Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I might have this one right

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default I might have this one right

Just finished building a platform for a new metal storage shed. Sitting on piers set in concrete. I leveled and plumbed the posts, set the joists and leveled them, then laid down the plywood.

Due to predicted rain I covered the entire thing with a big blue tarp.

Woke to find that not only had it rained but the platform was so level it would not drain the water off. I had a skim of water covering the complete platform. Had to sweep it off to do today's work.

Hopefully it is also square so the metal shed will go together properly.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

So you are saying you did it with a real level?....instead of a 1/2 full bottle of Miller High life....for checking level.
    Used to use them setting up campers.
    (Congrats on phase one)
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Congrats! Building anything level in your hilly terrain is a challenge. Good job to a great start.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

It always amazed me how little a grade has to be to before you really notice.....only when attempting a level surface.

I started this project by shooting myself in the foot!

I wanted a 10'x10' shed but the only one available is twice the price of the 10'x12' shed, so being the handy person I am I decided I would shorten the cheaper unit to the size I desired. I am also moving the door from the gable end to the side.

It must be noted that these sheds are made by the thousands and all the holes are pre-punched and the instructions are specific to which screw to install at what time. They do not intend you to do things your own way.

They also want you to have two or three people standing around looking bored as the assembler reads and re-reads the instructions and hunts for the piece of stamped metal with the proper part number pressed in. They also insist that you be able to walk around the shed to tighten up things along the walls after assembly rather than tightening them as you go. they also insist that once you start you should not stop until finished and not leave the shed half done and go take a nap!

So I decided to build the shed right up by the house with no room to get between house and shed. I am shortening the shed, building it in the wrong spot, moving the door, and doing it by myself because I like to work a while and sit a while and that seems to irritate my over motivated friends.

But the platform is level!

I have been building the base frame this afternoon. I have the base finished, shortened, squared and the end is now the side. I also have the wall braces fit and shortened to new size so I will start putting the walls up tomorrow.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-14-2016 at 07:19 PM.

good job, I use a water level for stuff like this. Usually I use windshield wiper fluid in the hose for better visibility
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

You had better check it again. That area is so hilly the water may have had a tough time deciding which way to run so it just stayed put. (Congrats)

Wow Kyrat! Sounds like it was kinda overcomplicated. Why not just leave the shed 10X12?

I guy wants what he wants.....besides may have been a "fit there" problem......
    I do stuff like this a lot....modify and existing unit of whatever to "fit" my use.

That is what I was wondering. 2 feet for an outside building just didn't seem like it would make a big enough difference to warrant all the additional work. In most cases, an extra 20 square feet can also come in handy. But I know Kyrat is a pretty smart guy (Don't laugh, Rick!) and thought there might be a nugget of knowledge that could be mined.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Wow Kyrat! Sounds like it was kinda overcomplicated. Why not just leave the shed 10X12?
    Was not my choice. I did not have 12 feet in the place where I wanted the shed. This is intended as a workshop shed so I need it next to the house for electrical access and security.

Shortening the shed has not been an issue, since I just lopped off enough to eliminate one wall panel on each side.

I decided to uncomplicate part of the process last night after I sat and thought about it for a while.

I am leaving the door where the plans call for it and just adding another door in the side where I need it, and I will do that latter. The big sliding doors will be for moving tools in and out and a smaller entry door for regular access. By doing that I eliminate all the extra engineering to make the door tracks fit in the wrong place. This way I just follow the instructions in the book and after I finish I cut a big hole in the wall and add a door.

I have been working all morning and I have three walls up. It is a bit windy to be fun but I have not lost any panels to the wind yet. The plan is to get the walls up today and do the roof tomorrow.

You probably should have put the roof up first and do the walls tomorrow. I understand you are supposed to have some showers. Having the roof up would have kept you in the dry.

The way these kits are made you can not put the roof up first.

There is no frame. You are building a metal box that requires the sides to go up before the roof beams can be installed and the roof panels screwed in place.

I have the floor covered with a tarp so it should remain relatively dry. We are not expecting any showers here tonight.

So you are saying you did it with a real level?
    Actually he did it the other way around. He used that rain to level it. Adjusted till the rain sat perfectly on the platform. Just didn't want to tell us that.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    The way these kits are made you can not put the roof up first.

There is no frame. You are building a metal box that requires the sides to go up before the roof beams can be installed and the roof panels screwed in place.

I have the floor covered with a tarp so it should remain relatively dry. We are not expecting any showers here tonight.
    Built several over the years.....and yeah don't tighten anything up till you have all the bolts in....Then...tighten all to complete.

Neighbor up the hill at The Place" was talking about a dry place to store stuff and possible camp in....wanted to build a steel shed.
    I had offered him the Shasta 16 ft. travel trailer....he and his wife stopped over to look at it....kinda turned their noses up at it.

He went ahead spent twice the money on the shed.......stored a bunch of stuff in it....collapsed for snow load over the winter.....WHOOP's

Last shed was built by the local high school kids.... and hauled to my site.

Finished that SOB!

I will be hurting for a week! I am stating right now that this will be the last big project I deal with alone. From this point on I supply the beverages and supervision only.

I must say that I have been blessed by the weather. Only a slight shower in the past week and that was after I finished the platform and before I started the shed assembly.

I woke this morning to engineer the last two roof panels, the part where I modified the build. Had them in place by lunch and installed the door this afternoon. Then spent a couple of hours on putting away tools and cleanup.

Not a minute too soon either. It is now officially raining. Thunderstorms in the forecast overnight and rain all day tomorrow.

I rest up tonight and start getting ready for the jamboree tomorrow. Pulling gear off the shelves, finding all the propane tanks, food shopping and getting the vehicle serviced.

There is a cold snap on the way so Crash will get his frost fix for the year. We have been sitting around 75-80 every day this week with near record high temps.

You realize of course that in about two weeks you'll be saying.......Dang! I wish this shed was a little bigger. 10X12 would be perfect.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah....Gotta love it when a plan comes together.....

I think someone is messing with ya , just saying !! Saying to put the roof on first ?????
    Last edited by fjrmurph; 10-18-2016 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    You realize of course that in about two weeks you'll be saying.......Dang! I wish this shed was a little bigger. 10X12 would be perfect.
    The 10'x12' would have been perfect except for that pesky telephone pole sitting at about the 11 1/2 foot mark!

I could have moved the power pole, moved the back porch, or shortened the shed.

Actually they had a 10'x10' model but it was $1500. The 10'x12' was only $400. So I shortened it and saved $1100 which I will spend on other impulse purchases.