Thread: MOLLE strap question

Large bipedal Primate Billofthenorth's Avatar

Default MOLLE strap question

Time to upgrade my ALICE pack with a set of MOLLE shoulder straps.
    I've been advised to make sure the ones I get come with the load attachment straps.
    I have never seen MOLLE straps in person much less used them so I have no idea what to look for. Can anyone tell me if they are included in the pic below or provide a pic that has them?...or a link that sells them that way.

TIA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Billofthenorth; 10-30-2016 at 11:12 PM.

Banned

http://soldiersystems.net/2015/09/28...y-part-1-of-3/
    http://soldiersystems.net/2015/10/08...y-part-2-of-3/
    http://soldiersystems.net/2015/10/14...y-part-3-of-3/

There are multiple videos on UTUBE if your a visual processor. Have you upgraded the Old Aluminium Frame to the newer MOLLE II frame?

Just a quick link there are many more with a google search: http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Exce...FRBEfgodvCkK7A

I have never seen them sold without. Maybe if you buy a used pair, and the idiot before cut them off. They are sewn on the shoulder straps. The big question is whether or not those straps are the first type or the second type. They differ in the way that they attach to the frame. The old type will fit just about any frame imaginable. The newer style, not so much. I haven't tried, but the new style probably will have no problem with the old ALICE frame. They also won't have a problem with any MOLLE frame. The ones in the picture look like the older style. The older style has squared off corners on the end of the shoulder straps. The newer ones have a more rounded end.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

cool, thanks for the replies.

Right now I'm just replacing straps, the old ones are slipping too much when the pack gets heavily loaded. I may go for other upgrades in time and as I gather more information and ideas online.
    Right now I'm pretty happy with what I have.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Billofthenorth; 10-31-2016 at 03:49 PM.

The only problem I had with the Alice frame was the vertical rib that runs down the middle of the frame. I removed it. Yeah, I know, I said that out loud. The Molle straps hook to the horizontal rib and the vertical is in the way. I have seen no noticeable flexing or changes in the frame. But then, I'm not hossing 110 pounds of gear either. Nor do I intend to.

Wow, these things are great. I tried them out on a hike yesterday and it was almost a pleasure to carry that pack around. How have I lived so long without MOLLE straps?

Yeah, especially the shoulder straps. They definitely add comfort. I bought a couple sets of the shoulder straps and hip belts. Then, when I take scouts backpacking, and they want to use their grandpa's ancient external frame pack with no hip belt, and thin shoulder straps...which don't fit right, I can usually strap on some MOLLE straps and make it much more comfortable.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I just upgraded to the waist belt and found it worked well also. Just had to make sure not to overtighten the straps that hold it to the pack frame. When tight it feels like a fist on the kidneys, loose and it was quite pleasant on a 4 mile hike.

Another update.
    I have now modded my two ALICE packs (1 med, 1 large) and set them up with the MOLLE II straps, waist belt and sleep carrier. What a difference the upgrades make to the pack system. The belt lets the bulk of the weight rest on the hips saving the back and shoulders. The entire set up feels solid and moves with the body. The sleep carrier is rigged beneath the pack and also is solid. It's roomy enough for a good sized sleeping bag with space for extras and doesn't bounce around as I walk. It's a whole new animal and quite comfortable, backpack-wise, so much so that I've pretty well abandoned any interest in expensive commercial packs. Of course these won't be for everyone.

If you can only get one upgrade for your ALICE, make it the shoulder straps. At least for me, they provided the greatest improvement to the feel of the pack.

The prices were reasonable, none of the upgrades cost very much. The shoulder straps were all new in the bag. There are some tiny adjustment straps that come with them which might be omitted when buying a used set thus my decision to buy new ones. The only problem is all the new in the bag straps available at present appear to be desert camo. They take dye pretty well though and I was able to tone them down well enough.

There are also sustainment pouches available that add carrying capacity and attach well to the medium pack but not to the large.

The buckles and straps can be upgraded and traded out but I'm fine with the ones on mine...for now.

Just thought I'd let you know how it was coming along. As pointed out in an earlier post in the thread, there is a lot of info about these online, videos on youtube and other how-tos if you are interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Billofthenorth; 05-17-2018 at 12:38 PM.

Yeah, those upgrades to the shoulder pads do make a world of difference in comfort. Changing out that kidney pad to the molle pad sure helps too. Nice mods. Looks like you did a fine job.

Nice mods.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel