Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage style Bushcraft Kit

Default Vintage style Bushcraft Kit

Looking thru Pinterest and came across this pic.....tracked it down and found the original (I think post)

http://www.theoutdoorlab.com/2013/03...craft-kit.html

Pretty cool, make me want to take some stuff down from display and make one up....like pre 1950's kit.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Is that some kind of whistle thingy right above the rope? Looks familiar, can't place it at the moment...
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

It is. It's called a Boatswain's call.

Love it but them vintage bush kit aint cheap ,only the axe , knife and the backpack will come close to 500-600$
    Check out my survival youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCup...cRQ3O29ZB7Ybiw

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It is. It's called a Boatswain's call.
    I was wondering about that as well.......as well at the gizmo between the Hudson Bay brass fire kit....and the bucket lid...
    Kinda of makes you wonder how big that bucket is....or is it a billy pot or corn boiler.

Did notice how amny knives are included.....I guess we all like our knives.....LOL

I believe that's a trench lighter. The cig lighter of the day in WWI.

LOL...Look like correct again......
    How old are you anyway? WW1?

whats the two sticks below the axe , take down buck saw maybe ?

Judging by the wing nuts at each end....Yeah, I'm thinking bow saw as well.

....and didn't see a lick of paracord...maybe not invented yet?

Boatswain's. Doh.

Lighter...I found something like that once in a pawn shop or something like that. Thought it was neato...a cylinder, with the flint in a separate tiny-diameter cylinder on the outside, and you opened it at the same time you flicked it. Wouldn't keep fluid for crap...evaporated out quick. Either from design or age.

- William Arthur Ward

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Lots of knives and a real assortment of fire gear too. They have a ferro rod, trench lighter, char tube, a F&S striker and a Hudson Bay tinder box with burning glass, but even thou it is "vintage" they left out one of the most popular pre-1950 items ever made, the Marbles Match Box which ever Boy Scout had in his kit for keeping the kitchen matches dry.

They have a 200 year range of technology in place. The only thing I see there that I do not have is the boatswains whistle and I have the whistling covered with a several made from antler, horn and cane.

I love to use the old style gear. Hate to carry it but love to use it.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I could believe most of the stuff....but Boatswain whistle?
    Would get same attention I guess in the woods....
    I just carry my one of dog training whistle

Any way seem it is some ones idea of "What might have been"....but was kinda cool finding out what stuff is.
    Last cool item I found at a gun show was a Marbles Match box....for like $10 bucks....but have been carrying a Chinese brass re-pop as a med case.

Most of my stuff like this, is hanging up on display......but are some are still in use.
    Posted it up in another forum as well....and was kinda greeted by a few thread counters picking out every little thing they didn't think should be included.......
    But mostly were surprised there wasn't a Glock 40 involved.....LOL

Hunter, I think those are pealess. ACME is a very old British whistle maker that made both Boatswain's whistles and whistles for police. I checked their web site and they claim the Boatswain can be heard in a gale. Not like I'd hear it but, hey.

http://www.acmewhistles.co.uk/xcart/home.php?cat=5

Very cool, Hunter!

As it was mentioned earlier, to get these kind of items would be rather pricey. To get a general overall feel for it, one of these could be made with inexpensive modern equivalents such as replacing the BM whistle for a milsurp or water safety whistle which can both be had for around $2. Other swaps include the trench lighter for a BIC, tender box for Altoid's tin, and the axe for a hardware store camp axe. Definitely not originals or period correct reproductions, but a kit could be assembled for under $200 (or even less if some pieces were already owned) that would give a good general idea of what it was like.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

For all practical purposes the trench lighter could be replaced with a Zippo and still be functional and traditional. The zippo was a universal item in WW2.

The Ax/hatchet could also be replaced with a cheaper though still functional model. I know my local Ace keeps a good "boys ax" in stock at a very reasonable price. A good camp ax does not have to cost over $100.

And there are all those nice surplus rucksacks from SG and other retailers. I used a "vintage" rucksack this weekend that set me back less then $20.

I grew up in the 1950s using war surplus gear of every sort and many of the BSA troops of that era were completely equipped with surplus gear right down to the trailers they towed to camp.

There are so many duplications of effort pictured that many of the more expensive items could be eliminated, but it is nice to be reminded how it used to be.

Those were not always the "good old days"! The gear was heavy, inefficient, very expensive on the new retail market (which was why so much surplus was used) and not as durable as much of what we have today.

I don't know of a kid I grew up with that wasn't toting around WWII gear from their dad. A couple even had WWI gear from their grandfathers. I don't know how many injuns were killed toting a WWII haversack.

I agree Kyrat. The only reason I didn't suggest the Zippo was because they run about $20 compared to the BIC which runs for about $2. Also, unless you use it every day (such as a smoker) they are a little much to maintain.

My son recently had a "Cub-O-Ree" with the cub scouts. I couldn't even begin to count how many USGI belts with a canteen I saw running around on the kids. A few were even sporting the army woodland camo covers and a handful of medium alice packs were used for the overnighter. The MilSurp in the scouts continues!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Btw, why is it again that a pea-less whistle is best for survival or wilderness situations? They really are always louder? And "'jam" less often?

Hmmm: http://alumni.umassband.com/2000/the...e-or-have-not/
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 10-24-2016 at 07:36 PM.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    I agree Kyrat. The only reason I didn't suggest the Zippo was because they run about $20 compared to the BIC which runs for about $2. Also, unless you use it every day (such as a smoker) they are a little much to maintain.
    The disposable lighter is a dandy piece of kit by any definition. I called the Bic customer service people a few years back to ask how many lights I could expect from a Bic. They answered a minimum of 3000 lights without hesitating, as if the question was common and they answered it every day.

Add to that the nonperishable property of the better disposables and you have something really dependable. You put a Bic mini lighter in an Altoids SK and leave it there for ten years and it will still fire up on the first strike, give you a couple of thousand lights and keep providing sparks long after the gas is gone.

Zippos and the Storm Kings, Ronsons and all the others are nice if you smoke and keep them maintained, but a disposable lighter in a 5 pack for $2.99 cant be beat. Sometimes I buy a pack and scatter them around even though I quit smoking years ago. There are probably 4 or 12 in my vehicle right now, along with the 10 or 15 cheap lock blade knives.

LOL......Yeah...Bic's every where.......And I quit as well 3 years ago 12/13/2013 11:23 AM.

But every jacket, hoody and coat has a Bic, small cheap folding knife, jar of Carmex, pocket pack of tissues, paper and pencil.

Dollar Store has the regularly 5 for a buck for Scripto's .........