Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fun with Matches

Yeah, that whole chi thing ain't what it's cracked up to be. I watched a guy do that once. Two grunts later he crapped his pants. BIC lighter for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    You know, one thing I never hear about in anyone kit is a bees wax candle end...1-1/2 long...
    Get that stubby piece lit,... out of the wind and pile in twigs....works pretty well.
    cotton ball and PJ. Does the same thing. Use more PJ if you want it to last longer.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    cotton ball and PJ. Does the same thing. Use more PJ if you want it to last longer.
    Yeah, I know....but there usually a bunch of candle stubs/ends after a long week-end at rondy....from the lanterns....
    When I change one out for the evening, I just save the stub.

Carry loose in jacket/ bags.. pocket...for fire starters, emergency light, zipper lube.
    Just a recycling thing....can't imagine make candle ends on purpose.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

smoke 'em if ya got 'em.
    Rodger that........
    BTW I also use it for dossing off melted lead.....scrape couple of thumb size pieces of bees wax into the molten lead....burns off, then you can skin off the impurities......and I do use paper matches to make sure the fumes burn off.
    In my garage, with a mask on, with door open and a good draft.

I don't remember where I heard this, but one piece of inappropriate doggerel is

Matches, Matches
    You can light them on wood
    You can light them on glass
    And if you're with a lady,
    You can light them on her ***
    Matches, Matches, Matches

Totally inappropriate and locker room doggerel
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 10-27-2016 at 06:59 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Rodger that........
    BTW I also use it for dossing off melted lead.....scrape couple of thumb size pieces of bees wax into the molten lead....burns off, then you can skin off the impurities......and I do use paper matches to make sure the fumes burn off.
    In my garage, with a mask on, with door open and a good draft.
    I should remember that the next time I am scraping range lead.

Banned

For some reason I think I remember using bee's wax on the drill bit of a hurdy-gurdy hand drill? But I was much younger in those days!
    I also recall cooking over a triple wicked bee's wax tin, perhaps it was due to the increased temperature above paraffin or tallow?
    Isn't there something about bee's wax being used to prevent infection?

Got to give those busy little bee's allot of Love & Respect, lowest cost minions that don't have a Union or grievances. As long as they ain't Africanized they don't pose much of problem, as long as you have a bit of smoke to settle them down. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by M118LR View Post
    For some reason I think I remember using bee's wax on the drill bit of a hurdy-gurdy hand drill? But I was much younger in those days!
    I also recall cooking over a triple wicked bee's wax tin, perhaps it was due to the increased temperature above paraffin or tallow?

Got to give those busy little bee's allot of Love & Respect, lowest cost minions that don't have a Union or grievances. As long as they ain't Africanized they don't pose much of problem, as long as you have a bit of smoke to settle them down. JMHO.
    Nope, nope, not gonna do it....nope, nope. nope

Banned

Nope, nope, not gonna do it....nope, nope. nope
    Is this the time to triple dawg dare Y'all? LoL........

Not gonna get sucked in....LOL

Banned

Not gonna get sucked in....LOL
    Aw come on, Y'all know you want to do it. Don't listen to the little angelic guy on the other shoulder. It's not like we would pay any attention to it anyway. (did I ever mention that I have been labeled as an instigator?)

I think most people automatically assume that lighting a fire with matches is super easy. For the boyscouts of old, the one match fire was the standard. However, it isn't as easy as people think. You do have to understand the match and how to use it properly.

In a safe area, I have been known to give the scouts a large box of matches and tell them to "play" with them. This is how you learn what works and what doesn't.
    Funny you mention this. I'm getting better with ferro rod, and have a pile of matches yet never actually played with them. Guess my next practice session will have to be lighting fire with matches!

Quote Originally Posted by NJHeart2Heart View Post
    Funny you mention this. I'm getting better with ferro rod, and have a pile of matches yet never actually played with them. Guess my next practice session will have to be lighting fire with matches!
    Doesn't hurt to know and use as many different methods as you can.....just in case, you break or lose the ferro rod......
    Secret is being versatile.

Doesn't hurt to know and use as many different methods as you can.....just in case, you break or lose the ferro rod......
    Secret is being versatile.
    Agreed!

Banned

Got to be honest, ever since I started picking up Magnesium Fire Starters for $2.00 or less on sale at Harbor Freight, I've been using them for OJT of the G-Kids and anyone else that hasn't spent allot of time fire starting. https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...2SsIBw#sgro=om

I got more of these floating around in the Clan's vehicles, ALICE Packs, next to the BBQ Grills, etc... than BIC lighters. When we went up to Huntsville (Savannah) Thing 2 didn't have any matches or lighters to start the Grill and charcoal broil a couple of Steaks. But she did have a Harbor Freight Mag-Block-Fire starter, and she knew how to use it. (Okay, a little back patting) Even Thing 2's thing 1 & thing 2 could fire up the BBQ with the Mag-Block-Fire starter.

our bees are indeed dangerous... the entire swarm will hunt you down and all sting you..
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Matches, however are actually harder than it seems to light stuff with, especially outdoors, with wind etc. Takes time to learn to cup your hand quickly when lighting them, but if you proficient with them then they are great.
    Always my preferred method is Ferro-rod. Followed by a bic lighter, then potassium permanganate mixed with glycerine. Lastly would be a match.
    Just my order of things, I usually take at least 3 methods of fire with me, and last resort would be friction fire, however I whole heartedly agree, have as many methods you know to make fire, and be proficient at all of them, its really one of the most valuable skills.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

The Africanized ones aren't as bad as many try to cast them. Sure, they are dangerous. But, they also do what they were bred to do.... make more honey with less. They also aren't affected as much by whatever is killing off the European hives here. There are beekeepers in the southern regions that really like them. Just don't treat them like European bees.

Antonyraison...Africanized bees here in the states are not the same as African bees. They are more of a hybrid mix between African bees and European bees. African bees are probably more aggressive.

If you want a fire with,...... matches, lighters, lens, ferro rod, flint and steel. chemicals, fire piston, battery and paper clip (or ball point pen spring)....friction fire methods....road flares.....
    Hang out with a smoker.....even if he has to break out your head light and use the hot element, or stand out in a lighting storm.....
    Even on the moon.