Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida under assault again: MATTHEW

Lowes was having some kinda hootenanny yesterday with tool tents set up outside, weinie wagons, and food trucks. The parking lot was full. I wasn't in need, just driving by, but I can't imagine the lines at the checkouts.

Saw a FB post.

Redneck Hurricane Prep. List.
    Beer
    Duct tape
    Beer
    Visqueen (or blue tarps)
    Beer
    Canned chili
    beer
    Nachos
    beer

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Lowes was having some kinda hootenanny yesterday with tool tents set up outside, weinie wagons, and food trucks. The parking lot was full. I wasn't in need, just driving by, but I can't imagine the lines at the checkouts.

Saw a FB post.

Redneck Hurricane Prep. List.
    Beer
    Duct tape
    Beer
    Visqueen (or blue tarps)
    Beer
    Canned chili
    beer
    Nachos
    beer
    Sounds like tornado stuff .......but forget lawn chair........for sitin' in the basement.......
    Other wise ....good kit.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Hope you are all ok down there. For the kids, get them their own head lamps and coloring books.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yep, the mechanically operated coloring book is a great standby. Get the big box of crayons with the sharpener in the box, that is always a hit.

In my family at about 8-9 we got included in the big folks card games, Rummy, Rook and such, sometimes broken up with Yatsee or that one where you stack the blocks until they fall down. Chess and checkers are also good along with Chinese Checkers and Monopoly.

My Dad was a championship level chess player but he could not play Yatsee worth crap. It used to make him so mad he would throw tantrums when we beat him.

And there is the ultimate time killer, the 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

A 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle and a pair of scissors are all that is needed to complete the puzzle in record time.

It is interesting to me that Hurricane Mathew comes just after National Preparedness Month in September. Most people probably did not pay any attention, but maybe this event will be a needed reminder.

In my opinion, the USA should pay much more attention to general disaster preparedness year round than it does. I have gone through at least a dozen hurricane/typhoons, but still see a general complacency concerning the need to be ready. Without discussing politics, I hope that people use this as a wake up call to plan ahead.

I do not live in Florida, but headlines I read say that the National Guard has already been activated. This seems to be a wise move.
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 10-06-2016 at 05:13 PM.

You been in the apple pie again?

You can't much prepare for a Cat 5 Hurricane making a direct hit other than clean up and support. Ask the survivors of Andrew.

Maybe a full tank, go bag, and prophetic insight to where it's going.

Then there's the spin off tornados...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Hope you are all ok down there. For the kids, get them their own head lamps and coloring books.
    Already had the headlamps for the kids, even got them for all the adults.
    Everyone had decided to shelter in place, but my sister is bailing out of West Palm and making a run up here. Her son is at UNF so I'm not sure if I'll have her entire clan here or not. Seems that every update is increasing the severity and duration on the space/first coast.
    Hope it doesn't come down to eating the WISE food on the roof?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You been in the apple pie again?
    No apple pie, no hard cider, not even any apple juice. Just a personal opinion that anyone is free to ignore.

OK now, this is getting serious.

They closed Disney World!

They are forecasting a 12-15 ft storm surge with 15-25 ft surf on top of that. A lot of people at the beach (currently under mandatory evac) are staying. You know its serious when they announce - nobody is going to come and save you. You are just going to die.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

No Disney and 25 foot waves? Both on the list. That no Disney thing makes the top of the list though.

Have ya'll considered that these recurring hurricanes may be God's way of telling you that you should move?

This is the first BIG hurricane that has hit mainland in years.

Even Sandy was barely up to category 1 when it made landfall back in 2012.

I guess that means God does not want Florida cleared out at this point.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-06-2016 at 08:15 PM.

The last direct hit on Jacksonville by a major hurricane (we call little ones tree trimmers) was 1964.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

He just cycles them through for a new batch of snowbirds. 2012? Yeah, that sounds right. The population of Florida probably rolled over at least once in 4 years.

I bought me a hurricane helmet just in case.....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Best wishes to anyone being affected by Hurricane Mathew. They can live without electricity for a while but they cannot replace any lives lost.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    They are forecasting a 12-15 ft storm surge with 15-25 ft surf on top of that. A lot of people at the beach (currently under mandatory evac) are staying. You know its serious when they announce - nobody is going to come and save you. You are just going to die.
    They always say that. They give you until winds hit a certain MPH and then they open all of the bridges to the barrier islands that were under mandatory evacuation. I have a handful of friends that live right on the beach and they all stayed in place.

What sucks is that people refuse to evacuate and then call just as the winds are getting out of hand and say they are scared or in danger and need to be rescued. Putting first responders at risk.

I stayed in place under a mandatory evacuation once in the mid 1990's. I don't remember the storm. It didn't end up hitting us. But, my wife wanted to stay at her parents new house. I didn't care for my brother-in-law and so stayed home. When it looked like we were going to take a direct hit, my wife called crying for me. But, it would have been more dangerous to leave at that point. The storm turned north. Just another near hit.

But, that lesson was learned. I had been through many storms and my wife had a few under her belt. But, the memory of Andrew was still fresh enough to freak her out. So, we stay close together now.

I called my Mom to see if my dad and Sean had got all the shutters up and everything put away. My branch of the clan were still putting up the shutters here at my house. She said they were fine and that they had bread and water and that was all you really need! The first time I heard something like that was on this site during a blizzard or something. So, is she a member of this site or is that something from the news. I grew up with very little money. But, we weren't bread and water poor.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

May God look over all of you, stay safe and do what you know to do.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Batch - Would it freak you out if I told you I am really your mom?