

11...?....what WTH is that...?.....Not 10, not 12, not 8, or 6....But 11..??
    Now the nuts must be made in the same Chinese factory....as the come 11 in a package as well.....But washers was a 12 count?

Now I am used to pkg of 5, and have to buy that pkg when you need 4 right?...so now there is an extra one...that never gets used but put with all the other orphan bolts, screws washers nuts.. NC, NF...all thread, hex head, carriage head, dual slot screw pam head.....and any odd left over "stuff".

All end up "IN THE PAN" (old frying pan with handle broken off)....wider and easier to dig thru.
    Every 5 years or so...."The Pan" get dumped onto a 30 cal. ammo can....and given as house warming and wedding gifts.....They get regular gifts as well.....
    Usually get funny looks and...and "Is this a joke"?.....Then 5 years later I get a thank you.
    Hummm ..."Idea for SHTF construction materials stash?"

I digress...
    As I get older, I don't have the patience to dig thru "The Pan".... if I need more that "one" of whatever...so it's off to the store to increase my collection of "One too many" or need 12 but only 11 in the pkg, so you end up with 10 extra?...Just remember where the are...

Farm an Fleet sells a lot of standard bold nut washers......log grade general use...buy them the pound, yet...dump what
    You need in a bag....weigh up and pay for it.

Should sort ALL my hardware into multiplies of 2, 4, 6, 8 etc....then make up a big bag of odd balls to fill in the blanks?...
    Nawwww........LOL

But is 11..... the new Chinese dozen....?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Add it to the "list" man. Then move on. It is the new reality.

We had this old generational Italian hardware store here. YOU couldn't find anything in there. Hand them (and that's ANY employee) a bolt or nut and ask for one... minutes later boom. You were in business. Gone. Now we have Home Depot and Lowes. Dang.

Yeah we had one......Gone as well.

Old dude with a cane...(Well, he looked old back then....gotta be careful here..)

Sat on a Bar stool, just inside the front door.....would ask what do you need......then point to what ever with the cane......Or tell you , "No that's not what you need....You need this other dodad...Hey Jim take this guy back to the plumbing section..."
    ...and you could buy "One"

It's like a lot of things. The price doesn't change but the quantity goes down.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm a great deal like that. The price doesn't change but the quality goes down.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Nope, ain't going to do it...!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Aw, come on.... that pitch is right up there in the sweet zone.....

eeeeeeewwwwww

aye, quantity goes down price stays the same, I am still sad deep in my core that a soda pop(like coca cola) can here was 340ml, now its 330ml.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Quote Originally Posted by Antonyraison View Post
    aye, quantity goes down price stays the same, I am still sad deep in my core that a soda pop(like coca cola) can here was 340ml, now its 330ml.
    I think we have a winner!!.....Lol...Yeah, that's about it....
    But 11?....come on...EVEN NUMBERS guys....drives me nuts.....11?
    You are being set up to fail ....one too many... or one short.....or another whole pkg. of 11 to get that last one?

dozens =31, As a reader, I would not be put off at all, even if the total number didn't exceed the mid-20s.

Last edited by Rick; 08-20-2019 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Removed Links