Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I might have this one right

But you still haven't finished the shooting shed!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

This is a replacement for the shooting shed.

I will move the bullet trap to the bottom of the hill and shoot out the door of the shed. I will have about 25 yards to the back of the lot and straight into the bank of the creek.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Where did you get the building from? I might be doing something similar in the future.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

It was a cheap Arrow Shed from Lowes.

I got the 10'x12' unit for $400. I eliminated one panel from each side to make a +- 10'x10'. The platform I put it on was more expensive than the building.

It is not a building you will really brag about but it is cheap shelter you can have done in a day with two healthy men. Or one healthy man and griping teenage boy. Do not press your wife into service on this. Divorce would be certain or the shed would fall and crush you like Samson pulling down the temple! Use help you can yell at, then read the instructions and do it right.

If you have help with a reasonable IQ you can put it up in one day. And the instructions are good! They have made thousands of these things and have the assembly down pat. Each panel is numbered and the diagrams show where each number goes. As long as you start with a level foundation, and follow the instructions, everything will line up with no problem. I had to wiggle a couple of panels into alignment but it was not a big issue or anything to complain about.

I had no problem with holes in the wrong spots or out of line. If your panel does not line up then turn it over, you're holding it upside down!

Like Hunter said, do not tighten everything up until the walls are up so you can wiggle things around a bit, and then go back and tighten all the bolts.

Your helper is most useful for holding a nut driver on the bolts inside the shed while you tighten the screws on the outside with a drill gun.

I get a real kick out of reading the reviews on these sheds. Mr. Clumsybutt would not recommend this shed to his worst enemy because he cut his pinky on a sharp edge. Or the guy that gave up and left his shed half assembled with no roof because it was just too hard to figure out how to put the roof on. And the guy that would never do another of these because the wind blew and bent one of the panels. Hey buddy, they told you not to assemble this thing on a windy day!

And the best ones are those that claim "nothing lines up!" Guess what dude, your foundation is not level, or you are putting the wall panels on upside down!

As I said before, working completely alone, with a bad back, weak heart and weaker brain I assembled the foundation one day, walls the next and roof on the third day, working 3-4 hours real time each day broken by rest stops, ice tea breaks, and nap time.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 11-03-2016 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    This is a replacement for the shooting shed.

I will move the bullet trap to the bottom of the hill and shoot out the door of the shed. I will have about 25 yards to the back of the lot and straight into the bank of the creek.
    OMG, I am so proud of you, never thought I would see the day!!!!!

Well, I happen to have a strapping young 14 year old....and a 10 year old that actually stays and helps. If I don't completely engage the 14 year old, he wanders off. The 10 year old waits for the next instructions. Guess which one got paid more when I did my metal roof?

I've been debating on whether to frame it myself with wood and cover with steel, or buy a premade shed.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I bet you won't be able to beat the price of the kit for a 10x12 with roof.

It just depends on how much framing you want on the structure and what you want to cover it with.

Your climate and situation might be different from mine. Like Hunter said, if snow cover were heavy I would want something other than this particular kit. In fact, I cut 2x4 posts to use as roof braces when we expect heavy snow here.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I bet you won't be able to beat the price of the kit for a 10x12 with roof.

It just depends on how much framing you want on the structure and what you want to cover it with.

Your climate and situation might be different from mine. Like Hunter said, if snow cover were heavy I would want something other than this particular kit. In fact, I cut 2x4 posts to use as roof braces when we expect heavy snow here.
    Good move....Did one of mine as well.....and I had some of that aluminum mobile home roofing sealer/paint/tar?.....any way di seal up the roof and seem to tie it all together.
    Last shed (beside lean-too's) was built by the high school shop class.......8' X 13' with 8' walls...then the barn roof over that.....
    Didn't not think about how tall this was gonna be....LOL

Interesting transport to the bottom of the hill....at "The Place"....but was a few more bucks.

PS...Steel shed ...hole do line up...as stated if you are following directions......
    If it doesn't ..resist the temptation to use self tapping sheet metal screws to "fix it"...it just gets worse.
    Last edited by hunter63; 11-03-2016 at 08:56 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I just built a 12' x 16' in my back yard. I am currently wiring it and insulating it too. I set up a tool bench so I can tinker in there. Can't wait it get it finished!

That the one they were giving you bad time about........?

I love putting lean-to's on sheds....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27