Thread: EDC belt pouch

Default EDC belt pouch

I decided that I needed a pouch for those days I'm not wearing cargo pants or shorts....

Fabric is 14 oz. canvas. Size is 7" tall x 3.5" wide x 3" deep. The zipper is a plastic YKK type that is 9" long and centered in the gusset [which I screwed up BTW, I'll point that out below]. I also made a foam insert to protect my cell phone or other electronics I carry that day.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Here's where I screwed up....

The top [smaller] patch is usually installed to make a "zipper stop" so you don't overextend it. The bigger bottom one is where I messed up...It had to be added because when I measured to cut the slot for the zipper, I miscalculated and cut it too long. Also, the bigger one on the bottom had to be finished off by hand because I couldn't get it into the foot of my machine [height and depth of the arm prevented it].

padded insert:

Interior without the insert installed:

Big enough to swallow my hand:
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

~~Declaration of Independence

Very cool....I am a big fan of pouches.
    So, I gonna guess it gets worn on the belt?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thanks - yep it does. I wear jeans when I don't wear cargo/BDU pants.
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

I like it. Good job
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

thanks. Been wearing it everywhere. So far so good

Quote Originally Posted by Druid
    Been wearing it everywhere.

So, how's it stand up in the shower?

You've got this sewing thing down pretty well. Nice job.

I'm scrolling down the pics, and suddenly it looked like something was trying to bite me. Wondering if you got your hand back too.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Lol thanks.

I like it. I have one of these which I use constantly (generally wear at work and while hiking and such) and would love to make my own in sturdier materials:
    http://www.the-other-view.com/images/holster1.jpg
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    I like it. I have one of these which I use constantly (generally wear at work and while hiking and such) and would love to make my own in sturdier materials:
    http://www.the-other-view.com/images/holster1.jpg
    Thanks.

you can make that [the one you linked] from 4 to 6 ounce veg or oil tanned leather. the lower the ounce, the thinner it is....use this as a helpful guide [click the thumbnail, then right click, save as jpg]

2014-11-10-LeatherUsage.jpg

I say veg tanned [as opposed to Chrome tanned] because veg tanned is less damaging to bare carbon metals [like knives]. Chrome tanning adds salts to the brine and that's what damages carbon [and over time, stainless] steels.

Oil tanned leather is normally veg tanned and then oils applied afterwards. Most riding tack [reigns, harnesses, etc] are oiled to protect from adverse weather.

Buffalo hide is usually carries a unique look and wears like iron. It can be more expensive than "regular" leathers but that's something you'd have to balance yourself....
    Many bushcrafters use this hide for belt pouches, fire bundles and foraging bags:

http://buffaloleatherstore.com/

If you aren't familiar with working with leather, also get rubber cement, a thin awl [a finishing nail in a handle would suffice], a pack of craft/yarn needles from walmart and good nylon threads or artificial sinew.

With needles: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ETBKE38...ASE915UD&psc=1

Without: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RHCO37K...X3F9S8AY&psc=1

Cut your bag components and start from the back [leg piece] and move forward [to the out-most pouch]. Apply any snaps/hardware before gluing. Gluing the pieces down and letting them cure overnight saves a lot of frustration. A flat, 1/4" wide bead along the edge is more than sufficient, I apply it with a stiff-bristled brush [like one for petroleum solvents]. Once dried, use the awl to punch the stitching holes. Use a Saddle Stitch to sew them down:

Last edited by druid; 12-05-2016 at 09:32 PM.