Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heard from Crashdive today

Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I'm glad to hear he came through the storm okay!

All the phone offices and tower sites that I have ever been around either have onsite backup generator or are wire to accept a portable generator (big tow behind rascal). That said, the land lines are 48VDC and fed by a battery bank, which is fed by a rectifier (really big honker) fed by commercial. The general rule of thumb was 48 hours on the batteries if commercial wen downt. That gave us time to get a generator in place if one was not built in.

Thanks Rick..... I suspected as much....Judging by the buildings at the towers and switching stations.

I really didn't want to derail this thread....and glad to here Crash and Mrs. Crash are OK and doing well, ...just waiting on the power coming back ....and clean up the mess.

All the rest of the discussion was triggered by the fact that he checked in with a Tap a talk kind of post on a cell phone.

That said,:...
    My thinking went to...... "Hey Cool, if his cell phone works, even when cable (internet, TV, phone), Satellite/Dish (TV, internet) landline (phone, modem, TV(?)) were all down....during this disaster (SHTF)

Then it's is reasonable to think the MIfi portable hot spot may/should work...or any companies hot spot, as I'm sure ATT, U.S. Cellar, Sprite and others all have their version....as well as game consoles, and T streaming subscriptions.

Now if they depend on cell towers....with a power back up (genset or batteries).....that would mean that possibility the towers may/should work...at least for a while.

If they are working off of satellite's.......local occurrences shouldn't be effected......unless signal is blocked....Like my Dish TV once in a while....usually during the worst weather, when you would really like to have warnings.

Obviously any unit that runs on a battery, that depends on being charged need some sort of input to stay operational.

Just thinking out side the box as far as possible communications goes.....
    In the past Ham radio and High frec. radio has been a standard alternate.

Hope you folks down in Florida, Georgia, S.C and N.C. as well as the whole east coast get stuff back to some kind of normal soon.

Got service back today. Debris cleanup will go on for quite some time, but things are good.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Good to see you back Crash.

Rick, I'll hold your dust collector bag all day long. And I'll go get that left handed spanner or the bucket of steam. Might take me a while though.
    You do the real work, I'll be back soon as I'm done.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Machine shop guys were sent into the office for a loooong rest...

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    A magician gave power to tiny microscopic fairies that carry info from one fairy station to another. The fairy stations are located in the devices we use and on the towers that are around. When a big storm like a hurricane comes around, it blows all the fairies away causing our devices not to work. Services will begin working again when the fairies find their way back.

At least that is what the phone guy told me........
    I thought it was pixies. Just remember to keep the smoke inside and not let it out.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

All electricity work on FM........Electronics on PFM.......