Thread: How to harvest protein using just your eyes,ears,nose and hands.

Banned

Default How to harvest protein using just your eyes,ears,nose and hands.

The bush is a supermarket filled with food, you just need to know where to look.

https://youtu.be/ZFAwkemUtWM

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome....
    The is an intro section to say hello at:
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Welcome beepete. I dare say you won't catch an American possum that way. They have a prehensile tail and will be ever so happy to wrap your hand inside teeth and nails. I had a couple of friends that found a possum crossing the road. It was blinded by the car's lights so they decided to catch it. One of them grabbed it's tail and the possum took on the role of a buzzsaw. Having a living eating clawing animal adhered to his hand was not what he had it mind so he gave the possum a mighty fling in the other friend's direction. The possum landed squarely on the other guy's chest and went to work chewing on him. Both visited the emergency room that night. On the plus side they learned to leave possums alone.

From the title I envisioned a much smaller, more disgusting meal. Something along the lines of booger pie or earwax soup.

I'm thinking 1 and done.....
    Showed up with the same vid on many forums.....not too many replies.

Guess was just drumming up views.

Wasn't there a rule about not posting video links until you had 10 posts?
    And then when they complained about it, they got banned? That was fun to watch.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
    Wasn't there a rule about not posting video links until you had 10 posts?
    And then when they complained about it, they got banned? That was fun to watch.
    Bhohahaha.......Maybe not ready for the tic toc....yet.

Waiting for some thing.....
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by hunter63; 10-16-2016 at 09:30 PM.

No rule about not posting links, but rather a software controlled things............which is kind of hit or miss if it actually works.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

another idea.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Welcome beepete. I dare say you won't catch an American possum that way. They have a prehensile tail and will be ever so happy to wrap your hand inside teeth and nails. I had a couple of friends that found a possum crossing the road. It was blinded by the car's lights so they decided to catch it. One of them grabbed it's tail and the possum took on the role of a buzzsaw. Having a living eating clawing animal adhered to his hand was not what he had it mind so he gave the possum a mighty fling in the other friend's direction. The possum landed squarely on the other guy's chest and went to work chewing on him. Both visited the emergency room that night. On the plus side they learned to leave possums alone.

From the title I envisioned a much smaller, more disgusting meal. Something along the lines of booger pie or earwax soup.
    There are a lot of little creatures that people seem to not know much about. I guess Disney is partly to blame for some of it. Oh look, a cute little skunk being friends with a rabbit, never mind that skunks eat rabbits. So yeah, possums are one of those little cute things that you stay far away from. They will...tear....you....up.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I caught a baby possum in a live trap last summer. I was trying to decide how to let it loose since I didn't want it to think I had anything to do with the capture. In the end, I had to dump the stupid thing out of the trap because it wasn't smart enough to know it was open. Then, when it hit the ground, it just sat there. It must have taken 10 minutes for it to realize it was free and amble off. Not at all like the one I cornered in a crawl space under a house. That rascal was P.O.'d deluxe.

You'd think the possum would squeal or something, but he just looked kind of put upon.

I've picked up possums by the back of the neck not the tail. That is how I was show how to do it by old timers who caught many and threw them in the root cellar to eat later. It wouldn't be wise to pick up an alley cat by the back of the tail either. If an animal has it's front legs in a hole you can grab the tail, but I was suprised to see in the video that the man had the animal outside the hole, but I saw he made sure to keep the animals feet on the ground and kept tension on it.
    Possums do open their mouth half way and hiss a little when cornered. They look dangerous. Raccoons when cornered will always stretch way out and dive with both front feet for your left hand if you wiggle it in front of them.
    I wouldn't stick my hand in a hole and it's almost impossible to corner an animal in the woods, but it's easy to find them or chase them up a tree and it's easy, for me, to shake or knock them out. The hard and scary part is for the guy on the ground who must club the raccoon because he needs to have the animal almost fall on his head to be fast enough. After the big thud, they still run off pretty quick.

Okay....there are a whooooole lot of things wrong with the post. Firstest, I don't stick my hand in a hole with or without creature be it mammal, fish or "other". Secondest, If a coon is up a tree, that's fine by me. He's safe, I'm safe, hey, we're both happy. Thirdest, standing where a raccoon can almost fall on your head puts you right square in the, "Hey ya'll. Watch this" category. Lastest, never, ever put a critter IN the root cellar. The ideal is to get them out of there. But, hey, that's just me.

Agree......does sound like a "Hold my beer and watch this"......
    Last possum was under my shed at "The Place"....stepped out .....223 made fast work at about 75 yds.

Most animals are scary if you're not familiar with them. I've had them as pets as well as my kids, my father and grandfather. I've gotten coons and porkies out of trees by climbing up after them and watched my father in his late sixties knock out four coons from one tree. I told him to be careful and he just laughed. My son recently told me a similar story about when they did the same thing to a porky when he was younger. I've chased down running possums and snatched them up by the neck while people shouted don't touch him just to bring him back to show them. It's not really crazy, brave or scary. It's just a matter of experience with the animal you're messing with.

I had a opossum find it's way into my hunting camp one night and there had been reports of meth heads breaking into places......

I woke up hearing things being shuffled around in the kitchen. My first thought was a meth head and he was looking for a knife.

Long story short I shot the damn thing with a .45 with a suppressor and it showered the kitchen with blood. Never again !

Yes I knew it was a opossum when I shot it but I didn't think it would explode like that ! Lmao !

Nothing worse than a meth head possum. Probably why it exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Nothing worse than a meth head possum. Probably why it exploded.
    I dunno, a meth COOK possum would be pretty bad too.