Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Living in a thermos bottle

Ivy eats concrete and brick.......just saying.
    I was using the word ivy in a generic way. Y'all are right, and I know. Anyway, depends on exactly what kind of viney plant you use. And again that would be on it's own structure as well, not the concrete.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    It got cold last night, down into the 40s, and our high temp for the day yesterday was mid 60s, will be today too.

I have not turned the heat on, yet the inside temp is sitting on 75f degrees.

I can only suppose that this is residual heat from the refrigerator, which is the only appliance operating at this time, and the hot water heater, which is located in a space in the center of the house.

Makes me glad I insulated the crap out of this place when I rebuilt.

Probably time to seal up the windows and prep the pipes and such for the first freeze.
    Just cooked off here this morning. It was 87 degrees yesterday in Mississippi.

For the block walls I've seen them filled with vermiculite or blow in insulation before, You could also get 1" foam board and tack them on the outside of the wall before you back fill and maybe tar the loving hell out of the blocks before you put on the foam.

Also proper drainage should help allot as well for a house foundation, Planing on rebuilding my house soon seeing how the basement is a complete write off of a mess I'll be pouring new footings 3' away from the existing structure and building a 3' knee wall and building a shell around my existing shack and demolishing the old place from the roof down as I build the new one second floor to first.

Around the 3' knee wall I'm planing on insulating the wall with 1" Styrofoam then building large raised garden boxes around those knee walls for an added layer of insulation with concrete pads under the boxes leading away from the house to a weeping tile.

Once that's all said and done put the wood stove in the basement and turn my place dang near into a sweat box instead of the drafty old shack it currently works as.

Also FFT for people caught with no way of fixing current heating issues when I was homeless but had an unheated garage to sleep in I pushed and old couch facing inwards towards the wall and shoved a foam mattress in there to form a "U" to sleep in.
    Sleeping bag, Winter coat, and some cardboard over top kept me in retaliative comfort although my face was still cold in the morning.