Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A new appreciation of an old acquaintance

Glad it worked for you. I think it's the bee knees. Cheap, simple, quick and it works.

Woof!

Now they're forecasting heavy snow and single degree temperatures in my neighborhood so I might just get my snow hike back to Mount Carbon so, hopefully, I'll have some really white photos for ya'll in a couple of days.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Wow! Minus 7 degree F. wind chill and the snow is so deep it will get into my boots.....
    I got cold feet.

Get it? "Cold feet!"

ROTFLOL!
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

One must pick his battles....er.. ah....Hike?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I didn't make it to Mt. Carbon this time (but more snow coming next weekend!), but I did walk around the neighborhood, so, pictures.

This is the snow covered Rocky Mountains from up the hill from my house. Loretto Heights Park is one of the best vistas in Denver.

GhostRockies.jpg

Our honored dead. Fort Logan isn't quite as large as Arlington but it's still pretty big. I think the oldest graves are WWI.

FtLogan.jpg

Bear Creek is my home territory. On Bear Creek Trail, I can walk from the high plains and the South Platte River to the Rockies at Morrison.

BearCreek.jpg

Sunset from about 100 feet down the street from my house.

Sunset.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    The duct tape seemed to work. I took a fairly short (10:00 am to 6:00 pm) hike today and had no plantar blisters. Thanks for the tip.
    The only benefit you will get with silk or cotton tape over duct tape is that they are generally more breathable. All three will work though.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I finally got my snow hike. It was great and the best thing was - no plantar blisters!. The duct tape works perfectly. I also used tube bandages on my small and big toes. I did a pretty good job on my left foot about a month ago - along with some tendon damage, I'm pretty sure I broke some bones - and my hiking boots, which I only use in snow or mud, break right across my toes. The tube bandages take care of that problem. And I'm using foot powder in my boots now.

When I started the hike at 7:30, my computer was showing 2 degrees. I decided to not use my snow suit and was glad since I would have had to take it off and pack it most of the way. I wore overalls, a flannel shirt, a sweater and my leather coat and was quite comfortable the whole way. I'm using Thinsulation gloves and they work well down to minus zero single digits. One pair of socks work better for me than two layers. The fuzzy Russian hat was too hot for most of the hike.

This is Mount Carbon in the snow.

SmallMC.jpg

A couple of pictures of the trail.

SmallShoulder.jpg

SmallVista.jpg

The last time I took this trail was on a night hike. I was a little trepidatious about that beforehand but there was enough light pollution that there was no danger of my walking off the edge or surprising a bear. Walking up this thing in the snow was grueling but the trip back down was almost a fast glide. It was great fun.

By the way, the spots on the frozen lake in the first of this pair of pictures is people ice fishing. I hope they caught plenty of ice.

And here I am at the top.

SmallMe.jpg

There's a website where people can report trips to the tops of peaks. Mount Carbon has a page!

Honestly, in Alabama, Mount Carbon would be called Carbon Hill. Using the word "summit" to describe getting to the top of Mount Carbon may be technically appropriate but .... come on!. I have a friend that is quite proud of "climbing Half Dome." There's a trail that goes up the sloping side of Half Dome. In my opinion, if you walk up a mountain on a trail that you can actually walk on, you haven't climbed anything. To me, the word "summit" is to be applied to much more impressive feats than what I did on Mount Carbon. I haven't seen anywhere that a person can actually climb Mount Carbon.
    Last edited by WolfVanZandt; 01-08-2017 at 07:02 PM.