Thread: CZ 527 Carbine 7.62 x 39 mm for Florida Deer/Hog/Black Bear?

Banned

Question CZ 527 Carbine 7.62 x 39 mm for Florida Deer/Hog/Black Bear?

Anyone own/have experience with the CZ 527 Carbine?
    Is the micro-Mauser all that Guns Mag made it out to be? ( http://gunsmagazine.com/cz-527/ )
    I'm thinking of purchasing one for hunting Florida Deer/Hog/Black Bear and would like to hear if it's reliable afield.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have never heard of anyone having a problem with any CZ product and the micro-Mauser has an excellent reputation.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Nice rifle.....all their products have a good reputation......
    I'd buy one if I needed one?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Nice rifle.....all their products have a good reputation......
    I'd buy one if I needed one?
    Been hunting with a scoped Mini-30 for the last couple of years. (eye's no good, had to mothball the open sighted 30-30 lever) Now COMNAVKITCHENSINK has ruled that semiautomatic rifles must be sold prior to Madame President taking office. So I guess I'm in need of a new woods rifle. (Scoped of course)

One of those has been on my want list for awhile.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

Never heard of the micro mauser before, but being a curious person I did a little reading based on this thread. One of those bad boys chambered in .223 is now on my shortlist for when I've finished my diploma, gotten a job and can afford and/or justify spending money on firearms.

Is 7.62x39 enough gun for a black bear? The only people I know who've hunted bear were hunting polar bear, which is an entirely different pile of unpleasantness. Granted, I know of people using lighter calibers for that, but it involved sled dogs going up and bothering the bear, really stellar shot placement and there just not being all that much variety of calibers available at the time.

I was going to complain about the price point.

Then I remembered how much I already have tied up in 7.62x39 caliber guns and ammo. The point became pointless at that time.

And do not forget that you can buy an SKS and 2k of ammo for the cost of one CZ.

Even you Canadians are allowed the SKS, and you get them much cheaper than we do down here in the U.S.

And yes, a 7.62x39 will kill a black bear. The performance and power level are the same as a 30-30, so anything that you would tackle with a lever action 30-30 you can do with the 7.62x39.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-20-2016 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

Then I remembered how much I already have tied up in 7.62x39 caliber guns and ammo. The point became pointless at that time.

And do not forget that you can buy an SKS and 2k of ammo for the cost of one CZ.

Even you Canadians are allowed the SKS, and you get them much cheaper than we do down here in the U.S.

And yes, a 7.62x39 will kill a black bear. The performance and power level are the same as a 30-30, so anything that you would tackle with a lever action 30-30 you can do with the 7.62x39.
    Hey, we're actually allowed a pretty wide range of firearms on a regular PAL, and then you can get permits for restricted and I think prohibited as well, though I've never seen the point personally....too much red tape for my taste, and you're really limited in how you can use them.

Good to know....I don't feel any particular urge to hunt black bear, the bears aren't bothering me any, but it would be good to have the option in case I should ever change my mind, and .30-30 is on the short list for calibers. But I've got a couple of years left before I'm done school this go round, so I have plenty of time to do my homework.

Quote Originally Posted by tundrabadger
    I've got a couple of years left before I'm done school this go round, so I have plenty of time to do my homework.

I see what you did there.

Banned

While I agree that it's a bit stiff, it's still less than a Mini-30. But it's not that easy to find factory controlled round feed 18 inch barreled bolt action carbines with iron sights at 6 lbs. Not to mention I already use 7.62 x 39 mm for Deer/Hog/Black Bear here in Florida.

Normally I use the 154 HP Silver Bear for hunting out of the 16 inch barreled Mini-30 Tactical: deer to 150 yards, hogs to 125 yards, black bear to 100 yards. I've not needed a follow up shot, which is not something I can say for the folks that I've hunted with using the .223 Remington/5.56 NATO on the same game at the same range at the same time. While the 7.62 x 39 is almost at 30-30 level, bullet construction at the slightly slower speed can fail to expand the Hollow Points on soft tissue. Shoulder shots on Black Bear have caused complete mushrooming and even jacket separation, but proper placement ensured one shot stops. I have yet to recover a projectile from any of the deer I've shot, so I can't honestly testify on the expansion. But I did fill the freezer. I've anchored hogs with a single round that those with the 5.56 emptied 5 round mags on to stop. (I've taken Moose with 170 grain 30-30 before, but there ain't no Moose in Florida)

I don't think that I want to get close enough to a White or Kodiak Bear to find out if the 7.62 x 39 will stop thier charge, think I'll stick to the slugs from a 12 gauge pump or other more appropriate caliber. JMHO.
    Last edited by M118LR; 10-20-2016 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I see what you did there. [/COLOR]
    I would say I'm not proud, but I just can't bring myself to lie like that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tundrabadger View Post
    I would say I'm not proud, but I just can't bring myself to lie like that.
    Didn't realize that English was a primary language in Canada? Poly vu france?

Quote Originally Posted by M118LR View Post
    Didn't realize that English was a primary language in Canada? Poly vu france?

Bien sur, Je parle francais, mais l'anglais c'est la langue premier de plus du Canadiens.

Canada is officially bilingual, but anglophones are the majority through most of the country, the exceptions being Quebec and New Brunswick, the latter being the only officially bilingual province. In terms of european colonization, the french were here first, but Great Britain gained control of what is now quebec, as well as new brunswick, PEI, a big swath of Ontario, and of course Michigan after the 7 years war. Now, after the american Revolution, Loyalists were granted land in Canada as recompense for the land they lost in the United States, which is how part of my family wound up here in the first place. This lead to enclaves of anglophones being settled in Ontario, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and a few areas of Quebec, firmly establishing an english speaking population. Immigration from Great Britain was of course encouraged, and what with the highland clearances and the potato famine, we wound up with very healthy populations of scottish and irish people.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tundrabadger View Post
    Bien sur, Je parle francais, mais l'anglais c'est la langue premier de plus du Canadiens.

Canada is officially bilingual, but anglophones are the majority through most of the country, the exceptions being Quebec and New Brunswick, the latter being the only officially bilingual province. In terms of european colonization, the french were here first, but Great Britain gained control of what is now quebec, as well as new brunswick, PEI, a big swath of Ontario, and of course Michigan after the 7 years war. Now, after the american Revolution, Loyalists were granted land in Canada as recompense for the land they lost in the United States, which is how part of my family wound up here in the first place. This lead to enclaves of anglophones being settled in Ontario, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and a few areas of Quebec, firmly establishing an english speaking population. Immigration from Great Britain was of course encouraged, and what with the highland clearances and the potato famine, we wound up with very healthy populations of scottish and irish people.
    OMG, flashbacks of trying to make "Little Birdie" fit in the cadence of "Skylark". (alouette) And I'm not ordering a cheese omelet with mushrooms. LOL.
    But I saddled myself with one of those French Cannucks, (Honeymooned at the Grand on Mackinac Island) and it's a life sentence. (just a Basque Bougie thing.)

But I have traveled all across your homeland tundrabadger, although I carried a 444 Marlin Lever Action equipped with a Williams Peep Sight at that time. Seems that folks of Welsh decent never endeared themselves to the indigenous population? But I have earned the rights of passage of a Coureur de bois. ( albeit part of the Quebec Provincial) All things change, and I find myself in "Heavens waiting room", so I've relinquished the Tundra for some "Sun on the Beach" and spend more time whistling Old Jimmy Buffet & the Coral Reefer's tunes. But the 7.62 x 39 when used within it's limitations can successfully harvest every Deer/Hog/Bruin that Florida has to offer. Bon Appetiit! Mon ame soeur!
    Last edited by M118LR; 10-20-2016 at 10:39 PM.

Just a followup here...I just found a place where you can buy an SKS for 199.95 Canadian, which at the current exchange rate is like 15, 20 dollars US. Now, granted that's your refurbished "fair condition" surplus, but even the real nice ones are topping out in the mid 300 range. Cool.

For a while there was a Canadian outfit that was selling a Norinco SKS and two spam cans (2k) of ammo for $150 Canadian or some ridiculous low price.

For a while there was a Canadian outfit that was selling a Norinco SKS and two spam cans (2k) of ammo for $150 Canadian or some ridiculous low price.
    Back already?

Have not run across that yet, but even at the prices I mentioned, you could scoop up an SKS and enough ammo to seriously ruin a bear's day for less than you would pay for a good range of other rifles

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Back already?
    Yep, I made a post in the jamboree thread and sent you a PM.

I am home so quickly because it was only a 3 1/2 hour drive from the house. I left camp at noon and was home by 4pm even with a burger stop along the way.

Cool....Getting to not enjoy those 12-14 hour drives....means motel-ing it at least once these days.