Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vintage style Bushcraft Kit

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    LOL......Yeah...Bic's every where.......And I quit as well 3 years ago 12/13/2013 11:23 AM.

But every jacket, hoody and coat has a Bic, small cheap folding knife, jar of Carmex, pocket pack of tissues, paper and pencil.

Dollar Store has the regularly 5 for a buck for Scripto's .........
    HA HA >>> "3 years ago 12/13/2013 11:23 AM." I quit about 5 years ago I don't have the exact date and time nailed down though.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    LOL......Yeah...Bic's every where.......And I quit as well 3 years ago 12/13/2013 11:23 AM.

But every jacket, hoody and coat has a Bic, small cheap folding knife, jar of Carmex, pocket pack of tissues, paper and pencil.

Dollar Store has the regularly 5 for a buck for Scripto's .........

March 14th of that year for me. There are still bics all over my house. And a zippo that I got off my old roommate for a mason jar half full of rum....but that I'm hanging on to on purpose, mainly because I can tell people that I swapped my roommate a jar half full of rum for it. Good deal all round. I got a cool lighter, he got schnockered for an evening.

I think the time is so memorable because that's when emergency services were rushing him to the hospital.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by fjrmurph View Post
    HA HA >>> "3 years ago 12/13/2013 11:23 AM." I quit about 5 years ago I don't have the exact date and time nailed down though.
    April 14, 2004 3:00pm. Smoked my last one before getting into the truck to go to the hospital while having my heart attack. Crashed when I walked through the sliding doors of the ER. I still remember the gurney ride to the OR with the lights flashing overhead and my new wife running along beside the gurney. Could not breathe, some nurse sitting on top of me doing CPR.

Have not smoked another cigarette, cigar, pipe or used chew since that day.

It has also saved me about $14,000 which I have spent on gear, guns and vehicles with a big smile on my face.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Guess cigarette prices were lower back when....
    But yeah....
    I figure my saying are about $5200 per year @ $100 bucks a week for 52 weeks....+/-....but lately falling behind buying Handi Rifles
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I live in the south and it affects the prices. No tobacco tax other than the Federal requirements, which equal more than a dollar per pack.

When I started smoking Winstons and Camels were $0.25 a pack, now they are $35 a carton here in KY. Generic brands are still $2 a pack here with top brands $4 for a single pack. Take the Federal tax off and generics would be less than $1 a pack.

A pack a day at $4 comes to $1,460 a year.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I live in the south and it affects the prices. No tobacco tax other than the Federal requirements, which equal more than a dollar per pack.

When I started smoking Winstons and Camels were $0.25 a pack, now they are $35 a carton here in KY. Generic brands are still $2 a pack here with top brands $4 for a single pack. Take the Federal tax off and generics would be less than $1 a pack.

A pack a day at $4 comes to $1,460 a year.
    Well, there ya go...the ability to smoke cheaper....and I would buy cig's in Louisiana at 1/2 the price as Wisconsin.

They were and still are just under $10 bucks pack.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I think the time is so memorable because that's when emergency services were rushing him to the hospital.
    Not that time.....was actually walking in for an appointment for a "cath" and check up....after postponing it from July.

Decided to get checked out after the owl hooted at me, a couple of week earlier....as I sat on my porch having a smoke....... at "The Place"....made the hair stand up on the back of my neck...

Go in get cathed/checked, ....give it a few days to heal up the groin.....then load up and head for Louisiana for a month or so.....
    Then when they brought me breakfast....in stead of going home.....found out I had the by-pass coming up.......major bummer.

Y'all reminding me...in a little over two weeks it will have been a year since my last cigarette. Didn't realize that, seems like yesterday.

some nurse sitting on top of me doing CPR
    That was the best part huh?
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Walking Tree, there ain't a "best part" of a heart attack!

I didn't notice the nurse until I looked because there was already an elephant sitting on my chest.

Correct....and everyone has something to stick you with, cut you with and shock you....

Besides, I heard the nurse was a guy......
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Actually the cute little blond student that gave me a bath....in the IC...kinda let me know I was recovering a bit.

I could see her instructor telling her...."OK today, Geezer bath.....Hey look, part of the program....."
    LOL

I suppose that is part of the job they have to endure. There are very few good looking guys in their twenties to thirties confined to the cardiac intensive care unit.

It's a geezer fest!

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    are are all those nice surplus rucksacks from SG and other retailers. I used a "vintage" rucksack this weekend that set me back less then $20.

Those were not always the "good old days"! The gear was heavy, inefficient, very expensive on the new retail market (which was why so much surplus was used) and not as durable as much of what we have today.
    The picture does make the rucksack look pretty nice... though might feel pretty bad on the back..
    I enjoy bushcraft, but I'm the first one to be in line for lightweight quality gear when I can afford it!

Quote Originally Posted by NJHeart2Heart View Post
    The picture does make the rucksack look pretty nice... though might feel pretty bad on the back..
    I enjoy bushcraft, but I'm the first one to be in line for lightweight quality gear when I can afford it!
    The picture has the rucksack stuffed with an empty cardboard box. They never look that squared up and neat when loaded with gear. That type also rides badly and sags down your back. The shoulder straps are a pain to deal with and cut you to the bone in only a few minutes.

Most good book bags have better straps and carry better.