Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USA mre vrs Canadian mre

Quote Originally Posted by Faiaoga View Post
    Because I have never lived or worked with Eskimos, I had to look up "igunaq" (decomposing walrus meat) and found an interesting BBC videotape on Youtube: Eating Decomposing Walrus - world food and cooking BBC. Interesting short video because it shows the stored meat being chopped with an axe and sliced with the ulu knife. I suppose the meat is an acquired taste - like Twinkies or Hostess DingDongs or palolo worms
    A man named Stefan Gates seems to be the person who filmed this. He apparently made a series called Cooking in the Danger Zone

Honestly cannot say I've ever tried it. I can however tell you that it's a smell you don't forget. Smells like fermenting walrus, for which there is no really apt comparison.

When I'm fishing in Canada I stop for poutine almost every day! You have to have cheese curds- not the same with shredded cheese. As for liver pate, I'd tear that up!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I suppose the meat is an acquired taste - like Twinkies or Hostess DingDongs or palolo worms
    Twinkies and Ding Dongs are manna from the Gods and not an "acquired taste". Snowballs fall into the same category. Never has anyone taken a bite of any of these treats and set them aside with the comment that they will finish those goodies when they are the only thing left on the planet to eat!

Anyone that would make such a statement would probably also refer to Little Debbie's, Slim Jims and Jack Links as "junk food".

You probably tell your kids that frozen yogurt is better than icecream too!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Snowballs are a vegetable. They have coconut and sugar. Those are plants.

While back I picked up some pre-packed meals.......was a thread on it....don't remember where.
    Anyway....were being sold by my milsurp guy.....for like $1.50 each.....lunch and a breakfast meals.

Was packed for "events' or so said the web site....

BBQ in a can with a lots of extra goodies.....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Wasn't bad...but some stuff tasted stale or old.

Just bring it up as an option.
    Last edited by hunter63; 10-31-2016 at 11:23 AM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I personally never had to go to army once leaving school, in years past it was a requirement "conscription" and all men would have to do service.
    I almost did almost join voluntarily, much to my Father's dismay and he had told me not to do it, cause the hey day of our forces was the 70ies through to the mid 80ies (he was still doing camps when I was about 7 or so which would be 1988)
    this would be the typical 24 hour MRE of south african forces, in those days, if you curious also has many MRE's on this channel, from various time periods. He even tries eating some of them. (even some very expired ones...)
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 10-31-2016 at 06:47 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

I cannot help but wondering what soldiers of earlier times would think of these prepackaged manufactured rations. I would be interested in seeing an evaluation of rations used by Roman legionnaires, Rogers Rangers, Mongol warriors and similar. I suspect they would think that modern soldiers have it easy.
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 10-31-2016 at 11:11 AM.

Banned

steak..jpgc-ration_dinners.jpg

Wonder which one is more of a motivation to finish a Battle?

I cannot help but wondering what soldiers of earlier times would think of these prepackaged manufactured rations. I would be interested in seeing an evaluation of rations used by Roman legionnaires, Rogers Rangers, Mongol warriors and similar. I suspect they would think that modern soldiers have it easy.
    I gonna guess you were correct......They pretty much raided and plunder every thing in their path....but were followed by camp followers with some services.

I just received a box of frozen TV style dinners healthy style....for my health insurance company.
    They have a Health Coordinator.......Supposed to call, and visit if necessary......
    Anyway got a box of healthy meals 'Stuff like turkey patty, sweet potatoes, spinach....LOL..Good thing I like that stuff.

Was discussing these at my cardio therapy with the therapist......and another guy says'...."Sounds better that "C" rations....Spam and lima beans...."

I have not eaten too many military rations, though I have managed to survive some unusual school cafeteria lunches. One very unusual food that I have yet to encounter, one that might rival igunaq (fermented walrus), is "hakarl" (kaestar hakarl) from Iceland - it is supposed to be shark meat that has been buried and fermented for six months or so. It may not sell quite as well as Twinkies, but my reading says that it is available in local stores in Iceland. Perhaps some of my distant Nordic ancestors had the courage to try this - I doubt that I will ever have the opportunity (or bravery) to do so.

If hakarl smells and tastes like its description, I think I will have to pass. My Norwegian heritage might enable to survive lutefisk, but fermented Iceland shark does seem to be too much
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 11-08-2016 at 06:23 PM.

Who was the first guy that thought, "Yeah, I'll let some shark meat ferment. That should be good." And how much alcohol was involved?

Well, I don't know about shark or walrus...but there is a lot of lutefisk in Wisconsin
    Scandinavian dried fish then rehydrated,... cod or some other white fish....in cold water and lye....then cooked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk

I can see some one having their fish drier burn down....and with little to eat....some one digs around in the ashes and water....and says in some Scandinavian language...."Hey if we wash it off and cook it?...maybe we won't starve?

Banned

I got to admit that I know about walrus,seal,whale, and shark. But I'll trade them all for Smoked White fish everyday...........
    You don't know how lucky you are to have Walleye hunter63. I'd travel a thousand miles for a Walleye Dinner, .....Opps.......perhaps I've traveled a thousand miles for a Walleye Dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by M118LR View Post
    I got to admit that I know about walrus,seal,whale, and shark. But I'll trade them all for Smoked White fish everyday...........
    You don't know how lucky you are to have Walleye hunter63. I'd travel a thousand miles for a Walleye Dinner, .....Opps.......perhaps I've traveled a thousand miles for a Walleye Dinner.
    Yeah I know.....LOL
    Many restaurants give you a choice....cod or walleye.
    My favorite is trout, from the river at "The Place".....next is bluegill.

Now lutefisk, not so much.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Yeah I know.....LOL
    Many restaurants give you a choice....cod or walleye.
    My favorite is trout, from the river at "The Place".....next is bluegill.

Now lutefisk, not so much.
    Last trout I pulled from a stream was a Dolly Varden. Man that was fresh, and delicious.
    Been even longer since I had a bluegill.

Hasn't been long enough for another nibble of lutefisk. Perhaps seal, whale, walrus blubber is closer to the top of the menu?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I will take you word for it.....

Funny story that just happened....
    A lady secondary insurance company, Shld. "D" said she was my case worker....

I guess after my latest adventure....they were checking up my welfare.....
    I suspect it is a paid service sold to the Ins company....which we pay for.....But I digress....

At the end of the call she informed me that I qualified for 12 free TV dinners(?)....
    I find that extremely funny as most I have seen hae a semblance of real food...

The TV dinners I can reall we processed foods...salty, containing all the stuff the a cardio patient isn't supposed to eat?????
    Are they trying to finish me off?

I woke up thinking about the mystery meat ..Salisbury steak....LOL...WTH?

Anyway, Mre's kinda remind me of the old Swanson T dinners....including the creative names Like Apple Surprise....and mashed potatos...(paste)

We will see.

Yes, I dug this post up so I could share a silly song instead of working the essay I promised myself I would write at least a page and a half of today. What of it?

Quote Originally Posted by M118LR View Post
    steak..jpgc-ration_dinners.jpg

Wonder which one is more of a motivation to finish a Battle?
    They get both! I have pictures of both my boys grilling T-bones for the squad over busted up pallet wood in Iraq.

Still putting it off, Huh?.....Oh well.....LOL

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    They get both! I have pictures of both my boys grilling T-bones for the squad over busted up pallet wood in Iraq.
    I'm going to guess that the folks in Iraq get MRE's not C-Rations, but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say the folks in the squad had far more positive comments for the T-Bones regardless of what wood was used for charbroiling. Send your boys My entire families Thank You for thier service, please kyratshooter.

hunter63, instigating that poor defenseless Canadian again?

The Roman Legionaries had a base ration of porage made from a mix of grains. It was boiled as a soup and meat was added as available. They kept herds of cattle sheep and hogs that followed the army for fresh meat. In garrison they had the same ration with local vegetables and produce added. Living off the land was chancy for an army numbering thousands fighting an enemy that used a scorched earth policy, as many of the barbarians did. They also issued "hard tack" on the march and had bakeries set up in their regular camps.

Mongol warriors lived on raw horse meat and fermented mare's milk supplemented occasionally by the blood of their enemies. They also transported horse herds in the thousands for both meat and fresh mounts.

Rogers Rangers had a standard ration issued to all British troops. It included dried peas or beans, salt pork or fresh if available, salt beef or fresh, rice, flour or corn meal, a pound of hard tack per day, tea or coffee and sugar. The British ration was very filling and quite nutritious for the time.

And hard tack has been part of the ration since since the Roman Empire. It is still part of the NATO rations of every nation even if it is called something else.

Tundrabadger, if you do not quit posting all this horrid music we are going to turn the lights out! We know all you Canadians are scared of the dark.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 11-21-2016 at 04:05 PM.