Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nettles

Default Nettles

Are many of you a fan of nettles? In the UK they can be find pretty much everywhere.

Traditional uses here are as a soup or herbal tea, i have not tried the soup (im happy to hear anyones recipes) but found that the tea works best combined with mint as that helps to remove the bitterness and also works very well as a digestive aid.

I am also only familiar with the "stingy" variety, any information on any other varieties would be appreciated.

Hi Leon. Two species around here, both stinging, both European. I like them, but I haven't found any within 20 miles of my house here in Pennsylvania. Went to a horse camp 40 miles away and plenty there.

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I love nettles, but the tea we make from the nettles here never tastes bitter! Also is yummy as a steamed veggie. They don't grow here naturally, so I ordered some seeds to grow them from. This is just the plain old stinging nettle.
    Actions speak louder than words

As a steamed veg do they make a good substitute for spinach? Im thinking of trying them like that but am wondering what to serve them with.
    "It is sometimes better to miss an opportunity than to invite disaster" - Stilgar, from Dune by Frank Herbert

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They taste different than spinach, but you can use them in a similar way. Try steaming nettle leaves, and putting them on as pizza topping, or serve with olive oil and garlic on pasta, or as a veggie side dish (lemon butter sauce with it?!). Similar to spinach, nettles contain a lot of iron and are healthy on top of being tasty.
    Actions speak louder than words

You might try adding them to a soup or a stew. The nettles are high in vitamins A and C as well as iron, as WildWoman said, and protein.

Enjoy!! http://www.mariquita.com/recipes/nettles.html
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I tell you what - i really fancy the idea of them on pizza, there just something that makes that seem appertising! Got some nettles in the garden too

Oh cheers for that link, the risotto sounds genius!

I see the theme you both have inadvertently presented, pizza and then a load of italian style recipes
    "It is sometimes better to miss an opportunity than to invite disaster" - Stilgar, from Dune by Frank Herbert

A cure for the sting of stinging nettles is jewel weed, aka Touch-Me-Not. I tried this last week and it works. I have used it 3 times in the past 2 weeks. Find a leaf or 2 of jewel weed, it grows in damp conditions in part sun, often in roadside ditches as long as they remain damp all year, then smash and rub the leaf on the affected area. I got permanent relief in 1 minute. I was amazed and astounded! Someone should bottle this stuff.

Stinging nettles are everywhere here, Theres some large ones in my back garden i think, I think nettels used in stews are quite nice, Making them into a soup is when their best, I use vegtabal stock and a load of fresh large nettles, Cooked slowly, Makes an exelent, Very healthy meal.

Ive found they go well with steak
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Is that a larged leaved plant? If so we call them "Doc" leaves in the UK, they grow near water and as you stated provide relief for stings!

I missed the season a bit though for eating the nettles they are getting old round here and some are flowering. And a flowering nettle is bad news, it makes it sting when you urinate!

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Is that a larged leaved plant? If so we call them "Doc" leaves in the UK, they grow near water and as you stated provide relief for stings!

I missed the season a bit though for eating the nettles they are getting old round here and some are flowering. And a flowering nettle is bad news, it makes it sting when you urinate!
    Doc leaves are great for nettle stings, Running the area under flowing water will also take the sting away, Works a treat.
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Leon, you are supposed to pick the nettles with your hands, lad. I don't even want to think about what you're doing.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Lol.

Well if you don't believe me go find some old nettles that are flowering and pick them, with your hands of course, and try eating them (anyway you like).

You will have a nasty surprise i assure you, these crystals form from the chemicals (i can't remem their specific name) but they cause your urine to be gritty and sting like hell - not fun

Dock, aka "burdock" is not the same thing. Dock is low to the ground with huge leaves. Nettle is a standing plant. Stinging nettle has spines on the stem. If you brush up against it it hurts for about 5 minutes like you had been stung by a bee.

Yeah no confusion with doc and burdock here, dandelion and burdock is a traditional drink so i know the difference - gardners are funny saying these plants are weeds...

how do you cook them for salad or tea without stinging your tongue.i have them everywhere around here and just alway avoided them.

the sting is removed once cooked, steaming is a popular method.

Big Tone - You want to pick young shoots that are only a few inches high and only the top most leaves on the plant. Those leaves are a paler green. That keeps you away from the big stinging hairs.

This Weekend I Shall Have Nettle Tea I Think

If we don't hear from you.......just kidding.