Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Canvas and stove jacks

Good to know KyRat, thanks.

Small gen..... hmmm...... Well, not in the budget at the moment, but something to consider in the future! Just look for the canvas BSA tent that has a neon sign on top! Really, the weight isn't too bad. Looking at about 200lbs for the tent and heating/lighting/cooking supplies which doesn't seem too bad for 2 people winter camping. We are either gonna car camp, canoe in, or drag sleds in. All depends on where we go and weather. Definitely not hauling that on my back!

The butane stove also comes up because it is small and light weight, yet more capable than a pocket stove. Much lighter than my double burners and I do have a single burner screw on top propane stove, but I always feel that is top heavy and about to fall.

Didn't think about a red eye...... hmmmm...... onemoreitis is kicking in!

Is anyone familiar with the little brass pieces that are used to fill 1 lb propane bottles off of a bigger tank. I have one, followed directions/youtube vids, and only getting about a 1/3 fill when most people claim a 2/3 fill. Wonder if I am doing something wrong. Probably not holding my mouth right....
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Nater - You should be okay with that tree. The lanterns are high pressure so they are good to go. Just remember that the pressure in the tank is temperature sensitive so you might not get as much light out of the lantern when the tank is cold (less pressure).
    Didn't think about that, and that is a good point. Even with the lower pressure, I am sure that a double mantle will light sufficiently within a 9' x 7.5' and will probably have to turn it down any way.

Nate, I have a stove and canisters like the ones you picked up. It works great, but be forewarned that when it gets real cold, it doesn't work that well. In cold weather propane will serve you better.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Nate, I have a stove and canisters like the ones you picked up. It works great, but be forewarned that when it gets real cold, it doesn't work that well. In cold weather propane will serve you better.
    Thanks crash. About what temps did you start having issues with yours?

if it gets real cold like subzero, white gas works best.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Thanks crash. About what temps did you start having issues with yours?
    Mid to upper 30's.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Nate - If you have a Coleman white gas stove you can convert it to propane. You will need a regulator for it. It's easy to convert back and forth from white gas to propane. Just google "convert Coleman stove to propane". Some of the big box stores carry the parts. Then you can use what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    I found at a local yard sale a case butane canisters (11 total) for $10 like these ones here. https://www.amazon.com/Gasone-Butane...eywords=butane I then went to wally world and got one of these coleman stoves for $18. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FGPXVSM...s_ad_dp_asin_1 I think the stove and a couple of the cans will suffice for cooking.
    Those 100% butane canisters are purely warm weather stoves. They don't work well below 30F. If you look at backpacking stoves that use butane, most of the canisters are a mix of butane and propane. The only reason the propane is in there is to lower the ignition temperature. And, there isn't a lot of propane in them. They are trying to keep the weight down with aluminum pressure canisters, and as such, can't hold the pressure required for 100% propane. White gas is better in the cold, but it isn't as convenient as propane. It is lighter though, so cold weather backpacking stoves are generally white gas. Of course, I have found that if I am pulling a sled, or rather, my dog is pulling a sled, I don't really notice the weight of propane. Something to think about.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Just remember to phone out the GPS coordinates before you set up camp.

We need to know where to pick up your freeze dried remains.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hatc...oQsAQIPw&dpr=1

If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Good info on the butane. I have a propane and coleman fuel stoves. I was just thinkin the small butane would be a little more portable. I think I'll stick with my propane one now.

Thanks Kyrat, I'll send them to you. I plan on a stay in the back yard and a stay at a state park before going deep somewhere. I learned through other adventures that "practice" does help one prepare.

I got the stove jack in the mail yesterday and I will try to install it this weekend if weather permits. If I do, I may also do a test run in it. My son is getting excited for a chance to sleep in the BSA tent. I have also ordered a propane tree and a couple of 5' hoses from stansport with some b day money I got. Hope to have those by the weekend as well.

I have been trying to refill the little one lb propane canisters from my 20 lb tank. I only get about 1/4 to 1/3 fill though. I think doing it outside in the cold is the issue. I may have to do it in a warmer environment.

I put my 1lb tanks in the freezer overnight, they fill much chillled. Also weigh for 80 percent full. I was talking to a couple old fellas that have been in the lp business since the 1940s. They use to fill the little tanks back before the law was passed on transportation of a lb refilled tank. They made up a small tool from a piece of brake line. It was similar to a schrader valve tool. The relief valve would be depressed with this tool and when it started to spit liquid propane they deemed it 80 percent full.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?