Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 bulletproof tools for beginner bushcrafters

Default 3 bulletproof tools for beginner bushcrafters

Here are 3 tools , which I think are worth way more than what they cost, over many trips they have proven many things to me !
    I recommend them with my both hand up , if the video helped you make your decision , please let me know it will make me very happy

Check out my survival youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCup...cRQ3O29ZB7Ybiw

Good vid.....
    I personally wouldn't carry a saw unless it is a game saw for mountain side butchering.
    http://www.knifecountryusa.com/store...hr3BoCbr_w_wcB

So I guess, If I was to just go out in the woods, and Make stuff maybe a saw would be handy...other wise, not so much ....for me.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I am not a folding saw person either. I have a couple but they get no real use except for being moved from one box to another.

I have a hatchet of some kind in every kit I pack as well as a multi-tool and one or two other serviceable knives.

At this point in time all my kits are of the drive up to the campsite variety, so I can carry the chain saw if necessary.

Another good video anyway.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

My folding saws get a regular workout. You just never know when you will find a piece of wood begging to be a knife handle while you're out hiking.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I loves me some folding saw. I use that as much as any tool I own outside of a knife. A hatchet (tomahawk for me) is a great tool, too. And who can argue with a Mora? Good vid!!!!

Banned

Good video, 0 for 3.

1. http://ontarioknife.com/shop/fixed-b...val-knife.html
    2. http://www.barcodirect.com/p/101/3-1...20-wood-handle
    3. https://www.amazon.com/Bahco-10-30-2...y+duty+bow+saw

Perhaps these items cost a little more, but they can be carried anywhere for a lifetime. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by M118LR View Post
    Good video, 0 for 3.

1. http://ontarioknife.com/shop/fixed-b...val-knife.html
    2. http://www.barcodirect.com/p/101/3-1...20-wood-handle
    3. https://www.amazon.com/Bahco-10-30-2...y+duty+bow+saw

Perhaps these items cost a little more, but they can be carried anywhere for a lifetime. JMHO.
    So, do you suppose they are available in Tbilisi, Georgia (Asia)?

I'm thinking he got his gear pretty much down.

If the shipping to Asia was not so expensive I would send that boy a Wahoo Killer!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Good vid.....
    I personally wouldn't carry a saw unless it is a game saw for mountain side butchering.
    http://www.knifecountryusa.com/store...hr3BoCbr_w_wcB

So I guess, If I was to just go out in the woods, and Make stuff maybe a saw would be handy...other wise, not so much ....for me.
    For white tail and what we got, I have never needed to saw any bone on an animal. I have taken down standing dead lighter knot trees with axe, chain saw, and folding hand saw. The chain saw is best, followed by the hand saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    For white tail and what we got, I have never needed to saw any bone on an animal. I have taken down standing dead lighter knot trees with axe, chain saw, and folding hand saw. The chain saw is best, followed by the hand saw.
    Elk are a bit bigger that white tail or mule deer....Depending where you are and where you gotta go....some times cut them up is best.

The Wyoming saw is the only saw I have carried would carry....disassembles fits into sheath, has a wood blade as well meat/bone.
    blade.
    If I'm out building blinds or shelters have carried and used a bow saw....but not a normal carry item for me.

Thanks guys !
    I have only bought the hatchet here , all of the other gear I order from amazon ,
    For the price of that hatchet , I would add 20$ and would got a GB hatchet , as for the knife we all know that ka-bar is a beast but I would bought mora bushcraft black for thatprice , saw is the same but with frame
    Check out my survival youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCup...cRQ3O29ZB7Ybiw

Banned

So, do you suppose they are available in Tbilisi, Georgia (Asia)?

I'm thinking he got his gear pretty much down.
    Amazon has shrunk the World hunter63, and he mentioned amazon links. His video hits 3 of the biggies: knife-ax-saw. We probably all have different opinions as to what gear and why, but the general concept of gcckoka's video is dead on. So I'm just opening the ball on discussions of the relative merits of the subcategories.

Example: Hatchet- Miners ax- Full Size ax. Both the hatchet and miner's ax have handles to short to be used from a standing position, so safety protocol directs that they be used kneeling. The 3.5 lbs head on the miner's ax is far more efficient (less manual labor expended) when processing wood than the lighter heads found on hatchets.

Since a kneeling position is dictated by the choice of the ax, the saw becomes of greater importance to wood processing while standing. A bow type saw requires less energy to use than a straight folder. No matter what choice you make gear wise, the concept of knife-ax-saw in his video is bulletproof.

Granted.....I hear ya....us old Geezers doen' understand Global interweb stuff......LOL
    Was more concerned on the vid and activities he cover rather than exact equipment or replacements.

It's like some one post they like Chevys......Some one always bring up....Ford is better.
    Can't help but help.......

Banned

Granted.....I hear ya....us old Geezers doen' understand Global interweb stuff......LOL
    Was more concerned on the vid and activities he cover rather than exact equipment or replacements.

It's like some one post they like Chevys......Some one always bring up....Ford is better.
    Can't help but help.......
    Don't forget that guy that will bring up that Mopar is faster! lol.

But when it comes to the activities on the video, I'd like to see more DIY's following rather than breaking basic safety practices. A pair of amber or clear shooting/safety glasses when performing tasks that endanger the eyes would be nice to see. I'm not sure why you would want to practice chopping while standing with an ax that has a shorter handle than your inseam? Even at home it's a practice that can only lead to injury, and I'd rather see DIY video's that don't demonstrate injury problems to the less skilled. But perhaps that's just me. It's a solid video, but it's preached against by every HS wood-shop or lumberjack safety film produced. I applaud the effort, I'd only ask that the uneducated be instructed with thier lack of experience in mind.

You need to make an example video so everyone can learn from it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Rodger that......

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Don't forget, I did applaud the effort. Whatever criticism I have, I hope it can be used constructively on gcckoko's next video.

I thought it was an excellent video showing good thought and adequate safety measures.

But I did not go to lumberjack school, so what do I know.

To concur, the general "jest" of the vid I suppose is the point. Three tools which are simple and inexpensive but enable the human creature so much...while the details are subject to personal preference and experience - a person who has some personal preference and has good reasons why is one who probably knows what they're doing experientially to some extent.

- What I like about a handsaw is that, though a chainsaw has it's place, a handsaw is so low-tech, cheaper, much less maintenance, doesn't need to be fed, lighter and smaller, and can do a surprising amount of work in surprising time: surprising relative to a person's assumption that a chainsaw automatically is better in all respects just because it's a chainsaw. I've felled whole trees of respectable diameters safely in mind-blowing time without a chainsaw or axe and a low energy expenditure rate...with a tree hand saw.

- Be it short or long handle...axe or hatchet...it can be dangerous if you don't know how to wield it. A person doesn't just swing it around and that's it. You need to know how to hold and move with a hatchet/axe as much as you need to know how to wield a sword in a duel. However, I find myself thinking of all the things I'd need a axe or hatchet for and how often, then think that I'd rather do it with a saw even if I had the other, and end up coupling this thought with the weight and extra space involved with an axe or hatchet...and wonder if I'd even have one at all. And some axe or hatchet uses...I end up thinking I'd already have a certain knife or machete for that instead - items which have more uses themselves.

- I think he was mentioning Fiskars brand? My experience might be unusual, but...I had a fiskars axe once. I used it for many years. A lot. That thing sustained a lot of rough handling. I'd even say abuse, but not to mean that I didn't try to take care of it. It never broke. Anywhere. Not a crack. And though I never sharpened it once, the edge remained very effective.

- I hate bow saws. Hate. Prefer the tree pruner hand saw...whatever it's called (even prefer the non-folding). This is an example of differing though possibly legitimate preferences...apparently people really like bow saws and they work for them. But not me. But then...hehe...many people prefer chainsaws and axes over handsaws in more situations than makes sense for me. And we again have the difference in size/space in pack and complexity - bow saw or the other kind. Though not much.

- Geez, if I'm not careful, I'll be preaching about the merits of only two tools...knives and (non bow) hand saws...and just throwing away the chainsaws, axes, and hatchets.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 10-20-2016 at 06:45 AM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Enjoyed the video thanks

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk