Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copper Moonshine Still

Default Copper Moonshine Still

FYI
    From our old friends at CH Kadels ...providers of the $ 1.99 Wahoo Killer Knives...
    Copper Moon Shine Still.....For your amusement only(?)

http://www.chkadels.com/6-Gallon-Copper-Still-37019
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Just gonna leave this here.

LOL....Yeah, amusement only....Right?

Oh, of course, of course.

I'm generally amused when I drink shine.

Timely post - cooking a batch of apple pie today.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

kewlnwss, it's been on my to do list for some time now, have the copper but not the time and gumption lol
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I find this disturbing, and detrimental to my local economy! Plus there will be a lot of amateurs poisoning themselves with that setup.

As for the Copperhead Road reference, just the amount of pot seized and destroyed by the authorities in KY equals more value than our top two legal crops (tobacco and corn) combined. And they only find an estimated 3-5% of the crop.

It is claimed that if KY was an independent nation it would be in the top ten producers in the world.

You have to be real careful when hunting in KY and TN. Any wooded, uninhabited area is a possible grow spot. I have walked into both moonshine operations and pot patches while hunting. The only time I was ever shot at inside the U.S. was when I walked up on a moonshine still site while hunting during bow season.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-30-2016 at 03:19 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Stand down Kyratshooter. Those are your boys makin' money.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I find this disturbing, and detrimental to my local economy! Plus there will be a lot of amateurs poisoning themselves with that setup.

As for the Copperhead Road reference, just the amount of pot seized and destroyed by the authorities in KY equals more value than our top two legal crops (tobacco and corn) combined. And they only find an estimated 3-5% of the crop.

It is claimed that if KY was an independent nation it would be in the top ten producers in the world.

You have to be real careful when hunting in KY and TN. Any wooded, uninhabited area is a possible grow spot. I have walked into both moonshine operations and pot patches while hunting. The only time I was ever shot at inside the U.S. was when I walked up on a moonshine still site while hunting during bow season.

Well, if it helps, I gotta assume you can probably buy a fair bit of moonshine for 500 dollars, and the shipping cost wouldn't be cheap....I mean, again, I'm assuming, back home we didn't have moonshiners, we had bootleggers. So I'd have to question how many people are going to splash out.

Quote Originally Posted by tundrabadger View Post
    Well, if it helps, I gotta assume you can probably buy a fair bit of moonshine for 500 dollars, and the shipping cost wouldn't be cheap....I mean, again, I'm assuming, back home we didn't have moonshiners, we had bootleggers. So I'd have to question how many people are going to splash out.
    Bootleggers have to get their stock somewhere....Right?

They fly it up from the south, me son. If it isn't a dry community you can get a liquor import permit, theoretically for your own personal consumption, but you can bring in a fair bit of booze on one of them, fairly regularly, and then it's just a matter of reselling it at tremendous markups. Grain isn't easily available, you'd have to bring it up on the ships in the summer, so i've never heard of anybody making shine. You get homebrew sometimes, but importing and reselling is faster money. Not that I condone doing so, mind.

In my particular state we do not tax alcohol heavily so the price of liquid refreshment from the store is just as cheap as the illegal stuff and you know what you are getting.

The main concern with any moonshine is the skill of the producer and his willingness to discard the first part of any run to eliminate the meths. I know several people from the old days of living in a "dry" county, who partook of the local produce and went blind.

We now have a wide variety of white whisky available at the Kroger liquor store and the price is not bad. It is still more expensive than the standard fare from Jim Beam and some of the others due to its novelty. Most of the "Moonshine" actually has fruit or flavoring added due to the absence of flavor from raw white whisky. It is the same as PGA, no color, no flavor.

Illegal whisky is made to sell on the black market, so everyone that touches it wants a share of the profit. The guy that mekes it is risking prison time, the guy that hauls it is risking prison time, the guy that retails it is risking prison time and they all want a reward for their risk. The producer wants his $100 a gallon, the hauler adds another $100 and the seller his $50-$100 a gallon. Then the guy drinking this swill out of a mason jar, thinking he really has something, is taking the chance of death or blindness.

For that price you can buy some of the best legal whisky made, it is safe and the flavor is consistent.

All this makes me glad I don't drink much.

That rig would make a dandy water purifier though!

Banned

If it's going to be a "BAD" habit it's got to be Bottled in Bonded. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottled_in_bond
    But for water distillation (wink wink nod nod) you can find multiple home distillery kits. example: https://www.amazon.com/Distiller-Moo...ords=distiller

The days of using the converted pressure cooker out behind the half moon house are long over for me. Age the corn & the rye, just let the potato squeezing's cool.

Was in Kentucky on a trip.....was over by Mammoth Cave area.....went to the gas station (Quickie Mart type) looking for the beer cooler.
    Guy sitting next to the till ask what I was looking for...Told him "Beer cooler"
    Wisconsin many stores, gas station and and even county park "Beer Gardens"....????
    He says, "Dry county"....
    The says, If you are thirsty.....reaches around and brings out a glass, gallon milk jug......Think it was like $25 bucks...1982.

Bought a gallon....It would take your breath away....lol.....Lasted a few years at rondy...

I think they may still be a dry county. I would drive down to tennessee by the way of thompkinsville to get a little something to drink.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I don't know if it is true or not, but my Dad told me that some of the old moonshiners in Oklahoma and Arkansas made shine using old car and truck radiators, and people would get glycol poisoning. He told me to never drink shine!!

Your dad was right.

The Glycol poisoning was from not getting rid of the first few ounces of the first run. That was always the bad spirits. Basically the same thing as antifreeze. After the meth was disposed the rest of the run was whisky. The trick for the moonshiner was knowing how much of the first run to throw away. Not enough and you had poison brew, too much and you were throwing away good whisky. The shiners that did not care just mixed it all together and sold it.

The use of radiators as condensation coils put lead into the whisky. It caused a lot of brain damage.

Both of those actions are still part of illegal moonshining. Just because the morons on Discovery channel seem harmless and comic does not mean the modern product will not kill you.

The licensed and bonded stuff is inspected and safe to drink, anything sold in a milk jug or bleach bottle is suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Your dad was right.

The use of radiators as condensation coils put lead into the whisky. It caused a lot of brain damage.

The licensed and bonded stuff is inspected and safe to drink, anything sold in a milk jug or bleach bottle is suspect.
    Well, that explains a lot......stuff I bought in the glass jug made many, many people stupid....at least for a while....

Then again, if there was a blade of grass to hang on to....to keep falling off the face of the earth.......Just saying.

Now that right there is funny, I don't care who you are........well I'm still looking for that guy that was laughing while I was hanging on to that blade of grass.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Wont ship to Alaska. Bastaads!
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!