Thread: OK take a moment and lets discuss DAK and better stuff

Default OK take a moment and lets discuss DAK and better stuff

Dak-Ham2.jpg

Just wanted to share - vaguely remember this was whole ham a long time ago ...today it is very close to Spam. Not that this is a bad thing as fat delivers energy - sugar overwhelms the pancreas. Would this be part of your survival kit if you are staying home?

Looking for a discussion here. What works best for you and what do you like to store when it comes to HAM?
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I can recall having some around..... and talking with DW, she has cooked it like a regular ham, has sliced and fried
    and serviced it with eggs....

I know it was kept on the shelf with the canned goods.....and didn't need refrigeration till opened.
    Don't recall if it was processed or not, chopped and pressed, but says fully cooked Ham....not "parts".

Been awhile since we had any...although there are a couple of small cans of Spam on the shelf at the moment.
    Was a purchased at "Big Lots" a discount store....although I have seen it at our local supermarket.

There must be a expiration date on the can...... there is with Spam......but we normally ate it long before that happened.

I think it would be like anything else:
    Buy and store what you like to eat, rotate your stock, have seasonings and a way to cook it.......although seems this can be just sliced and eaten.

Hope that helped.......and now makes me want to find a can...and see......LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I do canned meats the same way. Buy what you eat and restock/rotate constantly. Canned meats are like any other canned goods to me.

I do not expect choice cuts from a can.

I am not real picky about the canned processed meats since I usually slice and fry them up as sandwiches or as breakfast. Occasionally I buy "good" canned meats as a treat or special menu item, canned beef, caned pork or chicken or turkey. Tuna and salmon are regular staples for me.

It is much easier to plan a long term food supply when canned meats are an acceptable food source.

My preferred long term stored ham source is Clifty Farms smoked and salted country ham, but at $10 a pound that is pretty scarce around my house.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 11-10-2016 at 12:46 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

We "keep" 4 of those in our pantry. We use one about once a quarter in either a ham and potato dish or hot ham and cheese sandwiches. My wife and my children all like this much much better than SPAM. The wife has also made a ham salad dish with it...

Thanks - is there a better choice on the market?
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

WOO,
    Locally, (south-central Oklahoma-wise anyway) DAK is by far the most common and available brand of canned ham. You find it is most every grocery store in our area. Looking on-line I see different brands but they all look to be very similar until you get into the "high end" stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Thanks - is there a better choice on the market?
    Better choices of what?....Brands of canned meat...... or a substitute for canned meat?
    Seems to be mostly Hormel or what ever is on sale.

We don't really eat much of this, as it high on salts (nitrates) and fat....
    But do keep some on hand....Varity make thing more pleasant.

Get tired of just eating beans and rice with an occasional BYB .....in a blizzard or storm....

I need to grab a few canned hams. My wife hates Spam.

Most of the good canned hams I encounter require refrigeration even before they are opened.

Most of the unrefrigerated "ham" is, like you have said, one step away from spam.

One of the big disappointments one faces in life is opening a can that is supposed to contain "ham" and finding that you paid top price for Spam.

Oh well, such is life. I guess it is that "box of chocolates" thing.

My dietitian say to never eat anything that has a mother and a father........
    I not sure if Canned Ham qualifies?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    My dietitian say to never eat anything that has a mother and a father........
    I not sure if Canned Ham qualifies?
    My camping tribe would starve if they didn't eat meat. We have a 40 lb pig going on the spit at next week's camp. There will be drooling men with greasy fingers ignoring my veggie casserole. Viva La MEAT!

Vegan== Bad Hunter.

I always have a case of Werling canned meats on the shelf. I love the pork. Add some BBQ sauce and instant BBQ.

http://www.werlingandsons.com/produc...riety-12-pack/

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    My camping tribe would starve if they didn't eat meat. We have a 40 lb pig going on the spit at next week's camp. There will be drooling men with greasy fingers ignoring my veggie casserole. Viva La MEAT!
    Their loss!

That casserole was good!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Vegan== Bad Hunter.
    Really bad hunters serve track soup.

Krakus is on the Top shelf of canned hams.

Even an expired can of potted meat is preferable to going hungry. (You wouldn't believe the stores at the corners of the tunnels under Adak in the 70's)

We don't keep any canned hams in our rotation. The biggest long term storage for protein (meats) is Albacor Tuna packed in water (pouches). We do have quite a bit of canned chicken as well.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

crashdive I respect your politically correct response. But why only Tuna & Chicken? No ham or beef? (removed the poor attempt at humor)
    Last edited by M118LR; 11-11-2016 at 09:11 AM.

OK 118LR, you are babbling again, time for your nap.

Again? Don't you mean still?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel