Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida under assault again: MATTHEW

Banned

Unhappy Florida under assault again: MATTHEW

Looks like it's going to be another blustery weekend. Folks in NC might want to review thier Hurricane emergency kits.
    Link: https://weather.com/storms/hurricane...-forecast-oct2

Saw that coming......Holy Moly .....everyone keep safe. and dry....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

See? Another goofy name for a storm. Mathew. That sounds like a book from the bible. How dangerous can a storm named Matthew be? Name them Killer or Thug or GonnaBlowYourHouseAway. Then folks would sit up and take notice. You don't hear us naming Tornadoes goofy names. When we talk about tornadoes we talk about HeadForTheHills, HunkerDown or HeadForTheBasement. That shows respect.

(Stay safe!!!!!!)

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I always liked the female names, which seemed more appropriate. Irate insane dervishes, slinging things about, howling, destroying the result of your hard work, making you want to go inside and hide.

Name it after a woman and it is a force of nature. Name it after a man and it sounds like domestic abuse!

How can a Mathew or Walter compete with a Katrina, Rita, Sandy or Camille?

It makes it seem as if they are trying to accomplish something they are not suited for.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Banned

That storm of "Biblical" proportion (Matthew) could be of larger impact than FLOYD (circa 1999). The projected track is bringing Matthew even closer than the track Floyd took. http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/lo...1999/453344066

Changed allot of plans for the weekend. Folks that where coming from South Florida, to visit with Folks coming down from Georgia, are first responder's so that's a NOGO.
    Made sure to bring home an extra 400 feet of 6 mil plastic sheeting, a couple of rolls extra strength duct tape, and a replacement battery powered lantern. Depending on tonight/tomorrows predictions I might even pick up some more cases of bottled water. I'll end up with the folks from Fort Stewart (Savannah) if the track shifts a little different. Got to admit that my time in-service has prepared me for KAOS of this nature. Just hope this all blows bye. I've already logged far too many hours of emergency relief during my lifetime, don't need to log anymore on family or neighbors. Just the lament of an Old Man, MOTHER NATURE can be a serious wench when She decides to be. If I go off air, don't send the Cavalry until Tuesday. Thanks for Y'all's concern. Have a Great time at the Jamboree.

My only relatively new prep is filling meds. Everything else is old hat.

Banned

Had to patch a skylight during the middle of the last one, ain't going on the roof with a can of spray seal this time. I'll duct tape extra sheet plastic till it passes.

About as ready as I can be. Had to reschedule a minor medical thing - didn't want to be in the fog of anesthesia when it arrived.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

Anyone got any idea of what the best board-game via lantern light is for a 4 year old (male) and 7 year old (female) is? Us Older Folk's just settle in with the Mille Bornes deck and while away the dark hours, but the Grand-kid's grew a bit restless observing the elders during the last outage. So I'm open for suggestions!

Y'all keep your heads down......Stay safe.

Banned

Thanks hunter63, get yourself better so that we can rendezvous at the "Dinner Bell" Trego! For most us folks here in Florida, this is about as "Old Hat" as a Blizzard in Wisconsin. Perhaps a bit less forgiving, but a whole lot warmer! LOL
    Not to mention that I can still swim longer than I can chop wood!

Wish I could help with entertaining the kids. I taught elementary school fro awhile and even back then if it wasn't on a computer... they fought it. I'ld try to make it a learning experience and enjoy some face to face people skills with talkin' story and board games. But stash some electronic gizmo batt op game to pull out as a last ditch. You'll be a hero.

The times they are a changin'.

Banned
    Last edited by M118LR; 10-04-2016 at 07:30 PM.

Where is klak? Don't forget the bread, milk and eggs!!!!!

wheat bread, gluten free
    Lactaid
    Egg Beaters...

Don't make survival like they used to...

Going to buy a pizza oven that runs on coal.... we will survive! on Pepperoni & Sausage.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Not to worry, Domino's will deliver in a hurricane!

I had them deliver during a blizzard several years back.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Banned

Looks like things are improving, sounds like it's just going to be the locals huddling near the Naval Base. Fort Pierce, West Palm, and Savannah have decided to shelter in place.
    If you ain't getting UNO's or Giordano's delivered, what's the sense in surviving the storm?????

On the lighter side, the Rayovac lantern I picked up at HD didn't light. There was definitely a run on the local HD today, man can they sell stuff quick. Went to DICK's (ensure you include sporting goods if you google) in search of a replacement lantern, while it's only across the street, thier entire camping department was still fully stocked. Found a Field & Stream 600 lumen 6D battery lantern, also scored a Coleman 4D battery & rechargeable 6V Sealed Acid Rechargeable Battery Pack Lantern. Not sure if the rechargeable pack 2000015140 is worth the cost, but as I was concerned for providing light so the G-kids could play board games the cash was expendable. Got to admit that I'm impressed by the Field & Stream lantern. It might even replace the old Coleman duel fuel in shelters for under aged folks.

I would have thought you would have had all that stuff.....?.....But Hey why not...another reason for gear.
    This here was from Rita, .....this was from Camille, .......this was from Doug.............
    Should have collectors addition flash light......or stoves, or bread/milk.

The update at 4AM has it passing closer (right over) our area. As soon as its light enough, and after this band of rain stops its time to board up the windows.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel