Thread: Gerber Strongarm Review

Default Gerber Strongarm Review

Our Youtube channel did a review of the Gerber Strong Arm. Put it through a few tests for durability as well as usability. Test include. Batoning (Yes I know, why would anyone baton a knife? It's a durability test.) Chopping, Feather Sticking, Fish cleaning, and a spark test for the spine. I have owned my strongarm for a while now and absolutely love it. I use it as my primary knife and my mora companion as a companion to the StrongArm. You can check it out below. For a 50 dollar price tag it's definitely a nice addition. I would add also that this knife is more of a survival knife than a "bushcraft" knife.

Do like the drop point design and lack of saw on the back....Would actually consider carrying one of these......
    Thanks for posting....
    Psssssst Hold he object still when talking
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Another nice video, I haven't seen anything on that knife yet, very good field test. Video quality is excellent.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Banned

Well done. I've been using the Gerber Strongarm on and off for over a year. I've had extensive training and more than a few true life survival experiences, but I have to admit that I would have liked to have this knife with me during those times. I like your video enough enough that I'm weighing signing Aboard, But.

Might I ask why you didn't display/document it's performance Beaver Chewing? Yes I understand that batoning is a standard test nowadays, but if you have a tool to cut the log you batoned, why would you use your knife for that task anyway? So I have to admit that I couldn't put allot of focus on the chopping test, but I understand that it is also another of today's "sought after" prerequisites.

For those that are interested in drawing a spark with a rock, the coating on the back-strap will have to be removed prior to enabling this procedure. While it's not as good a yield as a traditional carbon steel knife, it can be used with a bit more effort. But the steel is far better at resisting saltwater corrosion.

It is a bit thick for filleting, but it still guts & skins small to large game within the boundaries of a knife of this size. While it's not optimum for standard Bushcraft tests, you would be hard pressed to find a better Survival Knife at this price point. The serviceability of the sheath system is up to the user, but it designed with Military operatives as a primary consideration.It holds a working edge longer than most straight carbon steel edges, but not quite as long as D2 tool steel. Although it is far easier to resharpen than D2.

Overall, (while I am more versed with the MK-2/Ka Bar and many other Government Survival Knives) I'd have to choose this simple rugged knife as my first choice if I was on a budget. This would be the knife I would give to a beginner and expect them to still have after much more experience. It's just a plain Jane working Survival Tool, nothing fancy, not to costly.

Please continue with your excellent video reviews, tailoring them to Today's Bushcrafter's is probably much better than specializing on the opinions of an Old Warhorse. Thanks for your hard work, the video is extremely informative. JMO.