Thread: 6 LB Dayton Pattern Flathead Single Bit Ax.

Banned

Default 6 LB Dayton Pattern Flathead Single Bit Ax.

This may well be the only forum that I can give my opinion on the most versatile of axes without driving the members stock raving wild. Here there are Woodsmen, the precursor Bushmen.(some might not even need to read the published works of Mors Kochanski) Folks that even realize that root cellars were filled with canned goods prior to Prepper reality shows. But I stray.

Thousands of fireman, woodsman, even do it yourselves folks might not have noticed that the largest selling ax in America is the 6 Lbs 32 inch curved handled single bit Dayton Patterned 5 inch Flathead (Fireman's) ax. Most probably have one laying around and never even noticed it. When it comes to the utility (5 iron for golfing folk) ax, the 6 lb Flathead hung with a 32 curved handle has outsold just about every other ax during the 20th Century. (Yeah I know everyone equates the Pulaski to Fireman) But for an all around ax: fireman, woodsman, farmer, commoner, and laborer nothing is more economical and versatile than the 6 Lbs 32 inch Curved Handled Dayton Pattern 5 inch Flathead Single Bit Ax. (The true definition of a "Swapping Ax".)

Feel free to correct me at anytime. LOL

OOP's forgot the link: http://counciltool.com/shop/fire-axe...wooden-handle/
    Last edited by M118LR; 11-03-2016 at 09:21 PM. Reason: oops

I have to agree....have one in "The Trailer".....along with shovel, spade (not the same for those that question) maul, and bolt/chain cutters.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I have to agree....have one in "The Trailer".....along with shovel, spade (not the same for those that question) maul, and bolt/chain cutters.
    Think I'm going to be even more Politically more incorrect? Bogie was Sam Spade, I have an FDR Mosses joke pertaining to a shovel, and if the reference was to something in the woodpile? Only Really Old Geezer's with Moose Pins and other common family affiliations need apply.

Banned

I'll have to do this in sections, so please bear with me.

What's in your woodpile?

Firewood fuel quality:

POOR: Basswood (H) Cedar (S) Fir,balsam (S) Hemlock, East (S) Pine, White (S) Spruce Poor (S)

FAIR: Alder (H) Pine, Red (S) Popular (H) Willow, Black (H)

GOOD: Ash, Black (H) Birch, white (H) Elm, white (H) Larch,American (S) Pine, yellow (S) Sycamore (H)

EXCELLENT: Ash, white (H) Beech (H) Birch, yellow (H) Cherry, black (H) Maple, sugar (H) Oak, red (H)

OUTSTANDING: Apple (H) Hickory,shag (H) Locust,black (H) Oak, white (H)

Mosses told the people to pick up shovels, load them on the backs of thier (burro) azzes, saddle up thier camel's, and He would lead them to the Promised Land.
    FDR told the people to drop thier shovels, sit on thier azzes, light thier Camel's, this is the Promised Land.

shovˇel
    ˈSHəvəl/Submit
    noun
    a tool with a broad flat blade and typically upturned sides, used for moving coal, earth, snow or other material.

spade1
    spād/Submit
    noun
    a tool with a sharp-edged, typically rectangular, metal blade and a long handle, used for digging or cutting earth, sand, turf, etc.

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/1...-Trailer-.html
    Last edited by M118LR; 11-04-2016 at 06:12 PM. Reason: burro/mule not the A animal.

I've got maybe 6-10 axes. Never saw a 6lb axe. I guess I never really saw a fireman's axe from me or anyone I know. I have a
    6lb maul which I favor over my 8lb maul.

Banned

Michigan patterned axes rarely reach 6 lbs, here are a couple:
    http://www.barcodirect.com/p/100/3-1...36-wood-handle
    http://www.barcodirect.com/p/204/3-1...36-wood-handle

The 6 lb Flathead is a Dayton pattern with a longer cutting edge, 5 vice 4 1/2 inches, that expanded on the splitting/plunging aspects that would be beneficial to fireman, and easier to perform with a heavier headed ax.

Great for busting down door then. Too big for me to cut a tree down using it all day long. But it does have it's purpose for the firemen.

The Michigan axes in your links are a heavy 3.5 lbs not near 6lbs.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by edr730 View Post
    Great for busting down door then. Too big for me to cut a tree down using it all day long. But it does have it's purpose for the firemen.
    While many find that 3.5 is plenty for felling, the 6 lb Flathead is far more effective when splitting. Once folks started carrying chainsaws, splitting mauls got more popular, but as a do anything/everything the 6 Lb Flathead can do it all efficiently enough to make it an effective do it all ax.

edr730 Western felling axes can run to 6 Lbs, but most Michigan Patterns are under 6 lbs. Thus the link to 3.5 Michigan Patterned single/double bit.

The one I carry is a left over for the state fire crews, from years ago.
    It is heavy......and is kinda an axe that splits well, and does make a good bashing tool that...and chops.

I wouldn't chop a tree down with it, either....was more of a "what can I do with this ax, that I don't use anyway."
    Actually been a long while since I "chopped a tree down", nor do I see too many in my future.
    Last edited by hunter63; 11-05-2016 at 10:32 AM.

I misunderstood and thought the links were to 6lb Michigan axes. Sorry.
    From the photos of the fireman's axe it could not compete with a maul for splitting since it is too narrow and will be stuck too often. There are old timers who would disagree although I don't know how or why. If you strike the head to drive it through, the metal will eventually mushroom out since the head is square unlike a maul. Square wedges always do that too. If you yank and jump on the handle to get it out then you will eventually break the handle. The fireman's axe appears to be the swiss army knife of axes. It does both splitting and chopping, just not as good as either. But, if I were going to chop for only one or two minutes it might be just the ticket. Or maybe if I was Paul Bunyun. But, it's different and interesting anyhow and I'm sure it packs a wollop.

Banned

I've run into many folks that just have one ax, usually passed down from a member of the family that had a fireplace in the burbs, and it's amazing how many of them are 6 Lb Flathead's. For as little wood splitting as the average urbanite does to stoke the fireplace, the Flathead is more than up to the task.

The one I inherited has merely got a "C" stamped into the center of poll. I cut more framing stakes with that ax while doing concrete work as a kid,than I care to recall. Split the blanks from the chainsaw factory into a use-able size for the potbelly. (Back when I was a kid every chainsaw had to be tested in a Black Locust block larger than the bar length prior to being shipped) Instead of returning with an empty my uncle would stop and pickup the used blanks that the chainsaw company wanted to be rid of. One semitrailer was enough free firewood for most a winter on the farm. Wonder what type of wood they use for testing chainsaws at the factory nowadays?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You must be really old because that is the first time I ever heard about that Black Locust test in more than 50 years of chainsaw buying and use. Never saw a manufacturer refer to such a test in advertising or a dealer make reference to it.

And in my neck of the woods you would never find a Black Locust tree more than a foot in diameter, even 50 years ago.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Banned

Circa 1950's & 60's, in the 70's Echo began manufacturing chainsaws somewhere in Northern Illinois. Don't know if they QAed thier products prior to shipment or not, Uncle Sam had other plans for me by then anyways. 2016-50= 1966, Guess I might qualify in hunter63's Geezer Squad.

link: http://www.treeplantation.com/black-locust.html
    Last edited by M118LR; 11-05-2016 at 02:20 PM. Reason: link

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yea I know what black locust is. Had it on every piece of farm land I owned. Got two in the fence row in back of the house right now.

What company was it that did this wood cutting as QC?

What does any of this have to do with you and Uncle Sam?
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 11-05-2016 at 04:04 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Well I have a bunch of black walnut trees at "The Place' and a few plain locust trees.....did have lots elm most are dead and gone now (fire wood).....few maples, few pin oaks, a several boundary oaks that have been hit with blight.......several broke off.(firewood)

Lots of box elder..... Crap trees...First year,..too green...second year, burns pretty well if you can split it...third year, feels and burn like paper.
    Lots of cedar....but more of a bush........Lots of buck thorn (dastardly weed tree/bush)....in process or get rid of....

Some basswood and willow in the water seep.
    Few white pines some one planted, and some I planted, as well a variegated dogwood, and crab apple trees (state provided wild life mix)

Last tree I chopped was one the fell over a trail, had to cut thru with a hatchet, then pull out of the way with truck.
    The ax was in the trailer...not the truck....now carry a boys hand ax from Ace Hardware...and a 18v electric chain saw.

Morel mushrooms grow of under the dead elms.

Geezer method,
    Doc says cool it on the wood cutting, and splitting......so it's "Hello, wood guy? ....Bring me a $100 buck pickup load, cut split and stacked".

Banned

I can't be sure if it was Roper, Remington, or one of the myriad of other chainsaws produced in Illinois back then. Unfortunately, it's to late to ask my Uncle which plant he got the wood from. If there are any Illinois Spector Freight Line drivers out there, that were hauling back in the 50's & 60's, perhaps they could shed some more light on the subject? The factory had to be a normal stop on thier route.

You gave the 50 year parameter. By the time the 70's rolled around, I didn't get to spend much time in America. Therefore I don't have many 70's-80's-90's recollections pertaining to life in Heartland America.

I like the 3.5 lb heads. Mostly because I can get the teenagers to use it. The best axe is the one you get your kids to swing instead of you.

Of course, when I was 16, I got caught (with a bunch of my friends) toilet papering a neighbor. A 16 year old girl lived at the house we were toilet papering...wonder why we picked that house. Anyways, my mom, and the other mom got together to decide my punishment. They made me chop a bunch of wood at the house. What a horrible punishment...make a 16 year old boy swing a sharp, heavy object, and break stuff...in front of a 16 year old girl! It was tough.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Banned

Nowadays, you would have to meet her on an internet video game.

My past experience with the Collins 6 Lb Flathead 32 inch curved handle, is what inspired me to purchase the Council 35JR32C 3.5 Lb Jersey with 32 inch curved handle. I actually prefer the 32 inch straight handle, but it's far easier to get axes with 32 inch curved handles from the factory. (both my inseam and fingertip to armpit measurement is 29 inches) But it seems as if Council has the changed to a 36 inch curved handle, even the UPC on the 35JR32C refers you to the 36 inch handled version. When it comes to the 3.5 Lb heads, I prefer those with bevels to those without. Just seem to toss chips better in my opinion.