Thread: Survival Instructors

Default Survival Instructors

Hello all!
    say I am trying to dig up info on what it would take to offer some basic survival skills classes at our farm in Washington State. Ideal situation is to find and instructor that knows what they are doing! as you could imagine if you throw out a generic "looking for survival skills instructor" you get every possible response.
    My situation: My farm is 114 acre timberlands and wetlands conservation area. Totally a place to "bug out" too! I have always tinkered with being prepared, and love learning about our natural resources. I think there are folks in my skill level that would love to learn some basic techniques. I think it would be really cool to offer some "ladies only" classes too.
    Any advise on where to look for qualified instructors that would do classes at my facility?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

What are your expectations and what are you paying?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Do you have to live there in primitive shelters and forage foods....or is there a Holiday Inn for after hours.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Are you looking to hire somebody for a permanent position to run classes on your farm? If so, lets see your business plan on how this is going to work.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

1st. Chop wood
    2nd. Carry water

...the rest falls into place. If you're young enough to have any energy left.

Come here chickee chickee.

Don't know about Washington state, but here and in Kentucky with business licensing, insurance, permiting and 483 other things you're looking at between $750.000 and $1,000,000 that's IF you already own the land. A couple of guys that I served in the Army with and are about as close to survival "experts" as I know were going to give it a try. But didn't have deep enough pockets OR the ability to raise the funds to do so.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    What are your expectations and what are you paying?
    Kyratshooter Im Just taking a look to see what would be involved. I dont know what the going rate is for an instructor.

we are a 114 acre conservation farm. we have primitive camp sites and places for folks to park self contained RV's. Im looking to gather information here to make the determination if this is a viable idea.

Crashdive Im at the 30,000 foot level looking down. My question is to find more info to make an educated assessment if this is right for us. would you have any info to add that I could add to those metrics?

clarification...I would like to hold a class or two or three a year. basic skills ...basic skills for women.. build a shelter..ect. Not looking to earn my living on it as I work for a DoD contractor for that. It would be perfect to find a local instructor that is interested in running a few classes out here. yes I own the land. 114 acres of forest and wet lands with lake and creek front. already running our business here (malaneycreekfarm.com) and looking to add some depth with survival and foraging classes. I held a foraging class in July and was overwhelmed with the response..had a ton of fun doing it too.

Kida looks like you have the business and advertising part down.

You need to look for local talent for part time instructors.

Might want to look up Mick Dodge....he seems to be between gigs right now.....and seems to like only part time work.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Dodge

Quote Originally Posted by rustyrooster View Post
    Crashdive Im at the 30,000 foot level looking down. My question is to find more info to make an educated assessment if this is right for us. would you have any info to add that I could add to those metrics?
    In that case, it sounds as if you are more interested in helping a few others rather than run a business. Cool. You may want to start out by learning those skills - maybe a local retired person that would be willing to share with you and a few others. Who knows - in time you may want to grow it into something bigger.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Take a look at this. Posts 2 and 4.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...urvival+school

Sigh, unfortunately I am in Southern Africa, I am almost at the level of a Wilderness survival instructor, been doing courses on and off over 2 years... had quiet a bit of experience out in Bushveld here.
    In terms of qualifications, I don't know how it works there in US, but I assume probably similar... you dont really get A diploma or degree or anything like that, what counts is dirt Time and experience and passion and Knowledge, there is no real "paper" I assume that would make you Doctor Survival. However there Are survival Schools that some do go through, I believe you have the pathfinder's school (Dave Canterberry) and various others I assume that May give some certification. Perhaps you would look at some one with some sort of Military background maybe,as I assume they will be versed in SAS survival at least (mine is based off that training, My Head instructor got his training in Scotland, with SAS troops) Anyway, I am sad that I live out here with limited opportunities to Work as An instructor, and may have to at some time Start up my own school if I cannot get involved in teaching with the school I am presently trying to Reach Survival Ranger/Instructor level.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

As for the in's and out of starting a small business, I cannot comment as I don't know how it works over in the US.
    Here in South Africa, it is easy or hard depending on the business entity you wish to create, we have options of Sole proprietor, Closed corporation (which no longer exists but is applicable to people that Maybe buying a shelf company or have registered one prior) And a PTY (LTD), each have their own requirements and different ways of getting, and have different rules and we have certain cut offs for these entities interms of taxation, and when it is or is not applicable to be taxable, and each have pros and cons.
    Also we have Labor laws, some not as applicable to others depending on wether it is permanent work, contracted work, or casual work.
    In-terms of licencing, and other by-laws that also maybe involved to some degree, and likely business rights that the land may need to own, all things to consider here.
    Advertising/marketing... etc

Then you would need to Hire an instructor, what will the numeration be, will it be a permanent job, contracted, casual work etc... and all that nitty gritty that's involved with various other things from health insurance/medical aid/unemployment fund..etc (all applicable here in various main stream jobs)
    Course content that will be provided how will it be structured, what would it encompass what is the expected outcome for each student, what skills are they to learn, etc etc. Certification/s if any..
    It will require structure and some defined syllabus, saying well These things encompass a basic course, these things encompass and advanced course.. etc etc..
    And Lastly , most important, you need Indemnity, you would need to possibly consult a lawyer to help draft forms that student will fill beforhand, as injuries, and accidents happen, as well as dangerous animals, Stupidity... you need to be able to take that risk away from you by getting these documents signed, otherwise something could happen and you get sued
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 11-14-2016 at 03:47 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Default hmm

Quote Originally Posted by rustyrooster View Post
    Hello all!
    say I am trying to dig up info on what it would take to offer some basic survival skills classes at our farm in Washington State. Ideal situation is to find and instructor that knows what they are doing! as you could imagine if you throw out a generic "looking for survival skills instructor" you get every possible response.
    My situation: My farm is 114 acre timberlands and wetlands conservation area. Totally a place to "bug out" too! I have always tinkered with being prepared, and love learning about our natural resources. I think there are folks in my skill level that would love to learn some basic techniques. I think it would be really cool to offer some "ladies only" classes too.
    Any advise on where to look for qualified instructors that would do classes at my facility?
    Thank you for the information, but I suppose I need to clarify more. I myself do not want to do the instruction. I am looking for an instructor who already does this and either is looking for a place to do this OR would work as a subcontractor. My main objective is to understand all the associated costs to make a determination if this is viable. we are an established LLC so I understand about liability and making a business plan. One of the key steps in developing that plan is to know all your metrics. what are the known measurables? how much does an instructor charge, what do we need to supply, things like that. right now the answer I have received assumes im going to run out and start a survival school. not even close. I was hoping for some answers of ...i do some basic skills classes and charge 100pp and you supply all the resources which would include x, y, and z.
    once again thanks everyone and ill continue the search. must me some resources on the web..perhaps FB.

Well, sorry we couldn't help you out more....but not a lot of "Out of work survival instructors" around.

Most I know of, run their own operation, in their location, by their rules and curriculum....and teach what they know.

Being as how they most likely are very independent and not a typical employee....a contracted subcontractor...is who would be you best bet....If you can find one.
    Good luck.