Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canvas and stove jacks

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have seen very expensive tents ruined by kerosene soot. I have seen it hang like icicles from the roof. Once it is there you can not wash it off without ruining the waterproofing.

Also no O2 sensor on those heaters, you'll wake up dead!

Propane is not going to make enough moisture to bother you or soak anything down. I have used it for years and never had a damp situation inside a tent. You need to air the tent out in the morning anyway, just to freshen things up. That will solve any problems.

What size is that Boy Scout tent?
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 11-15-2016 at 10:18 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Tent heaters.

Three Dog Night.
    Gonna need couple more dogs....
    BTW How's Max.......?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    What size is that Boy Scout tent?
    9' x 7 1/2' with 3' walls and 7' peak. Below is a link to the place where I found mine. There are a few pics of them put up, one with a stove even. What are you thinking?

http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=6865.0
    Last edited by natertot; 11-16-2016 at 01:13 AM.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I calculated and it will cost me 50$+ to order items needed to make it...
    What do you guys think about this ?

http://www.outfitterssupply.com/Stov...nfo/WT%20O117/
    Check out my survival youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCup...cRQ3O29ZB7Ybiw

Be sure to size your hole to fit the pipe you intend to use......

Also mention a oval hole for roof exit....an a round hole for a wall exit.
    Sounds like a deal to me.... and you know it will work, .... as safe as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Gonna need couple more dogs....
    BTW How's Max.......?
    He was laying on my lap. Now he's on my feet. He doesn't stray far or long. Once in a lifetime dog.

Be sure to size your hole to fit the pipe you intend to use......

Also mention a oval hole for roof exit....an a round hole for a wall exit.
    Sounds like a deal to me.... and you know it will work, .... as safe as it gets.
    I'm making a Tipi tent , so I'll need oval ?
    Check out my survival youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCup...cRQ3O29ZB7Ybiw

Yup, I know the type........Had on my self...everyone should have a lifetime dog.
    Good to hear he is doing OK after his adventure(?)...

Monty..... my hunting guy....would retrieve any duck he saw fall...even if I didn't shoot it....and had a nose that wouldn't quit....would run down and catch any that would try to run.

No formal training....didn't like to play ball, or chew sticks....but would lay under the boat...(his ride)....waiting to go.
    Got so excited he would just pace and fuss all night,... if the shotgun and waders were out.
    He was either hunting or napping....and sleeping next to me.

Miss that boy.....

Be sure to size your hole to fit the pipe you intend to use....
    Always good advice!

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Always good advice!
    Now that read that....maybe not the best choice of words.....???LOL

Lol, we are talking about heating a tent, so..... lol

Hmm does this help? I hear you may need a stronger needle for canvas

“There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I have seen very expensive tents ruined by kerosene soot. I have seen it hang like icicles from the roof. Once it is there you can not wash it off without ruining the waterproofing.

Also no O2 sensor on those heaters, you'll wake up dead!

Propane is not going to make enough moisture to bother you or soak anything down. I have used it for years and never had a damp situation inside a tent. You need to air the tent out in the morning anyway, just to freshen things up.
    I would second this, just because Kerosene was the only option a long time ago, we sooted the apartment with a modern unit that required cleaning and re-painting. Also Rendezvous have reported deaths in tents where smoldering fires such as brickette fires such as Kingsford and others from charcoal. Let's be careful out there.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Good video WOO. I would use a speedy stitcher/sewing awl if I put a stove jack in. Not sure exactly what direction I am taking this. I am getting a visit from KyRat tomorrow. He has a lot of experience in these things and I know we will converse about it, along with lots of other good conversation topics. I will keep updating as it develops. Any other ideas are greatly welcomed.

I did take an old propane tank to the hardware store today. Wasn't as old as I thought, only three years old and kinda dirty. $12 later and it is full. I also got some kerosene for my kerosene heater. Not using in the tent, but do use in the garage. Kero is getting pricy! $3.79/gal at the gas station. Yowza!

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I would second this, just because Kerosene was the only option a long time ago, we sooted the apartment with a modern unit that required cleaning and re-painting. Also Rendezvous have reported deaths in tents where smoldering fires such as brickette fires such as Kingsford and others from charcoal. Let's be careful out there.
    Safety is always important thanks for bring it up.....

Haven't heard of any deaths from charcoal in a tent stove......open grill or bucket maybe....?

Did find this....Some safety tips.....again most problem are for open grills...

https://www.anevay.co.uk/outdoors/bl...ove-in-a-tent/
    Last edited by hunter63; 11-19-2016 at 12:34 AM.

Just thought I'd give an update..... and ask a question or two!

I purchased a cheap wood stove. It is the RACK-18, which is a cheaper knock off of the TMS stove. I got it for $59.90 including shipping. I burned one fire in it yesterday and other than some minor modifications and improvements, I think it will serve me well. I definitely think it will work well to keep me warm in the tent. I have also ordered a stove jack, waiting for it to arrive.

I found at a local yard sale a case butane canisters (11 total) for $10 like these ones here. https://www.amazon.com/Gasone-Butane...eywords=butane I then went to wally world and got one of these coleman stoves for $18. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FGPXVSM...s_ad_dp_asin_1 I think the stove and a couple of the cans will suffice for cooking.

Since I had the propane tank filled, I am thinking of bring it along as a back up. I figured I could hook up a distribution tree/hoses to attach a lantern for light and a small buddy heater, both of which I already have. Now I am just looking at getting a tree and a hose or two, but I am curious. Do I need a pressure regulator on the tank for the tree/hoses? It doesn't seem like anyone uses them, but at the same time I am looking at specs and it looks like not using one should really be a questionable practice. What say ye of great experience?

That's a good question......Humm.

Most of my stoves had a regulator right on the stove that you screwed the fitting to.....but that lanterns didn't ?....
    Unless you consider that they are controlled with a adjustment knob.
    Just looked at a couple or the trees.... for sale....all seem to an adjustment valve just out of the tank.

All ears.....

Quote Originally Posted by gcckoka View Post
    I'm making a Tipi tent , so I'll need oval ?
    Sorry I missed this....Yes.....or if open top....vent out of smoke flap......

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Just thought I'd give an update..... and ask a question or two!

I purchased a cheap wood stove. It is the RACK-18, which is a cheaper knock off of the TMS stove. I got it for $59.90 including shipping. I burned one fire in it yesterday and other than some minor modifications and improvements, I think it will serve me well. I definitely think it will work well to keep me warm in the tent. I have also ordered a stove jack, waiting for it to arrive.

I found at a local yard sale a case butane canisters (11 total) for $10 like these ones here. https://www.amazon.com/Gasone-Butane...eywords=butane I then went to wally world and got one of these coleman stoves for $18. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FGPXVSM...s_ad_dp_asin_1 I think the stove and a couple of the cans will suffice for cooking.

Since I had the propane tank filled, I am thinking of bring it along as a back up. I figured I could hook up a distribution tree/hoses to attach a lantern for light and a small buddy heater, both of which I already have. Now I am just looking at getting a tree and a hose or two, but I am curious. Do I need a pressure regulator on the tank for the tree/hoses? It doesn't seem like anyone uses them, but at the same time I am looking at specs and it looks like not using one should really be a questionable practice. What say ye of great experience?
    I think you will find the distribution tree, a lantern on top and two of the "red eye" heaters enough for most camping.

Do not worry about the regulators, most of the devices have them built into the device and the Coleman system using the tree has been around for thirty years and is well tested. It is no more dangerous than any other system that uses a 20# propane tank.

So you have wood, butane, and propane. Seems like plenty of backup. For all that weight you could pack in a small generator and just plug in!

I have been associated with several deaths in tents due to heating devices. Most were open braziers of charcoal but there was one incident involving an old style Coleman heater that used white gas. That was a very tragic incident involving a scout master and his two sons at a scout gathering.

I have never heard of a stove or a propane heater causing death in a canvas tent. I think they are usually breezy enough to get some circulation going.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 11-25-2016 at 05:44 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Those heaters using white gas are catalytic heaters. They are dandy heaters. I have two of the big ones and four (?) of the smaller ones. At least one is Canadian. BUT....I would never use one inside a closed space. Never ever.

Nater - You should be okay with that tree. The lanterns are high pressure so they are good to go. Just remember that the pressure in the tank is temperature sensitive so you might not get as much light out of the lantern when the tank is cold (less pressure).